Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #1

'05-07 Inspire 36?

We just started looking for a FT rig. What we saw over the weekend convinced us that Country Coach is what we want.

We want to stick mostly to boondocking/state parks so we're thinking something shorter than a 40 would be an advantage. But we want good interior room, and that led us to the 36' 4-slide Inspire.

Is this a good choice?

Are there any years to seek out or avoid in particular?

In reviewing specs on Damon Rapozo's site it looks like the towing capacity is 10k. Am I reading that right? I might want to tow something as large as a fullsize pickup for a toad.

I realize that a 4-slide is asking for more slide maintenance troubles, but you have to compromise somewhere. I'm also aware of the PTO and radiator issues, but innocent as to any others.

Thanks for any tips or comments!
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #2

We just picked up an 05 Inspire a few months ago and love ours. We also intend to full time just not sure when it will start. Ours is the 40 foot model with 3 slides and we have plenty of room. I've not had the opportunity to look at a 36 Quad but would guess it would be similar with a little less basement storage. I'm surprised no one has responded to your inquiry yet. I know there are several out there. Good luck and have fun.

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #3

As far as Inspires go, there are many happy owners out there--should be a good coach. Have you looked at the 37-foot Allure? It has the same size advantage, and could give you a larger number of coaches to consider.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:07 AM   #4

When I was looking I wanted a 36' but the wife said (what's 4 feet) so we got a 40 footer.
I almost got a 36' but it got sold before I could move on it.
I have had everything done. (wet PTO, Radiator, RR frig, and more) they are a great coach and fun to drive. 05 and under has a split windshield and 06 up full windshield.
If you say where you live (east coast-west coast) someone may run across something and post it for you.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #5

Thanks all for the replies!

I see I should have worded my post more carefully. When I said "we started looking" what I meant was we started research-looking not buying-looking. We'll be looking to buy about a year from now.

Until then, anything we can learn about this model would be great. I would like to get confirmation on the tow capacity, if anyone knows for sure.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #6

tow capacity
This is on my coach and the 36' is on the same chassis as the 40'
GVWR 33200lbs
GCWR 43200lbs
Tow Capacity 10000lbs
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #7

If a coach with a split windshield was in better condition, and met our interior needs, I would not run from it. However, I would enjoy a non split windshield if one is available in a coach that I liked. (So, suggest you give the nod to the newer model as noted.) Yes, this will be a bit more expensive to replace if ever needed, but that view is worth the extra costs.

On size, lots depends upon what part of the country you feel you'll be visiting the most. I understand, but have not yet confirmed, that in general the East side of the country will have more size restricted campgrounds then the West side.

We also started looking in the smaller range, but wanted a tag, and that moved us up to usually the 38' as the smaller coaches (a few years and mfg's had smaller tags, but slim pickens on the used market, and really reduced storage in the basement). As I was looking, time in time again I was told by those that had 40' + size coaches, that with a little more planning, they very seldom had a problem getting into a campground or boondock area with their 40' + size coaches. So I moved up to a 40' size.

I've been in State Parks, National Parks, Boondocking sites, and will confirm that while sometimes the choices are less at the 40' range, I've never not been able to find a place that we liked. We just finished a four month 10K mile trip to Alaska, and we Boondocked about 20-25% of the time. The Yukon, British Columbia and Alaska Recreation parks very seldom did not have a site large enough for our coach.

I've actually had more problems with width vs length. Many of the older parks were developed in the days of the travel trailer. We have two drivers side slides, and had times where we kept the slides in.

And, I've noted that as parks are being refreshed, most of the time they are expanding length, width and access roads to accommodate the larger rigs. And most are also trying to provide more 50amp options, when power is available at all. So, I personally suspect that more parks and campgrounds will open for larger rigs in the years ahead.

That is not saying that you just will not fit in some parks. But that can also be true with a 36-38' rig too.

For Full Timing, ask yourself if you would rather have a smaller rig 100% of the time, or, a larger rig that might restrict your park/camping choices maybe 5-15% of the time?

I like simple, and follow the KISS approach when possible. I did not want a moving kitchen, both to avoid moving plumbing but more so for not losing as much cabinet space above (look at the top cabinets in slides vs non slide, and depending upon manufacturer, you could see as much as 8" of lost cabinet space). We added upper shelves into our over the kitchen counter cabinets, for items that we don't use frequently, and one large one is wine bottle deep, to add wine storage capacity while traveling. We still have larger kitchen over the counter cabinets, beneath these added shelves, then most kitchens in slides cabinets.

If we had found a coach that had two slides in the bedroom that we both liked, I would have not walked away from it. But again, I feel there would have been times that I would have only been able to open the slides on the driver side anyways.

We liked the Inspires, and felt they were a good bang for the buck. But, for full timing we wanted Hyrdro/Aqua Hot and heated floors. I can't recall ever seeing the Inspire with these two options, in the years we were looking at. We felt the Intrigue was the 'sweet spot' within the Country Coach lineup. Up the food chain high enough that a larger CAT BIG BLOCK was an option. And, not ad stuffed full of other goodies and electronics that countered my KISS desire. We ended up with the Allure High Cascade model, I did not get the BIG BLOCK (and I miss it less then 5% of the time), but the DW did get the largest galley we'd seen in any coach, including coaches as long as 45'. The galley is what sold the coach...

Good luck on your research, and I suggest you also go over and read the CC Yahoo User Group too. Both of these sites CC owners will be happy to share info with you.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have an 05 36' Inspire quad slide and love it. I don't disagree with what folks say about the longer coaches, but for us, who will never full time, the 36 is perfect. As for the different years, I'm not positive about this, but the 04's I looked at did not have the c-9 400 hp cat. Ours does, so that maybe something that pushes you to the later years.
I noticed some folks mentioned the divided window. I don't even notice the divide in the middle. I can say that on our old monaco, I probably put 5 or 6 windows in that thing and they were expensive enough just doing a half. No idea what the price increase would be for the full width model.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote