Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcantrell52 View Post
Mr._D
Does your 09 Magna have the 365 tires on the steering axle?

Reese
Yes and also the tag, the drive tires are 315's and all are the original tires so I'll need to budget for that but first the gov't gets their income tax. Right now we're wising we lived in a no sales/use tax state as the use tax is about $23,000 on the Magna. And no, we won't/can't use a Montana LLC!

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 11:48 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did the test drive today, what a magnificent unit! Hard to keep it at the speed limit and DW was impressed with how quiet and comfortable it was. I was surprised at how strong the 3 "speed" engine brake was although it did seem to be a little slow to come on.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:58 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Unless you plan to haul or store a lot of frozen food, I think you will find the freezer in the 22 cu ft. Fridge more than adequate. We spent 4 months in our Allure last year with the new-to-us side by side fridge and never had any issue with space in the freezer. However, we did tax the fridge side at times. We never liked side by side fridges and would certainly replace it with one of the bottom freezer, two door fridges if/when the Amana dies.

We had the same feelings as you describe when we got our Allure. We had a perfectly good, well-maintained, highly upgraded 36' Winnebago Journey when we decided to spend some of the money we had saved to treat ourselves to something a bit nicer. We decided life is too short and uncertain.

Let us know how your shake down goes.
Found a new overstock sale Dometic storage bay freezer and bought it. I really don't think we need it either but the BOSS says we do!!
And yes, if the Jenn-Aire (made by Amana) side by side dies I'll go with a Samsung 197 type unit. Helped friend put one in his '08 Camelot just before he traded it in on an '07 Essex.
I just got done doing a complete coolant change to the OAT stuff, oil change, grease job etc on the DSDP too and the Magna needs the coolant changed or extender added depending on what's in it. Need the maintenance records I guess.
Supposed to do the delivery on the 19th. Hopefully the money from the annuity will be here by then
Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #18
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Did the test drive today, what a magnificent unit! Hard to keep it at the speed limit and DW was impressed with how quiet and comfortable it was. I was surprised at how strong the 3 "speed" engine brake was although it did seem to be a little slow to come on.
Great to hear that you and DW liked the ride! I test drove my 08 Affinity shortly before I wrote them a check a couple of days ago. I, too found the CC to be very impressive! Congratulations on your new toy and may you and yours have many years of enjoyment and safe travels!
All the best,
Old 03-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, not so impressed now since the engine dropped a valve and the repair estimate is just under $29,000! No warranty either.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #20

I did install some 3 inch roadkings on the front and tag. The rear axle set didn't fit. My initial impressions from a 5 mile drive is their a little harsher. I will know better when I get on the road.
Rod
Old 03-23-2015, 10:59 PM   #21

I disagree that Koni shocks are a joke. I have the original factory Koni's on the front of my rig and they work exactly as they are supposed to with 122,000 miles. I did replace the rears two years ago at about 110,000 miles. I don't consider the ride on our coach too soft.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After 3000 miles on the Magna both the DW and I agree the Koni shocks need help. As soon as it gets out of the shop and I have more time I'll check to see what they're set at. All the rears are FSD's so no adjustment there, nor any needed.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Was just reading the specs on the front axle. Seems it came with Bilsteins and the previous owner must have replaced them with the Koni adjustables. Will have to check them when we get it back and see what they're set at.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mr. D I put the Koni SP3 adjustable on the front of my Allure set one notch back from most firm and they are working fine. They may still not be stout enough for your heavier front axle. I believe I read where Koni has recently released an even better/newer adjustable shock so it may be worth your while to give them a call. I spoke to Justin I believe and he was very helpful.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Was just reading the specs on the front axle. Seems it came with Bilsteins and the previous owner must have replaced them with the Koni adjustables. Will have to check them when we get it back and see what they're set at.
Well, the Reyco-Granning parts list shows Bilsteins but the factory list shows Koni's and it has Koni's. Now I don't know which is right!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #26

Update on the 3 inch
After a 400 mile run the 3 inch are just to harsh. Expansion joints and rough roads surfaces are very pronounced. I will say they do hold the front end from bouncing. I called road king and am waiting for a call back. I am going to put the koni shocks back on. Not sure of the setting. I will update if road king calls back.
Rod
Old 05-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Update on the 3 inch
After a 400 mile run the 3 inch are just to harsh. Expansion joints and rough roads surfaces are very pronounced. I will say they do hold the front end from bouncing. I called road king and am waiting for a call back. I am going to put the koni shocks back on. Not sure of the setting. I will update if road king calls back.
Rod
Rod, have you weighed the coach and adjusted the tire pressure accordingly? The correct pressure for the weight will make a bid difference
Old 05-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Rod, have you weighed the coach and adjusted the tire pressure accordingly? The correct pressure for the weight will make a bid difference

Yes to setting the PSI per the tire manufacturers PSI charts and actual weights.

And Road King would probably work with you on re-valving the RK's. I like a more controlled ride, and am willing to take the hit on our older RK's possibly being a bit too firm. (I'm going to wait until we get our next set of tires on, about 4 years to go on this set. I picked the Michelin XZE* all around. With the "*" meaning a bit more meat in the sidewalls. (I wanted the extra meat for in case I kissed some curbs during turns!) I've talked to a Foretravel owner with these on, that had changed out the front tires after about one year (got a credit from his tire place) and went with another Michelin without as stiff of sidewalls. Said it reduced the harsh ride of substantially.)

I like the RK's. That being said, the Koni Adjustable SP3's were not out when I was shopping. I feel they very viable alternative and should make a large improvement over the OEM Adjustable SP1's that came stock on my era CC. (The same exact shock, down to the same exact part number, that I had put on the front of my F53 on a small 18K chassis.) I had no experience with the SP2, but hear they were a move up the ladder from the SP1's.

Finally, I've been watching Alpine gang using the Koni "99" shocks. I want to see if Koni brings these to the US RV Market for additional coaches. The "99" seems to be more robust then the Adjustable SP3's.

Best to all,
Smitty

Tags
shocks