Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #1

Previously enjoyed 95 Gulfstream Scenic Crusier

Well.. Ive been wanting an RV for a while.. and last week saw an RV, a 1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Crusier 34 foot long for sale for $13,999. I spoke to the dealership that had it and found that its mechanically OK. It has a Ford 460 with an auto tranny, tandem back end. Everything works. Floors repaired due to leaks so no carpet in it, but nice hardwood floor. Has leveling jacks, not sure if it has a Generator. The blue pain on the outside looks like its losing its clear coat... It only has 50,000 km on it. It might require a new front windshield to put back on the road
. The slide out works perfectly

So mechanically and inside looks great, needs a fresh coat of paint to look pretty again.

So... there I am surfing the web reading what I can and find similar units for 13K to 28K. Have you ever had one of those days when your being too lucky? Well I emailed him an offer of $5,500 to take it off his lot before the snow comes.

I am now the proud owner of a new for me, previously enjoyed Scenic Cruiser.

Now, I know she will get all new fluids over the winter, she will get her roof repainted next spring, and I'll be putting new tires on her just for safety sake, but even if it costs me 3 or 4 grand to make right I still think I got a great deal

OK, here are the pictures

The shagging aread

Gank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

So I know nothing of the history and do not expect to get very much other than it was a trade in... I will be able to trace the previous Owner and will ask some follow up questions

So what do you guys think I need to do?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Check the roof at the front and rear End Cap seams and the Clearance Lights for leaks. No matter how small the crack cover it if you are storing it out side for the winter. You can do a better job next spring when the weather warms up. My front seam and the Bath Room Sky Light both showed evidence of leaks. Fortunately I store mine in the barn and could work at my leisure. The Clearance Lights on mine will be replaced with LED's hopefully next year. I just through some caulk around the edges and lens to stop any potential problem until then.

Enjoy it, Ed
Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Be warned on my unit the following manufacturers are out of business. Creation Windows, Transfer Switch Company at least the 50 Amp models. The Porch Light Manufacturer, and a few others I can not think of right now. Gulf Stream will be of little help, they no longer make Motor Coaches.

Ed
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Anything you need should be available from other manufacturers, just might require some creative work to find or install them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Nice looking unit! Congratulations! I'd suggest taking an oil sample and get it analyzed to find out the health of the engines' innards.

If you don't have manuals for your systems, make a list of make, model and serial # of each item and google them. I have most every item's manual in PDF files.

Looks like an hour meter on the dash under the radio next to the ash tray. I'd think there'd be a generator attached to the other end of it.

Some manufacturers go above and beyond on support. I've gotten free replacement parts for my Fantastic Fan, Big Foot Levelers by Quadra Mfg., and Progressive Industries for my EMS system. Very nice to do business with!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
Check the roof at the front and rear End Cap seams and the Clearance Lights for leaks. No matter how small the crack cover it if you are storing it out side for the winter. You can do a better job next spring when the weather warms up. My front seam and the Bath Room Sky Light both showed evidence of leaks. Fortunately I store mine in the barn and could work at my leisure. The Clearance Lights on mine will be replaced with LED's hopefully next year. I just through some caulk around the edges and lens to stop any potential problem until then.

Enjoy it, Ed
Thanks for the update. There had been a lead, its fixed now so I am told
I will throw a tarp over it for this winter, too late to do much now

In the spring going to follow the advice here and reseal the roof and marker lights

Yeah the engine shows only 50,000 km on it, but yeah Im going to get the engine oil tested, and switch it over to

I will get a full listing of parts and models.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you did quite well and you'll have a great deal of fun working on it to make it yours. I'm sure you'll have many memories in that. Enjoy and good luck with your new project. Post some pictures as you go.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SCORE! Sounds like an awesome deal.
My Coachman of the same year is set up very similar.

Your chassis is a Ford F53 motorhome chassis and many parts are different from the Ford truck so if you are buying parts make sure you specify F53. Common problems are weak fuel pump, cracked exhaust manifolds and rotted out sway bar bushings.

When you are checking chassis components, see if the tag axle brakes are functioning. Often these older tag brakes are dead from lack of maintenance and are not part of the factory chassis but have been added by the coach-maker. We can help with diagnosing and replacement parts suggestions.

Enjoy your "new" motorhome!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #10

Thanks for the warm welcome. I really am looking forward to our first big trip. What's the advantage of the tag rear end. Or is it a pain in the butt?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gank View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome. I really am looking forward to our first big trip. What's the advantage of the tag rear end. Or is it a pain in the butt?
The tag is a good news / bad news thing. It was added to support the extra weight of the longer gas chassis and adds additional braking and stability from crosswinds and passing trucks.
Bad news it is was a band-aid for the bigger chassis until Ford and Chevy came out with better chassis in '99/'00 and adds an additional braking system to maintain and 2 more tires to buy.
Don't worry about it, it is a good thing for the chassis you have - just make sure everything is in good order and enjoy the motorhome.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstream