RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

V10 engine miss

I have a 99 Gulf Stream Conquest (vin says it is 98)it has the v10 engine bought it used it has 37 800 miles it is on the ford e350 chassie .It has a miss after about 20 or 30 miles runs perfect for awhile the miss occurs when in a pull or when the gas peddle is mashed down to get up and go .This is what i have done and now im stumped any suggestions would be appreciated..
First i changed fuel filter under driver door (twice) changed fuel pump and sock in tank cleaned tank changed fuse under hood checked fuel pressure 35 to 38 pounds changed fuel pressure regulator, fuel peddle sensor,all coil packs,and spark plugs cam sensor,crank sensor took the computer out checked for burnt or bad connectors also opened it all looked good any idea what next?

Laydbak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Is the CEL on? Have you connected it to a code reader to see if any error codes show up?

Since each cylinder has it's own coil, I'd suspect one of those or a bad plug wire before I'd think fuel issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #3

You left out the mass air flow sensor. They can be cleaned.

As mentioned, I would get a code reader to see if something is coming up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #4

Yes i have used a code reader ..it shows no codes and i have also cleaned the maf sensor I also unhooked the exhaust pipe just to make shure it was not stoped up .. I changed all plugs and coil packs thanks
Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #5

What is CEL on?I have tried code reader ..no codes
Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 AM   #6

CEL is Check Engine Light.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:51 AM   #7

No the cel dont come on...I ordered a ecm for it acouple days back should be here next week ..hope it works i have replaced most eveything else..
Old 08-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #8

skip

I just replaced all of my coils and problem went bye-bye
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laydbak1 View Post
I have a 99 Gulf Stream Conquest (vin says it is 98)it has the v10 engine bought it used it has 37 800 miles it is on the ford e350 chassie .It has a miss after about 20 or 30 miles runs perfect for awhile the miss occurs when in a pull or when the gas peddle is mashed down to get up and go .This is what i have done and now im stumped any suggestions would be appreciated..
First i changed fuel filter under driver door (twice) changed fuel pump and sock in tank cleaned tank changed fuse under hood checked fuel pressure 35 to 38 pounds changed fuel pressure regulator, fuel peddle sensor,all coil packs,and spark plugs cam sensor,crank sensor took the computer out checked for burnt or bad connectors also opened it all looked good any idea what next?
Have you 1) check engine vacuum readings (steady of fluctuating?), or 2) checked fuel tank for water (or added HEET to fuel tank (in case of water in tank?).(.I.e. Valve or bad fuel?); 3) was either fuel filter clogged, or both? (I.e. RUST in tank) Water can give a miss, but also cause tank rust, but also can GROW ALGAE in the tank, that also clogs the filters; 4) WHAT condition was the pump SOCK in/ color unusual, rust evident? THE OTHER THING that WATER/ ALGAE CAN DO is mess up FUEL INJECTORS, so that they stick CLOSED or stick OPEN, or SPRAY IRRATICALLY; (ADD some (SEVERAL BOTTLES? appropriate to tank size?) LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER (NOT a solvent, per label) or MMO to the fuel tank??). If you can set a CODE, you can pin down to a cylinder/ injector?
I will go back and reread, in case I missed something?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Have you 1) check engine vacuum readings (steady of fluctuating?), or 2) checked fuel tank for water (or added HEET to fuel tank (in case of water in tank?).(.I.e. Valve or bad fuel?); 3) was either fuel filter clogged, or both? (I.e. RUST in tank) Water can give a miss, but also cause tank rust, but also can GROW ALGAE in the tank, that also clogs the filters; 4) WHAT condition was the pump SOCK in/ color unusual, rust evident? THE OTHER THING that WATER/ ALGAE CAN DO is mess up FUEL INJECTORS, so that they stick CLOSED or stick OPEN, or SPRAY IRRATICALLY; (ADD some (SEVERAL BOTTLES? appropriate to tank size?) LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER (NOT a solvent, per label) or MMO to the fuel tank??). If you can set a CODE, you can pin down to a cylinder/ injector?
IF WATER is the problem, it might sit in a clump in bottom of tank UNTIL driving/ hills/ accel/ decal make it disburse/ mix, but without (enough alcohol) it cannot burn, thus the MISS. My Dad (b.1904) used to tell me the problem w/ Model-T & water up North was freezing in the fuel line, and they would add any alcohol they could find :-)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #11

Yes i have checked vacum i dont remember what it was but it was good ...when i put in a new fuel pump i also replaced the sock and drained all the gas out and put new in ..the sock i took out did have a lot of rust but i used a rag and cleaned the tank best i could ...new fuel new sock new fuel pump and new fuel filter under the door ...im waiting on a computer i orderd for it now..and i have put 3 bottles of lucas in gas tank....thanks for the reply
Old 08-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
X2................I'm thinking injector(s) problems
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1) DO NOT BE AFRAID OF "REBUILT INJECTORS", (e.g. Rockauto/ others) but FUEL, even new/ fresh, CAN BE bad/ contaminated w/ water; 2) Put some MILES on it, and let the LUCAS work; 3) Miss noticeable under LOAD tells me either spark misfire, or injector erratic, but either MIGHT clear itself w/ mileage, by letting the (LUCAS/ other chems) work. There was even one OP that found a tiny spider mist of water leaking from a hose fitting, spraying on plug, (but would be dry if you looked w/ engine off); he Only found it because it pulled the doghouse so he could see engine while traveling. LUCK to ya..
Old 08-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #14

I had a 99 v-10 that I replaced all the plugs in it ran ok for awhile then started doing what you're is doing. It ended up being a bad brand new plug. That are a pain to get to do maybe one got damaged while installing? Just something to check. I didn't have any cel lights either.

bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, v10