RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:46 AM   #29

No i have not fixed mine yet but mine has something to do with the fuel pressure i now know the fuel pressure is dropping my gauge was bad...i have replaced the fuel pump but i am going to remove it again i just have not had time to drop the tank again ....after 10 or 15 miles my fuel pressure will drop to 0 at wot not shure if the new fuel pump i put in is bad or it is something else the voltage going to pump is 13 volts......you mite try replacing the fuel pump relay mabe it is breaking down when it gets hot....

Laydbak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #30

That shure sounds like a fuel problem. Having no codes or cel i think i would go to orileys and borrow a good fuel pressure guage and check it driving mine has good pressure when parked but falls to 0 when driving new as yours is if you have not changed the fuel filter 10 bucks would be first thing ...i bought a fuel pressure gauge at harbor freight and the extension hose had a Schrader valve in it is what had me baffled for awhile ..it would show pressure go up but did not let the pressure fall so i thought all was good with fuel after checking with a gauge from o'rileys i found out i have a fuel problem...i replaced the fuel pump already but did not solve the problem..i think i may have got a bad new pump or have missed something in the tank that is stopping the fuel flow ...oh well i will get back on it when i have time.....

Old 10-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #31

Take this for what it is worth.

I have read on threads here on IRV2 that some coaches have two fuel filters in the fuel line. Some have had fuel issues that were corrected when the second filter was changed.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #32

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
I have owned Fords for many years and only once was stumped by a condition where the engine ran rough and mpg dropped with black exhaust soot. It turned out that the fuel rail has a vacuum activated dump valve that returns fuel to the tank whenever you would remove your foot from the gas and fuel pressure was not needed. The fuel injectors allow fuel in with a timed pulse but the pressure going to the injectors was controlled by the vacuum to the dump valve. It is attached to the fuel rail. Mine was secured by three socket screws and had a rubber vacuum line on a dash pot on the top.

A diagnostic test did not disclose any fault and after replacing sensors and other parts it was a random "shot in the dark" that fixed the problem. While standing in line at a parts store I overheard a service manager talking to a customer about the same symptoms and was perplexed as to how to fix it. Apparently there is a rock catcher in the dump valve that eventually gets clogged and causes this condition.

Good luck.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Is this fixed yet ? If so what was the problem in the fuel system?
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #34

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
OH, and we had a fuel pump screen, the one surrounding the fuel pump, get gummed up with varnish which caused the pump to starve after a prolong drive at high speed or up hills. We thought it was a relay since it would start up after sitting awhile but realized afterwards that it was just having fuel seep into the pump, past the blocked screen. That was on a 17 year old truck.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:53 PM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree on replacing FP relay; had pump replaced on one vehicle, relay replaced two weeks later when would not start in driveway; any/ all new pumps SHOULD GET a new $10 relay (those small contacts are kinda delicate); after that, start looking for BAD CONNECTIONS in FP wiring/ joints. ONE LAST THOUGHT: read somewhere recently about "experienced tech" found a problem in the fuel rail, but do not recall details, maybe trash/ maybe check valve????????? (Some possibilities?) https://www.bing.com/search?q=ford+f...QoALDS&PC=HCTS
Old 10-26-2018, 03:22 AM   #36

No i have not solved the problem yet ...have not had the time to get back to it
Old 10-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Your fuel pressure gauge should have a bypass hose and a manual valve .Stick the hose in a gas can ,With the engine running open the vale and see if you have
or there is hardly any flow yes it is a fuel
pump problem . I have had clogged in tank
filter ,I think you replaced yours , corroded wire connector at pump .
corroded wire connector going into F P relay .Kinked or squashed fuel line .

I was a licensed mechanic at Ford

We serviced hundreds of F350 s with

V10 .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #38

Thanks for the info i will try that and check thos connectors after i have replaced the fuel pump and it does the same exact thing i am skeptical about taking the pump out again ...it starts easy every time and runs great and has fuel pressure of at least 35 lbs to 40 sitting there also no problem for 10 or 15 miles then the pressure will drop to 0 at wide open throttle...thanks again
Old 10-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #39

Laydbak
Originally you stated that the engine misfired when you pressed the pedal down or climbed a hill.That sounds like a exhaust valve slightly leaking. At first it will miss a bit. That will later become a loud POP noise. A bad exhaust valve. Won’t be the first time.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #40

Have a 2000 Winnebago V10 that lost power intermittently, similar to yours. Replaced the fuel filter, no difference. Cleaned the MAF, no difference.

It didn't throw any codes for quite a while. Finally did and they showed lean condition on both banks. Don't remember specific codes though.

Were on the road so couldn't drop the tank. Installed an inline fuel pump in place of the filter and it runs perfectly. Am going to drop the tank this winter and replace the pump.
IDTag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Is the CEL on? Have you connected it to a code reader to see if any error codes show up?

Since each cylinder has it's own coil, I'd suspect one of those or a bad plug wire before I'd think fuel issue.

A bad plug wire will give you similar results.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post

A bad plug wire will give you similar results.
No plug wires on Ford V10.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, v10