Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #1

02 Intrigue....My first oil change questions

So I have owned this 02 Intrigue for 8 mo. and I am getting ready to do my first oil change. Its the 36' evening star with the cummins 400 ISL with 73K miles.

The previous owner ran Dello 400. Is this a good choice?

Does anyone know how many grease fittings there are?

I will be putting her in storage until next April, should I replace the fuel filters now, or should I wait until next spring after I empty that first tank of fuel.

I am a little confused on the Hurricane heater, should I be doing anything with it? Can I assume that if the antifreeze check is good on the engine that the antifreeze is also ok on the Hurricane, since I believe they run off the same coolant.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
The previous owner ran Dello 400. Is this a good choice?

Dello is fine. I use Rotella T in mine because you can get it anywhere.

Does anyone know how many grease fittings there are?

I never counted however there are two that you should never grease. Those are located on the front end, one each side of the axle shaft. If you grease those, you will blow out the seals. The zerks were used during assembly only. They should be removed and plugs installed so someone doesn't grease them by mistake.

I will be putting her in storage until next April, should I replace the fuel filters now, or should I wait until next spring after I empty that first tank of fuel.

I change my fuel filters every oil change.It won't make any difference if you change them before storage or not. Add some bioside and then fill the tank. Run the motor and Hurricane enough to get the treated fuel into the systems.

I am a little confused on the Hurricane heater, should I be doing anything with it? Can I assume that if the antifreeze check is good on the engine that the antifreeze is also ok on the Hurricane, since I believe they run off the same coolant.

You assume correct. Just run the system enough to get the treated fuel into the system

Old 10-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #3

Thanks dons2346. Very good info, hopefully those two have been capped, but will keep a look out for them.

Besides biocide should I also add in anti gelling agent? Sitting at a half tank now. Or should I just wait until later in the fall to fill her up the rest of the way.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

Older rig and different chassis, but I have 22: (Sorry, Formatting is lost at posting)

Rear of Coach:

U Joints 2 4 (only one of each pair needs grease)
Drive Shaft 1 1
Brake Slack Adjuster 1 each side 2

Front of Coach:

Upper King Pin 1 each side 2
Lower King Pin 1 each side 2
Tie Rod 1 each side 2
Slack Adjuster 1 each side 2
Sway Bar 1 each side 2
Steering Driver side 2

In Forward Driver Bay :

Steering Column U joint 1
Steering Column Pivot 1

Driver Positon:

Steering Column U Joint 1

Use a cardboard box under grease zerks
Raise coach on 3 2x10 boards
Rear back onto boards
Front drive onto boards
Turn Front Wheels Out and work from front.
remove old grease where possible
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #5

I agree with the advise . You might think about an oil sample to at least get a baseline. As far as the heater im not familiar with webasco but does it have antifreeze like an aquahot? If going into storage do you need to get fresh water out of the webasco?
Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #6

Thanks deandec, maybe older chassis but it still gives me areas to check out. This will be my first time crawling underneath. I do have 4 inch ramps made from glue lam beams. At the same time I'll be looking everything over really well.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I agree with the advise . You might think about an oil sample to at least get a baseline. As far as the heater im not familiar with webasco but does it have antifreeze like an aquahot? If going into storage do you need to get fresh water out of the webasco?
Rod, our coaches have a Hurricane heater. The fluid that runs through it is the engine cooling system coolant.

As far as the gelling, check your local stations and see when they switch over to winter blend diesel and top your tank with that and you will be ok.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #8

Just go to Speedco. All done right!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #9

No Speedco in Idaho. In Boise we do have a Cummins service center, but they are in my mind too expensive.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:42 AM   #10

So today I changed oil and all filters. First time crawling under my rig and hopefully got all the grease fittings.

There was a total of 5 that I found on the drive shaft, two on each end and one on top. These actually looked pretty dry and will do them more often than just once a year.

Then I moved to the front and found a total of 6 on each side:
Two on each steering arm
One on each "A" arm (lower control arm)
One on each upper control arm (attaches to air bag bracket)
Two on each upper and lower O bracket . Don't know the technical name for this, but its the large brace that sits right next to the back side of the wheel.

I looked for the two that should not be greased, but not really sure where they should be on this type of suspension. What is considered as the front shaft as there is nothing that fits that description?

I looked at all steering joints and found no grease fittings.
Hopefully I didn't miss any?
Overall everything was very easy to do. Underneath looked very good except the rear oil pan looked as if it drag the ground in its past sometime. There is evidence of a slight oil leak around the oil pan. Did not use any oil in the 5.5K miles that I have put on since purchase. It now has 69k miles.

The previous owner has never done a air dryer service. Next project on my list!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

My steering column has the two universal joints. One below the floor and one between the legs of the driver in the cab.

On the newer rigs, it may be covered by the steering column white vinyl casing that CC added.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #12

Many ISL engines have 2 fuel filter and would recommending checking with other owners if they do. There is a big primary fuel filter but many also have a secondary fuel filter above or around starter. Fill primary filter and then turn key on for 10 sec. then off for 10 sec. 3 or 4 times. On Newmars this secondary filter is often not changed which cause power loss on grades for lack of fuel.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #13

Deandec, Thanks a lot, I did get back underneath the coach today. Looks as if all the steering joints do not have any grease fittings. I guess they are either sealed or rubber bushing type. Did not see any white casing covering.

I did find some more though that I missed the first time. One is the brake slack adjuster fitting, and then there is one on the brake adjuster mounting bracket. Its a round tubular shape that mounts to the back of the wheel. I did not grease this one because I was not sure if I should or not? There is one of these at all four corners.

I am still not sure what dons2346 is talking about with the two that I am not suppose to grease. I would like to find them so I know in the future.

There is two fuel filters located together in the last storage bay, and replaced both of those. Then there was a antifreeze filter located right next to the oil filter, which I did not replace. Does anyone know how often this should be done?
Old 10-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Deandec, Thanks a lot, I did get back underneath the coach today. Looks as if all the steering joints do not have any grease fittings. I guess they are either sealed or rubber bushing type. Did not see any white casing covering.

I did find some more though that I missed the first time. One is the brake slack adjuster fitting, and then there is one on the brake adjuster mounting bracket. Its a round tubular shape that mounts to the back of the wheel. I did not grease this one because I was not sure if I should or not? There is one of these at all four corners.

I am still not sure what dons2346 is talking about with the two that I am not suppose to grease. I would like to find them so I know in the future.

There is two fuel filters located together in the last storage bay, and replaced both of those. Then there was a antifreeze filter located right next to the oil filter, which I did not replace. Does anyone know how often this should be done?

Your coolant filter depends on the type coolant installed. Do you have any maintenance records that might indicate if the coolant has been changed in the past? If you have conventional heavy duty, ethylene glycol, with DCA installed, then you need to be checking the coolant with a test strip a couple of times annually. Depending on the results of the test, a coolant filter with DCA should be installed. A Cummins dealer or other heavy truck shop will have the the strips. Don't buy more than two or three because they have a short shelf life. Check the date on the package.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote