Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #1

04 Inspire 40' with ISC350 - towing capacity?

Hi Gang,

Have a friend considering a coach for several months of travel per year. He's planning on a 1/2 ton Chevy/GMC 4X4 Crew Cab, not a light toad.

Was wondering if those with the ISC350 in 04 era Inspires, have any opinion on if this might be 'too much' weight for this unit? Braking as important as pulling. (Exhaust Braking on the ISC vs Compression Braking on the Jake with the ISL or CAT C9.).

Here is a cut and paste of the add:

"2004 Country Coach Inspire 40 ft. 3 slides. 350 Cummins with 6 spd Allison trans. Double door fridge (rebuilt in 2017). New front ac in 2017. New tires less than 1500 miles. Inverted rebuilt in March 2018. New porcelain toilet in 2016. All three slides and roof resealed at country coach factory summer of 2015. Less than 39000 miles. Beautiful coach."

Coach has not been seen in person, so normal due diligence would be required.

On Inspire's. We were sitting in the OMC waiting room a few years back, gabbing with other customers. One gent explained that when they were moving to CC from SOB that was higher up in the model lineup - that the seemed to be spending quite a bit of time fixing some of the higher level components. So, his words not mine, when buying this coach - they were attracted by it's KISS approach to components. (He like the AquaHot in his old coach when it worked, and cursed it when it did not, and when it drained his checking account for repairs! As one of the examples he gave. (And note, we have HydroHot, and sure we've made some repairs on it, but would not be without it, as we do like it.)

I won't get this gents exact wording, but his sentiments on the Inspire were:

Good layout for them, with the three slides. 10 gallon water heater supported them well, and same on the furnace. Had plenty of capacity for their traveling needs, as far as weight and gear the carried. Suzuki SUV was hardly felt behind them when they were towing. And, he said they were getting a solid 8 MPG in their travels. He did miss his SOB's Jake Compression, and felt it's suspension was more sophisticated, had a Tag. (It was a Monaco Dynasty, don't recall the year.). He said both he and his wife always felt secure with the Inspire.

So, that along with other posts from other member's here with Inspires - reinforced my input that the Inspire is a good bang for the buck. Not as sophisticated as higher models, but compared to other brands, on average a better build quality, good wood working and other materials.

OK - So, my two main questions of this gang with Inspire experience:

1) Is that a pretty fair assessment? Inspires are above average in build quality and design, then other brands models at that point in the model line up?

2) What about the ability to tow, and stop, a 1/2 Ton 4X4 Crew Cab?

Any other general cautions, or input that I should pass on, so when he does go look the coach? (If I can, I'll go with him, as I like kicking tires and helping others spend their money!).

TIA, and best to all,
Smitty

(And note: I've the spec's from Damon's site, 350HP and 1050 lbs, so know that. And can research more on the ISC from 04. It's the seat of the pants pulling and stopping that I can't get...)
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think you should have a pretty good handle on the answers already!

Our '02 DSDP came with that engine and we towed an '05 Ody on a dolly and four down with no trouble. The Ody's dry weight was about 4,400's and we almost always had it loaded with our show inventory so figure 5,000#'s.
However, being the performance freak that I am I added a Banks kit in 2004. That brought it to 435 hp and 1200 ft lbs which was noticeable. Exhaust braking was OK, but nothing like a engine brake.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 PM   #3

I have a 2006 36' Inspire with the C9 Cat @ 400HP; I tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited running on 35" Off Road tires with no problems. I don't have a Brake Assist Controller in the Jeep and my coach stops just fine but I would really consider it for a 1/2 ton truck since it will weigh 1000-1500 lbs more than the Jeep. Your assessment of the Inspire is correct, a solid, quality built coach with adequate amenities and without a lot of the high end frills that break down frequently and cost a lot to repair/replace. I've always thought of mine while traveling as bringing the Hotel with you to the great Outdoors and I always have the pleasure of knowing who slept in my bed the night before.
DOGHOUSE26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #4

I believe your assessment is right on target and the exact reasons we purchased our Inspire. I've been a little disappointed in some of the carpentry tactics as I've done upgrades, but the coach is solid as we enter our 6th year in it.

At least for our 05 model (04 manufactured Cat), the C9 still has an exhaust brake not a jake engine brake. The 400 HP C9 is quite adequate towing our Wrangler, we do know it's back there though. Power is not a problem even on mountain passes in Colorado.

We've been debating about going to a 1/2 ton 4X4 PU as a towed also. I think the C9 would handle it fine.

Tags
tow, towing