RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #1

Slide out problem

I've got a 99 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser diesel pusher motorhome with a large Dewald slide room.It'single rod hydraulic system which uses cables to assure that the room comes in and goes out evenly. The room has nylon rollers which ride up when you retract the room,and then roll on the carpeted floor.
The previous owners installed some furniture that was considerably heavier than what was originally in the coach and we've had problems with the slide out room as a result. The issue is that the one side hangs up. In the past we've gotten it to work by taking off the furniture and recently, on recommendation of a traveling serviceman, using a pry bar to lift up on the one corner so that the rollers get "over the hump" so to speak. This guy, who had an excellent reputation, said the hydraulics and motor etc. seemed to be working fine, and the system should work with just a little help.

Our situation is that we now can't get the room to retract. It'll come in an inch or so and the one side wants to continue but the other side hangs up. We have several guys here at the campground to help but need to know what we can safely do to get the darned thing in. You can adjust the cables if your room is not moving evenly, and one guy thinks we should try this, but I don't think that'll solve the hanging up problem? We're hooked up to shore power and our batteries are fully charged. The unit is level.

We've tried manually pumping it in and it does the same thing. It'll start to come in, a tiny bit, but then hang up. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as Dewalt is no longer in business and Gulfstream doesn't make motorhomes anymore. Sorry for being long winded, but I wanted to provide as much info as possible

DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
I've got a 99 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser diesel pusher motorhome with a large Dewald slide room.It'single rod hydraulic system which uses cables to assure that the room comes in and goes out evenly. The room has nylon rollers which ride up when you retract the room,and then roll on the carpeted floor.
The previous owners installed some furniture that was considerably heavier than what was originally in the coach and we've had problems with the slide out room as a result. The issue is that the one side hangs up. In the past we've gotten it to work by taking off the furniture and recently, on recommendation of a traveling serviceman, using a pry bar to lift up on the one corner so that the rollers get "over the hump" so to speak. This guy, who had an excellent reputation, said the hydraulics and motor etc. seemed to be working fine, and the system should work with just a little help.

Our situation is that we now can't get the room to retract. It'll come in an inch or so and the one side wants to continue but the other side hangs up. We have several guys here at the campground to help but need to know what we can safely do to get the darned thing in. You can adjust the cables if your room is not moving evenly, and one guy thinks we should try this, but I don't think that'll solve the hanging up problem? We're hooked up to shore power and our batteries are fully charged. The unit is level.

We've tried manually pumping it in and it does the same thing. It'll start to come in, a tiny bit, but then hang up. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as Dewalt is no longer in business and Gulfstream doesn't make motorhomes anymore. Sorry for being long winded, but I wanted to provide as much info as possible
Just a suggestion. Maybe you have ran the batteries down and the pump isn't seeing full voltage. And the pump motor is probably getting pretty hot. Give it a few hours and then try it again.

Sudsy

Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Just a suggestion. Maybe you have ran the batteries down and the pump isn't seeing full voltage. And the pump motor is probably getting pretty hot. Give it a few hours and then try it again.

Sudsy
Thanks! We've only tried for a brief period each day and we're hooked up to shore power so the batteries are being charged. Pump and motor seem to be working fine. Just can't get by the hang up.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #4

Are you sure you don't need have a broken roller on the side that hangs up? If the roller is ik then I'd be suspecting a possible hole in the floor where the roller rides.
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

Sorry for the fat fingers! Lol
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #6

Unfortunately I took it to a dealer with an excellent service department and was informed that in addition to needing new slide rails, my floor is badly rotted and the slide will need a complete rebuild. You could not see that there was any problem just looking at the outside but the slide room apparently wasn't sealing properly at the bottom allowing water to get in. I have a good friend in Arizona who knows of a good RV restorer there so I guess we'll stay with him this winter and get the job done there. The unit, otherwise, is a pristine one-owner. I'm 99% sure they had no idea there was a serious problem. Even if I spend 10K on the rebuild, I'll still only have about what the unit's worth in it, plus we'd have trouble finding one we like better.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:58 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
(Know this is old, but NOTE TO FILE): I did watch a youtube where owner found rot in floor at corner was his issue, letting roller drop; had to build stand to roll his slideout out/ off to complete repairs
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #8

We might be having the same problem with a 2004 Gulfstream G7. One of 4 slides, the bedroom slide, driver side, does not retract. I've seen others with a contactor issue and the floor may be another place for us to look. A local dealer is looking at it, but we'll most likely be doing some repairs ourselves. Thanks for the input.
Neondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
(Know this is old, but NOTE TO FILE): I did watch a youtube where owner found rot in floor at corner was his issue, letting roller drop; had to build stand to roll his slideout out/ off to complete repairs

This was exactly what my problem turned out to be! Took it to a place here in Arizona where we're spending the winter. Just finished yesterday. Floor repair, new seals, new awning for over the slide, rebuild one of my leveling jacks, repair exhaust system on my generator, repaired a couple small cracks in my exterior fiberglas shell, and the bill was still less than half what I'd been quoted by the dealer in Montana last fall. Not cheap, by any means, but a heck of a lot less than I'd been expecting!!
Old 03-25-2018, 10:29 PM   #10

Glad you got your problem solved. I also have a Scenic Cruiser 2002, but so far I have had very few issues with this coach. I bought it brand new in April of 2003 and it has been a very good coach so far. Have 71K miles now on the Cat engine and the engine seems like it is running better then ever. Have had little issues like I had to replace the ice maker on my Norcold 1200 lrim. I got it through the internet from Amazon and at the same time I changed the valve that controls the flow of the water into the ice maker. Works great now, we can have mix drinks again.

I also had Freightliner install a exhaust manifold. It had a small leak and I probably could have gotten away with just changing the gasket, but I told them to change the whole thing.

I will be hitting the road again as soon as the weather gets a little better, it is still too cold in a lot of places in the U.S. So we have been staying in our stick house since the middle of January.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
Glad you got your problem solved. I also have a Scenic Cruiser 2002, but so far I have had very few issues with this coach. I bought it brand new in April of 2003 and it has been a very good coach so far. Have 71K miles now on the Cat engine and the engine seems like it is running better then ever. Have had little issues like I had to replace the ice maker on my Norcold 1200 lrim. I got it through the internet from Amazon and at the same time I changed the valve that controls the flow of the water into the ice maker. Works great now, we can have mix drinks again.

I also had Freightliner install a exhaust manifold. It had a small leak and I probably could have gotten away with just changing the gasket, but I told them to change the whole thing.

I will be hitting the road again as soon as the weather gets a little better, it is still too cold in a lot of places in the U.S. So we have been staying in our stick house since the middle of January.

Gulf Stream must have made a few major changes in their line between 99 and 02 as mine has a Spartan chassis and a Cummins engine.

BTW I don't know if you're allowed to promote commercial enterprises here but I would recommend RV Renovators in Mesa without reservation.
They're the ones who repaired my slide, rebuilt a leveling jack, and a few other things. Great work at a fair price!

Tags
slide, slide out