Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #15

It has ES complete that was changed out in 2011 with 53k, it now has 68k

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
It has ES complete that was changed out in 2011 with 53k, it now has 68k

Fleetguard ES Compleat is a very good conventional coolant and you should be testing for DCA level right away. It's very important to the health and longevity of your engine to keep the DCA replenished as necessary.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #17

Steve, When I made the purchase it was inspected, and I remember them looking at the antifreeze through some type of small tool. But I will get those strips and have it tested.

Thanks so much as I am still in the learning stage of ownership of a DP.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Steve, When I made the purchase it was inspected, and I remember them looking at the antifreeze through some type of small tool. But I will get those strips and have it tested.

Thanks so much as I am still in the learning stage of ownership of a DP.

I'm guessing that was a refractometer and it was to test the freeze point. The freeze point is important as it indicates the coolant/water ratio which should be close to 50/50 for good heat transfer. The DCA level is more important as that gives you cavitation protection. Cavitation protection is critical in a wet liner engine as the ISL is.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 10-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #19

Been reading up on this, sounds as if you can buy the filters (2077) that are preloaded with DCA. Or you can buy it in concentrate form if the levels are low. Which is better? And if the levels stay good how often should I change the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Been reading up on this, sounds as if you can buy the filters (2077) that are preloaded with DCA. Or you can buy it in concentrate form if the levels are low. Which is better? And if the levels stay good how often should I change the filter.

If you use the test strip and your DCA level is safely in the "green zone" just use one of the filters with DCA. I generally use the WF2071 which has 4 units of DCA. If your DCA is below the green zone, you should add the concentrate to get the level up to the green and then also change the filter to add a maintenance dose. I would ask the Cummins guys how to decide how much concentrate to add. If you happened to be off the scale on the high side, you can change to a blank filter with no DCA.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #21

Ok sounds good, thanks a bunch!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The previous owner ran Dello 400. Is this a good choice?

Dello is fine. I use Rotella T in mine because you can get it anywhere.

Does anyone know how many grease fittings there are?

I never counted however there are two that you should never grease. Those are located on the front end, one each side of the axle shaft. If you grease those, you will blow out the seals. The zerks were used during assembly only. They should be removed and plugs installed so someone doesn't grease them by mistake.

I will be putting her in storage until next April, should I replace the fuel filters now, or should I wait until next spring after I empty that first tank of fuel.

I change my fuel filters every oil change.It won't make any difference if you change them before storage or not. Add some bioside and then fill the tank. Run the motor and Hurricane enough to get the treated fuel into the systems.

I am a little confused on the Hurricane heater, should I be doing anything with it? Can I assume that if the antifreeze check is good on the engine that the antifreeze is also ok on the Hurricane, since I believe they run off the same coolant.

You assume correct. Just run the system enough to get the treated fuel into the system

So Dons2346, I have been looking for these two grease fittings. When you say axle shaft, are you talking about the steering shaft?

Old 01-30-2016, 10:44 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:

2077 have no DCA additive and should be used with non-DCA anti-freeze such as OAT.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Brett,
As far as the suspension I was able to get a PDF from SAF-HOLLAND USA, Inc. which was the definition of the fittings that should not be greased because they are greased for life and you will likely damage the seal trying to put more in. This was for my suspension on a 05 CC Inspire but you should check to see if your suspension is Holland and get the model to check on line. I would send my PDF if I knew how but it may not apply to your coach.
Next there is a web site that answers all questions on various hydronic heating systems RV Hydronic Heater Forum Storage should not be a problem if the fresh water that circulates through the hydronic heater is not exposed to freezing weather.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:17 PM   #25

Front suspension is SAF- Holland, but cannot read the model # on the metal tag. I did some looking on their website and found some that look identical to mine. They had listed both top and bottom zerks that are located on the king pin as sealed and should not be greased. So I did not touch those.

Also, I haven't changed out the coolant filter yet, but need to get it done before my next trip as I now have 16k miles on the current one. I did test the coolant and the DCA levels were good.

Thanks for everyone's help, this is my first DP and love learning everything I can about it.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Front suspension is SAF- Holland, but cannot read the model # on the metal tag. I did some looking on their website and found some that look identical to mine. They had listed both top and bottom zerks that are located on the king pin as sealed and should not be greased. So I did not touch those.
i believe those on kingpin should be greased, but the two on knuckle columns shouldn't.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #27

Maybe I am talking about the same thing, as its the large bracket that sits underneath the airbag. Both the lower and upper control arms connect to it. It has two zerk fittings on it. One upper and one lower, and on the Holland website showed to not grease these fittings. Have not found anything that list the part names in my Dynomax Chassis Manual.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #28

Countryfit,

You are correct, after some more research found on this website. It shows the knuckle post zerk fittings should not be greased. There is two on each post top and bottom. The CC chassis manual shows that these should be greased every 5k.

The king pin which runs through the knuckle post does require grease.

http://ww1.safholland.us/quicklit/XL-AK397-01_en-us.pdf

Sorry, I should investigate more before posting so I know what the heck I am talking about.