Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

1991 magna purges air every 20 seconds +-

is it normal operation for this coach to "blow off" air every 15 to 30 seconds while driving, We just bought her last year and the Po said it was normal but I have not heard any other coaches doing this. if it is normal what is it for? condensation in the air tank maybe? Rather annoying at times but after awhile I don't even notice it.....

1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #2

What you hear is the air dryer purging. It does this every time it builds up pressure and the regulator cuts the compressor off. Purging every 15-30 seconds is definitely excessive and you must have an air leak somewhere.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
What you hear is the air dryer purging. It does this every time it builds up pressure and the regulator cuts the compressor off. Purging every 15-30 seconds is definitely excessive and you must have an air leak somewhere.
Thanks for the quick reply,
I have had several air leaks on this thing, I have chased them all down and it does not leak now, my air gauge shows full after setting many days, could be leaking after it starts running maybe?
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
Old 09-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

It's possible you have a leak between the compressor and air dryer. There is a check valve in the dryer so that the tank will not drain when the engine is off. Have you serviced the dryer recently? You may need to get the compressor and regulator checked also. Or like the previous owner just live with it.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

Maybe...

Let it run while standing.

Should pump up and be good, if purges still leaking, raise with levelers, shout valves further off, if now good then ride valves need adjusting, other posts here address that.

Ours had overlap where both fill and empty where both open, raising it Closes the fill valve fully, you will hear air, that is the bags emptying, it is trying to level

If okay on standing but bad on driving could be bad shocks allowing too much axle movement. ..

That is a suggestion, those who service air systems can address that

You need to determine the condition that causes the short cycle then it us easier to locate.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
It's possible you have a leak between the compressor and air dryer. There is a check valve in the dryer so that the tank will not drain when the engine is off. Have you serviced the dryer recently? You may need to get the compressor and regulator checked also. Or like the previous owner just live with it.
The dryer has not been serviced, do I have to let all the air out to service it? is there instructions for servicing ? I have done all the work on this thing myself so far, I do not want to stop now,
Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

The release of compressed air that you hear when the primary and secondary air
tanks are full is a normal function of an air brake system. This can be somewhat
alarming if you don’t know what it is. Standing outside your coach with the
engine running when this air release occurs has made many coach owners look at
each other and say, “What was that?”

Copied this from a service manual on the web......still need to service that system , I guess CC parts dept has the desiccant filter for it?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by benford
The dryer has not been serviced, do I have to let all the air out to service it? is there instructions for servicing ? I have done all the work on this thing myself so far, I do not want to stop now,
The air purging every 20/30 seconds is NOT normal. When you are driving..."what" are your air gauges doing? Are they loosing pressure rapidly?

You do understand that this "air system" is your BRAKES! While I admire your "I can do it myself spirit" your are flirting with criminal negligence! If you loose your brakes and get into an accident...you will be going to jail. Do you understand this risk...do you think it is fair to subject other innocence people to this risk?

Sorry, I am not trying to be a jerk. Please take your MH into a certified service centre and be SAFE.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
The air purging every 20/30 seconds is NOT normal. When you are driving..."what" are your air gauges doing? Are they loosing pressure rapidly?

You do understand that this "air system" is your BRAKES! While I admire your "I can do it myself spirit" your are flirting with criminal negligence! If you loose your brakes and get into an accident...you will be going to jail. Do you understand this risk...do you think it is fair to subject other innocence people to this risk?

Sorry, I am not trying to be a jerk. Please take your MH into a certified service centre and be SAFE.
My air gauges are staying right at the normal pressures the system is NOT losing pressure at all, it is just purging condensation sorry for the mistake, should have looked it up before posting, I do know what air BRAKES are, and I am not a criminalhehehe.....
Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #10

You need to identify your specific air dryer. This Bendix unit is very common so I am attaching a link to the service data sheet. http://www.beamalarm.com/foretravel-...stallation.pdf
Yes you do have to bleed all the air out of the system to service this.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #11

Do not service it.

Filter and supplies are about same cost as a bendix rebuilt one.

We ordered the kit from gillig based on vin and it was wrong one.

Since all was removed called terminal air break and was able to get bendix brand rebuilt one for less than the kit!

Do not waste time rebuilding yourself, rebuilt one has good valves and other stuff and is done by the manufacturer who built it
Old 09-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #12

Quote:
You need to identify your specific air dryer. This Bendix unit is very common so I am attaching a link to the service data sheet. http://www.beamalarm.com/foretravel-...stallation.pdf
Yes you do have to bleed all the air out of the system to service this.
Thanks for the link....Very good info..
Old 09-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Do not service it.

Filter and supplies are about same cost as a bendix rebuilt one.

We ordered the kit from gillig based on vin and it was wrong one.

Since all was removed called terminal air break and was able to get bendix brand rebuilt one for less than the kit!

Do not waste time rebuilding yourself, rebuilt one has good valves and other stuff and is done by the manufacturer who built it
Good info...thank you for the help....I have not had much luck with Gillig and prices are way high....