Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

1 Ton Dually as a Towed

Moving from a 5th wheel to a CC, and am contemplating the Dually as a towed. Noticed a mid-90's Prevost in Alaska this past July with a Chevy truck camper as a towed. Any thoughts? Yep the dually is long and we park out in the empty spaces and urban downtown is a no-no. It is also comfy and available.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO should be no problem as long as your hitch capacity is sufficient and your dually can be flat towed.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
Moving from a 5th wheel to a CC, and am contemplating the Dually as a towed. Noticed a mid-90's Prevost in Alaska this past July with a Chevy truck camper as a towed. Any thoughts? Yep the dually is long and we park out in the empty spaces and urban downtown is a no-no. It is also comfy and available.
We don't own a CC nor is this the best picture but my son loves towing his Duramax, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dually with his Signature. I tow my C2500 Duramax, 4x4, Crew Cab, with my Sig when the trip warrants it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150713_071324.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	138025  
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the CC and hitch are rated for it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
If you don't have a use for that big truck anymore........maybe entertain the thought of selling it and buying a Jeep JK or something of your liking so you can go off road and get out and explore.........I love my JK for a TOAD for exploring the back roads...........had a ball out west 2 years ago in it Lot less weight to tow also.......
Old 09-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
It shouldn't be a problem, but I didn't like towing my big truck. I split the difference and went to a mid size 4WD pickup. I still have a truck and can go off road.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the replys. I am having the work done on the truck, as we are doing the motorhome for a year (not full time) to see if we like it better than the 5th wheel. Would like to retain the truck for now, at least until we decide. We are also shopping for a replacement for the older car with a view to set it up as a towable as well. The down side of towing the truck is it would make us nearly 70' long, where a car or SUV would keep it a lot shorter. The down side to the car is we are both tall and the folding to get in and out is no fun. Thanks for the comments. The CC is rated to 10,000lbs, so all the weight issues are OK.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks to all for the replys. I am having the work done on the truck, as we are doing the motorhome for a year (not full time) to see if we like it better than the 5th wheel. Would like to retain the truck for now, at least until we decide. We are also shopping for a replacement for the older car with a view to set it up as a towable as well. The down side of towing the truck is it would make us nearly 70' long, where a car or SUV would keep it a lot shorter. The down side to the car is we are both tall and the folding to get in and out is no fun. Thanks for the comments. The CC is rated to 10,000lbs, so all the weight issues are OK.
I decided to have a fun vehicle for winter in Vegas area , so I bought a Porsche 911.......then a new open trailer for it to ride on ! So far well worth it ( off road is great, but I maybe over that phase ! ). Nothing like top down touring our National Parks !!.... How long you are has never bothered me , I have pulled a close tri axle car trailer for many years with a Monaco Windsor , never a problem.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow