Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
'09 Magna, dropped valve or bad injector

Well, we bought it on Feb 19th, drove to Phoenix and back. About 40 miles south of home it started running rough and I got a turbo actuator bad message and orange stop engine light. Limped into a truck stop and parked it. Ferried the cats, wife and a bunch of stuff on home, 6 trips and 320 miles. Coach Net couldn't get a tow on the weekend so had to wait till Monday. Took the tow truck operator over three hours to get hooked up and two men and a second truck. Tow driver said the weight of the Magna front axle was the most he had ever towed, including Greyhound buses. On some dips it was taking his front wheels off the ground and the stinger couldn't lift it so the need for the second truck to help.
Cummins says it's a bad injector or dropped valve on #6. If it's a dropped valve it's the second time on that cyl as it was fixed once at about 20,000 miles under warranty. 44,000 miles and two dropped valves on the same cyl spells something wrong in the head/cyl. Waiting for a call back on how to proceed.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #2

That sucks. Did you get warranty from Premier RV. Hope the news will be good, that's not the way to start out with a new coach.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
WOW, I am sorry to read of your troubles MRd! That sucks! Hopefully not to bad of a repair, and they get you up and going quick!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear this. I hope you had a change of heart and purchased an extended warranty.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Didn't buy a service policy as they never got the cost info to me till we got home from AZ AFTER the breakdown.
Just waiting to see what they want to do. If it's another broken valve or bad/leaking valve it should never have happened in the first place, let alone twice on the same cyl. The original warranty repair was done in late 2010 at 19,032 miles (about $14,000 all covered under warranty). The same thing wrong (possibly) on the same cyl. tells me there's something else wrong and causing the valves to break. This is bad news on an engine designed for 750,000 miles before needing a top end overhaul.
But when running right it really hauls the freight, but the 6 speed Allison should be a ZF 12 speed to do it right!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Really sorry to hear this, Mr_D! I thought you had the fluid analysis done too- did anything look suspect with that? I sure hope it all goes well for you! I know you keep us posted.
All the best!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Really sorry to hear this, Mr_D! I thought you had the fluid analysis done too- did anything look suspect with that? I sure hope it all goes well for you! I know you keep us posted.
All the best!
Yes, they did an oil test, nothing showing but a little excess moisture from being in storage for several months. Didn't use any oil or coolant in the 3500+ miles we drove, no overheating or obvious sounds either. Did seem to hesitate some when spooling up but nothing out of the ordinary that I could tell. Did have a fuel leak till I got a couple wrenches out and tightened a fitting on the filter shut off valve. Ran strong, well enough to pick up a speeding ticket in CA. Dumb me, let my speed build a little too much on a downhill. Been over 20 years since I got any kind of ticket
Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #8

You do know that over reving an engine, can cause valve float, leading to pistons hitting them.

Hope it`s injectors

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yes, they did an oil test, nothing showing but a little excess moisture from being in storage for several months. Didn't use any oil or coolant in the 3500+ miles we drove, no overheating or obvious sounds either. Did seem to hesitate some when spooling up but nothing out of the ordinary that I could tell. Did have a fuel leak till I got a couple wrenches out and tightened a fitting on the filter shut off valve. Ran strong, well enough to pick up a speeding ticket in CA. Dumb me, let my speed build a little too much on a downhill. Been over 20 years since I got any kind of ticket
What a bummer about your speeding ticket!
I had a similar bad luck with my Essex - I had all the inspection done by a reputable RV Repair shop including the oil analysis. Only 2000 miles later found out that I had a cracked turbo casing ($5 +K). Did you have an ECM Report before you bought it?
I found out later had I had an ECM Report I would have seen the cracked turbo casing. The Cummins Tech told me that it showed some signs of that over 200 hours prior, which would have been way before I bought it. There are too many lessons to learn!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You do know that over reving an engine, can cause valve float, leading to pistons hitting them.

Hope it`s injectors

Good luck.
Can't be done in an ISX with Allison. The electronics shut the fuel off to prevent that from happening.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
What a bummer about your speeding ticket!
I had a similar bad luck with my Essex - I had all the inspection done by a reputable RV Repair shop including the oil analysis. Only 2000 miles later found out that I had a cracked turbo casing ($5 +K). Did you have an ECM Report before you bought it?
I found out later had I had an ECM Report I would have seen the cracked turbo casing. The Cummins Tech told me that it showed some signs of that over 200 hours prior, which would have been way before I bought it. There are too many lessons to learn!
No, should have though. The VMS didn't show anything since about the 19,000 mile mark either (42,000+ when we bought it). They did replace all the filters and oil on both the engine and gen set too. Even did a grease job. A bad valve or bad injector might have shown up or maybe not, just depends on what actually happened and when.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
MrD, electronic injectors are funny critters! They may work for many, many years, then all of a sudden just quit working for no reason? Lets hope all it is, is a injector! They are not cheap, but way cheaper than a valve, for sure! I have my fingers crossed for you! Good luck! Rail!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #13

Fingers crossed that it is not the valve!

I helped a gent with the purchase of an RV that had a ISL in it. The buyer had them pull an oil sample, and send it to the place he'd worked with before. Cleary bill of health from the analysis.

I jointed him at the RV Dealer, and we walked thru and under and on top of the coach. I asked to see all records available, and we sat down a reviewed them together. The Dealer had recorded records that showed a full Oil/Lube/Filter. This had taken place upon trade in, before putting it out for sale. The recorded miles were less then 146 miles earlier then what was on the odometer that day. So IMO, his oil sample was of little value.

I share this, because I hope it might help others that are in the process of coach inspection, consider how many miles are on the oil that is being sampled.

A salesman that had helped me years earlier, commented that one of the reasons dealers invest in the full service, is to protect them from the findings of oil samples.

Mr D. - All my best to you, and hope it all works out. It is a great coach, and one that will provide miles and miles of smiles, even if you have this bump in the roadway now!

Smitty
Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #14
KIX

Fingers crossed for you. Hope it's an injector and not a valve

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote