RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #1

Exclamation Satellite help

I have a 2007 Crescendo 8386 and am wanting to use the satellite port in the bay that holds the electrical cord. I have a new Dish Playmaker dome and Wally unit. I not sure how its wired up. I have a 3 way box with SAT,DVD,AUX on TV 1, TV2, TV3. TV1 is the main tv , TV2 is the bedroom TV and TV3 is for the connections in the front pass side bay for an outside tv. The in motion sat on the roof gave up the ghost so now i just want to use the wally for front tv only. The entertainment center has coax cable coming out that says antenna in and sat in. when i hook up the sat in to the wally i get no signal and same with antenna in. IM not sure where the sat port in the electrical bay goes to? any help? There is also a coax coming out of the antenna port? with a redpower button but i dont think that is from the electric bay.

Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Most satellite dishes have two coax lines, as well as the power line. If you remove your old dome, they would be easy to unscrew and hook up to a modern dome or a full size Traveler dish. Your satellite box is set up to have two cables. They then use a combiner to put the two into one which will then go to the switchbox.

I had Camping world install my dish and receiver, and it was worth every penny. They will figure everything out and you drive away with everything working.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I would like to fix this myself as had hack jobs done before and find out too late. I've been told the wally cant use a splitter. so somewhere there has to be one because i had roof mounted satellite working but a splitter must be present so when you use the sat connector in the electric bay it bypasses the roof sat ?
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry, but I have never looked at a Wally.

You use the term splitter, but my reference was a combiner. A combiner takes the two coax lines coming from your sat dish and feeds it into a single input jack. I'm not positive of this, but you might be able to do that feeding into the single jack in your utility compartment. I would call dish tech support, and then ask them to transfer you to RV support. (call during US business hours to get someone based in the US)

I have Dish at home, so I just ordered a VIP 511 (or was it a 611?) receiver with three tuners and a DVR. The unit is bigger, but having a DVR was important to us, as we like to record our favorite shows when we are out and about. Dish sent a team to install it and only charge $10/mo for the extra receiver.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #5

The connection between the Dish Network dome and the receiver needs to be a direct wire without splitters switches of another device. Any splitting needs to be done after the receiver.

I use the Winegard Pathway X2 and I connect it to the cable connection in one of the outside bays. Mine works great!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:53 AM   #6

When I have to use my portable dish due to trees blocking the roof unit I use the outside cable in jack and switch the coaxes on the back of the dish receiver then it feeds the TV output select and can see it on all 3 TVs. I leave the selection to dish. I just manually change the coaxial

nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite