Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #29
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pulled the shocks over the weekend and found the Koni's were set at full soft. Reset them to full hard which may be too much. Also found that the front tires were down about 10 psi from what is required. No alarm or warning from the SmarTire system either. Need to delve into that as it's still set the way we got the rig.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #30
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK, I finally found the "new" CC's tire pressure statement. It's in our Magna's owners manual on page 1.14 and 1.15.

Country Coach Tire Inflation Policy
Tire Industry Changes
The tire industry, as a whole, has changed its traditional stance on adjusting cold tire inflation pressure for RV tires installed on recreational vehicles and busses. Previously, tire manufacturers supported a policy where tire inflation could be adjusted according to the actual loaded weight of the vehicle. Now, the major tire manufacturers recommend that medium duty truck tires be maintained at the pressure that corresponds to the Gross Axle Weight Rating for the axle to which they are mounted. To make this recommendation uniform across the industry, tire manufacturers strongly urge the consumer to keep all tires inflated to the pressures recorded on the Federal Tire Label.

Tire Inflation
Country Coach recommends that the cold tire inflation pressures should at all times be maintained at the inflation pressure(s) recorded on the Federal Tire Label. There are no acceptable circumstances where tire inflation pressure(s) should be reduced below that pressure recorded on the Federal Tire Label.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #31
Country Coach Owners Club
Toyo seems to agree with Mr D and CC

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:35 AM   #32
Interesting shift on the thoughts about tire PSI. Many variables, and many opinions.

I'll keep an open mind about this, and reflect upon it a bit more, before shifting my current practice on tire PSI.

I currently do a four corner weight, while ready to travel. I take the highest weight per axle, and then look at the tire manufacturers PSI load chart. If the tire weight is within 25% of the ranges top weight. I move up to the next line. (Say the PSI on that line is 100, and the next level is 105, I go to 105 if the actual weight is with the upper 25% of the range.) I then add another 5 PSI to that. (105 + 5 = 110). This is what I run on that axles tire PSI. (Vs my placard reflects 120 PSI) (All of these PSI's, except the placard, are made up, just for this posting.) I feel that being within the bottom 75% of the tire range, and adding the safety margin of 5 PSI, provides me with an adequate cushion of safety. While lowering the PSI enhances the ride comfort, and I feel also lowers the potential damage of impact from a pot hole on a higher inflated PSI due to a bit more sidewall flex.

The placard is a worse case CYA PSI, IMO. And, I feel is dangerous, if an uninformed RV inflates to this value, regardless of the actual weight that they're carrying. Too many coaches were built over the years with axles that were close to, or actually over, axle weight capacity. As many items that are regulated in this country, letting people drive cars and trucks that have overweighted conditions. And or, under inflated tires PSI, puts all drivers at risk. A blowout, can cause loss of control, and that can cause an accident not only for the person driving an improperly maintain PSI level - but also for other drivers too.

I do agree with a line in the Toyo write up (many of them actually), that having tires set to the placard level, could provide a safety margin for those that do not properly maintain their tires PSI's - for a period of time...

One item that is different for me then stated in the Toyo write up, is the stated loss of PSI per month for a tire. Maybe it is unique to my tire, the Michelin XZE* (With the * meaning stiffer/thicker sidewalls.), but I can go up to 6 months without losing any noticeable PSI. Of course, other tires may have a higher loss of PSI over a shorter period of time.

>When in doubt, go to the placard PSI setting values.
>Do check and inspect your PSI, and tire condition, regularly.
>Do observe tire life usage, and plan on replacement based upon age.

As I said, I'll keep an open mind on this, and research more. But for now, I'll go with the load rating PSI, with the 5 PSI safety margin - and feel very safe doing so.

All, IMO. And it's important that everyone do what they feel comfortable with. Especially researching and making your own decision, based upon all the various sources of info available. Not just from a poster, such as myself, on a forum. Take responsibility to learn your rig, including tires, and then make your own decisions!

Best to all, be safe, have fun,

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote