Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2015, 06:05 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
MrD, if they(Cummins) do not pony up for the repair, then if it was my money, I would buy a crate motor! The reason being, this motor has failed twice, and is likely to do the same in the future! I did the very same thing in a semi, a rebuilt N-14 crate motor was 17,000, and came with the turbo, ecm, everything but alt., starter! And had a two year warranty! The labor, including rebuilt 4 row radiator and new clutch, Total 26,500! Now I know it is a much harder job replacing a motor in a MH, so the labor will be more. But that can be reduced, by a motor swap! And you are rid of the defective motor! Something to think about, and suggest to Cummins? I hope it all works out for you! The best of luck! Rail!
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #58

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Waiting to see what Cummins says but a crate or even reman is not out of the question at this point. There has to be some reason for the repeat failures even after rebuilds.
BTW: here's a link to the sales page, for some reason it's still shown as for sale, maybe they want it back?
http://www.premierrvservices.com/2009-magna-45/
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Waiting to see what Cummins says but a crate or even reman is not out of the question at this point. There has to be some reason for the repeat failures even after rebuilds.
BTW: here's a link to the sales page, for some reason it's still shown as for sale, maybe they want it back?
2009 Magna 45′ | Premier RV

Wow! Beautiful Coach!! Our's just turned 21,000 miles. After reading about this series engine, I'm back to thinking maybe we should buy an extended warranty.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #60

Wow! Beautiful Coach!! Our's just turned 21,000 miles. After reading about this series engine, I'm back to thinking maybe we should buy an extended warranty.[/QUOTE]
After reading about this problem and all with the same series engine starting around 22,000mi "Run, Forrest, Run!" for the warranty Have you pulled any oil samples to see what it looks like over the 21k miles. That would give you an idea of the shape of the motor over time.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #61

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If only right? I know how much you were lovin this coach before all this.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #62

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oil samples are mostly done to show trends over time. If your latest sample shows increased coolant then you may be developing a head gasket problem, for instance. But that sample by itself is not really useful since you would not have a previous sample to compare to.

They are great tools for showing trends but an oil sample will not usually forecast things like dropped valves. They will show bearing and ring wear and coolant leaks but you really need several samples over a period of time/miles to see the trends.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #63

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Oil samples are mostly done to show trends over time. If your latest sample shows increased coolant then you may be developing a head gasket problem, for instance. But that sample by itself is not really useful since you would not have a previous sample to compare to.

They are great tools for showing trends but an oil sample will not usually forecast things like dropped valves. They will show bearing and ring wear and coolant leaks but you really need several samples over a period of time/miles to see the trends.
Absolutely right and that's what I was doing on our Dutch Star. I wanted a sample before I bought it and I didn't even see the report till yesterday. At the time we picked it up Premier simply said everything was OK other than moisture due to storage. It wasn't till they sent me the full report that I found out about the high iron content. Had I seen the report first I would have held off on buying it till we had a more thorough report from Cummins before we spent $350,000+!. So, that kind of makes me wonder if there is some culpability there for Premier not showing me the report or at least telling me there was high iron.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #64

Given that and the short period between pickup and failure there may be something...

Most places allow a grace period from delivery to buy warranty like 30 days or so.

Not sure how this works if it fails inside that grace period.

This sure does stink but there may be some options somehow...

Given they did not provide a report indicating a possible need for adding the service plan and any possible grace period there may be some option.

One way outside the box would be to work a deal where you buy warranty effective date when fixed and and price of warranty deducted from repair charges.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Couple of threads running on this. Don't recall seeing any picitures. There may be some issues going on - but I'm thinking she's yours Mr. D one way or the other. Show us the pearly whites and the shiny paint. It's gonna be OK one way or the other. So let's see her.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #66

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Couple of threads running on this. Don't recall seeing any picitures. There may be some issues going on - but I'm thinking she's yours Mr. D one way or the other. Show us the pearly whites and the shiny paint. It's gonna be OK one way or the other. So let's see her.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Was hoping to see your smiling face beside her and some personal pics prior to the temporary side line. I must have taken 50 at PDI... even of my friend standing on the roof.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #68

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK, my last post on this:
Bill came to over $32,000 with Cummins picking up part of it so we paid $22,300+. Doesn't seem to run any better (or worse) than it did right before the valves broke off.
The only thing Cummins will say is:
Quote:
The new cylinder head containing the new valves provides improved heat capabilities that allow for much better reliability in an application, such as yours.
So, does that mean it'll last 30,000 miles rather than 22,000 before it blows up again?
BTW: I'm not giving up on finding more satisfaction on this. There are a number of reports of this on the Internet and Cummins knew about the problem for years.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:40 AM   #69

Well glad you got it back and hopefully have many trouble free years with your beautiful coach. Did you say it was only the 650hp versions that had issues?

I do think their info was a bit too cookie cutter, especially for 32K.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:12 AM   #70

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phwang20 View Post
Well glad you got it back and hopefully have many trouble free years with your beautiful coach. Did you say it was only the 650hp versions that had issues?

I do think their info was a bit too cookie cutter, especially for 32K.
Seemingly it's just the 650's that break the valves in #6, there are lots of reports of DPF's giving problems though and one 500 Hp unit that had a wrist pin clip come off.
Just do a search on ISX problems and be prepared for a lot of reading although most are in the Class 8 trucks. The 650 ISX was used in MH's only although some truckers had theirs reset I think.
Cummins NW in Portland know of 4 that have done this 2 Class 8 trucks and two MH's (ours being one).