Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
05 Inspire cooling problem

My CC Inspire has a C9-400 Cat that I am experiencing an intermittant cooling problem. The C9 has a side mount fan and hub that was installed by Country Coach, not by Caterpiller. It appears to be hydraulic driven. Caterpiller Customer Service advised that CC used 2 or 3 different arrangements and/or manufacturers for the fan drive.
My problem is that after I drive 30-50 miles, the engine starts to overheat. Through trial and error, I found that if I shut off the engine for a few minutes, it will run normal temps the rest of the day. It may go 1-3 days before happening again. Cat dealers went through several checks, replaced the thermostats with the new style, etc. Still same problem. I feel that it is the thermostatic control/sensor that operates the fan. I also need to know if it operates off the engine computer or the coach computer. Everywhere I have stopped, no one is familar with the cooling system and, since I do not know the manufacturer, I cannot locate any literature/parts listing on it.
Has anyone else experienced such a problem or have any information concerning the manufacturer of the fan hub and controls?
Jerry

Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
While I cannot answer your specific question, I would suggest you give CC a call and talk to Greg. He has been very helpful to me with a number of technical questions related to our newly-acquired Allure. I suspect he can tell you what set up you have and give you some trouble shooting ideas.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #3

Thanks!! Do you have Greg's phone number or email?
Jerry
Old 05-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #4

CC questions

x2 about calling Gregg in service. Make sure you have your build # which is probably on the door of the medicine cabinet. Look up CC on the internet for the telephone number and in the past I use email to contact Grgg.

Very helpful and patient with problems.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Thanks!! Do you have Greg's phone number or email?
Jerry
Contact Greg at 541-234-2167. If you go to the Country Coach Corp website, you can also send an email. If Greg is busy when you call, you can leave a message and he usually calls back pretty quickly.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

Have you checked the sensors to the fan control unit. On my 2000 Magna, there are three sensors. One for the engine coolant, one for the turbocharger air, and a switch on the dash air conditioning compressor.

Assuming your dash a/c works, try turning the dash a/c on max cooling and see if the engine cools down. The switch on the a/c compressor closes when the head pressure on the compressor builds and will cause the fan control unit to turn the fan on high speed.

I had the other two sensors go bad and the fan would only run on low speed. You can test these two sensors using a volt/ohm meter and see what the resistance readings are. On mine, both sensors showed an open circuit. The cost for both sensors was $84. You would have to add labor unless you replaced them yourself.

You can force the fan to high speed by disconnecting the power to the fan control unit. Or, you can do what several of us have done and pull the fuse for the fan control unit. This will cause the fan to run on high and will probably result in the engine running cooler than normal. Although this isn't bad, it will cause your fuel consumption to increase.

If it isn't the sensors then I would suspect a bad fan control unit. If that is the case, you will need the serial number off of the one you have because they are programmed specific to the engine/coach set up.

You can go to the Yahoo Country Coach Owners forum for lots of info on the hydraulic cooling fan.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #7

Greg at Country Coach has suggested that I take it to a Cat dealer and have the computer fan programming changed if it is set on "Varible Speed" and if so, change it to "On/Off 12v PWM". I am going to try this and see if it solves the problem. If not, then it may be the sensors.
Jerry
Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #8

I'm guessing that on an 05 you will find a small gizmo the size of a pack of cards attached w/wires to a small hydraulic valve w/1/4" hydr.lines to/from it. That is a Sauer-Danfoss fan controller. I think CC was using 5 wire units. One is 12V, one ground, and two are PWM (pulse width modulated) to drive fan variably, and the last is the override (could be 2 overrides & only 1 PMW now that I think about it).

As Phays suggested, the overrides work by calling for fan Hi (e.g. turn On your dash A/C). And also per his suggestion, unplugging the connector should default the fan to high. The 1/4" hydr.lines vary flow to a valve in the fan motor head to modulate fan speed. To find this unit, start at the fan & follow the 1/4" lines.

A new fan controller is ~$500-700 depending on where you buy it, shipping choices, etc. You need the numbers off your controller so they can program the new one. Berendsen Fluid Power, google, can order the controller. If ordered thru your service center you will likely pay their parts markup, and they will order it thru Berendsen or another S-D supplier, S-D does not sell direct to the public.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #9

EngineerMike....Now thats the kind of information that I need!! If the reprogramming does not solve the problem, this will be my next step.
THANKS!
Jerry
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #10

Jerry,

You are not too far from National Indoor RV center in Lewisville. They were the outfit recommended to us by Country Coach for any work on our coaches. I'm sure they could tackle your issue.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #11

Peralko....thats good information that I need! Except, I am presently in Wisconsin on a six month trip. I will be leaving here in a week headed west and will find a Cat dealer to try the reprogramming. I hope that resolves my problem. Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
I'm guessing that on an 05 you will find a small gizmo the size of a pack of cards attached w/wires to a small hydraulic valve w/1/4" hydr.lines to/from it. That is a Sauer-Danfoss fan controller. I think CC was using 5 wire units. One is 12V, one ground, and two are PWM (pulse width modulated) to drive fan variably, and the last is the override (could be 2 overrides & only 1 PMW now that I think about it).

As Phays suggested, the overrides work by calling for fan Hi (e.g. turn On your dash A/C). And also per his suggestion, unplugging the connector should default the fan to high. The 1/4" hydr.lines vary flow to a valve in the fan motor head to modulate fan speed. To find this unit, start at the fan & follow the 1/4" lines.

A new fan controller is ~$500-700 depending on where you buy it, shipping choices, etc. You need the numbers off your controller so they can program the new one. Berendsen Fluid Power, google, can order the controller. If ordered thru your service center you will likely pay their parts markup, and they will order it thru Berendsen or another S-D supplier, S-D does not sell direct to the public.
wow ; talk about good info!! Would you be my neighbor?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Jerry, EngineerMike is correct. I just went through this and my Inspire did not have separate sensors but got its signal from the ECM (so I didn't get off with the $85 price). You actually don't need to crawl under and pull the plug to test. Just open your first bay (under driver seat position) on the outside. Open the fuse box and look for a fuse labeled "fan control". Pull the fuse when the engine is running and it should go to high speed. I bought the complete fan control unit which included the part with flow valve. The front part is the sealed electronic control board and it unscrews from the back "flow valve". If you determine that it is an electronic failure (mine was) you don't need both parts and the installation is much easier as you just bolt on the new electronic sealed unit and plug it in and do not have to cut into the fan housing to get access to the back side. I was able to tell by wiggling & pulling the wires where they enter the sealed unit and it would go on and off but not stay on. Unfortunately, I had paid for the complete unit.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #14

I finally found a Cat dealer in Souix Falls, SD that changed the computer fan control parameter from varible speed to 12v on/off and so far.........no more overheating after six days of travel!!!!
Jerry

Tags
cooling