RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #1

1993 CC Concept Omega 40' with Detroit 8V92 Turbo Diesel

I am considering this coach because of the claimed overall condition with 94,000 miles new tires and batteries all around. Is anyone one familiar with this vintage coach, the chassis and the Detroit 8V92 Silver Turbo diesel engine and other major components?

Other than the standard items to check I would include an oil sample, air box inspection. Any other considerations?

Thanks,
Ken

msu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I would hope for some maintenance records or similar. Old coaches and old boats can be gems or money pits. If the latter, you will curse the day you bought it.

Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:01 AM   #3

Several of us are very familiar with the concept.
Have no fear it's a super solid coach.
The 8v is awesome as well.
Test it all out, every system and let us know what questions you have.
For the 8v call Joe Masser in Springfield or.
Watch for rust

cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The 8V92 Detroit was a fuel hog! They were a solid motor, but to get them to make any useable HP, you had to crank the fuel to them! Expect 3 to 5 MPG with it! The 6V92 was a little better fuel mileage wise but did not have as much power! I drove a few Semi's with them back in the day, and did not like the performance and the mileage! They were reliable, but fuel hungry! JMHO!
The CC Concept was a very nice coach, most built on the very solid Gillig bus chassis!
Rail!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

Love our 90 CC Concept. Like cntrylife said, test everything you possibly can. Incredibly well built coach. Anything not working is fixable but like any high end diesel coach the engine and transmission are the most expensive components so check those out thoroughly. Ask away.
1990 Country Coach Concept Antares, Unit # 4690

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Antares
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #6

No offense but 2 to 3 mpg on an 8 v is not applicable in an rv scenario

I actually get around 10 on my 6v92 and the 8v92 is about the same depending on how you.drive.
More power is less skinny pedal where I need to mash it to the floor to go up a hill. We just put in bigger injectors and junked to factory exhaust to take it up to 415 hp so we will see if that keeps it the same.
Every Detroit I know of beats a modern engine for fuel
Old 07-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #7

Thanks to all who contributed. Since I was not able to talk to the previous owner, it is listed with a broker, and the fact that I am over 2,000 miles away, I decided to pass on this one. I'll keep looking for the right coach.
msu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:46 PM   #8

Talking to the previous owner is a must for us. Know how well he knows his coach and what his attitude was about Maint and repair. This will save you soooo much time and trouble. Also if you are on friendly terms he/she can help you if you have an annoying issue they have already dealt with
Old 07-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu1966 View Post
Thanks to all who contributed. Since I was not able to talk to the previous owner, it is listed with a broker, and the fact that I am over 2,000 miles away, I decided to pass on this one. I'll keep looking for the right coach.

I donít know if youíve already found another coach closer to your location, but I finally took the time to look up the ad with photos and video for this Concept Omega and in my opinion it would be worth making the trip to check it out. Also, itís in Oregon City wheRE there are several RV facilities very familiar with Country Coach products and could check it out for you. FWIW I have 1990 Concept Antares 36í and am very familiar with these coaches. Incredibly well built and love it.

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Antares
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #10

Like RsPonsford, I, sadly, am very familiar with the coach and love it as well. Only occasionally want to light a match and see it go to CC heaven. Most of the time it is awesome
Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #11

Morning,
Don here with a few comments. I've had several DD's in boats etc. I bought the CC because it had a 6V92. I had a 6:71 in a 60K pound tuna boat. It would troll all day long
on 6 gallons an hour. Hard to beat! 2 cycles like the top RPM,s.
Here is a question for you..are you running a straight pipe? Turbo should spool up faster!
Also, inject propane into air intake for a short burst. Gains 400 RPM!
I'm old school I guess but you gota love the sound of a 'screamin' Jimmie lol. Don
Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #12

We built a resonator out of a new air tank and that is what I run. Bigger blower gear, injectors and turbo
Sounds pretty cool too.

Here is Joe making the exhaust
Old 09-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #13

Hi Guys,
Your pipes are right up my alley. Does it really bark at higher RPM's or can you live with the sound? I didn't want to make everyone mad at me when I went by LOL. Kinda!
Larger blower gear? Spinning blower faster?
Wish we were neighbors...we could have a ball!
I'm just getting my CC re-commissioned after a 20 year hyatis. Have replaced all pumps for heat and Webasto heat. 12V air bag pumps, and rear air bags. 3/8 air tubing is disintegrating and needs replacing. All tie wraps are shot. Front air bags I have to remove to get a part number. Just about done for a trip to Oregon. We live in AZ. This winter I need to get into the engine a little.
I do know a turbo needs to breath and a straight pipe is on the list. I like your idea of a air tank as a resonator.
I want to inject a little propane into the intake for hills etc.
A 5 speed Allison would be nice. Any info on a transmission swap? Could it be done without a lot of computer issues?
Thanks for the reply and best of luck, Don
Don
Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #14

Bigger Turbo off a 71 that was rebuilt, bigger gear (38tooth) for the blower to push more air and straight exhaust to get it out and move heat out faster.
It is a....Little louder but not too bad. To be honest it sounds cool to me but will not tick off the neighbors too much. The Jake is louder and I would love a 5-6 speed. I am not sure how hard the swap would be as there is no puter in it for all practical purposes.
Just bolt it and run a control cable I think.

Tags
diesel, turbo