Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

1993 cc magna

In 2010 I replaced all the batteries in the coach. i plug into the electric year round. my batteries boil over, i have to refill them and clean them all the time. in oct of 2011 i took it into the cummins w dealer for it's annual and safety check. they said i had a bad battery. it was replaced. all winter long i had to run the coach to charge up the batteries. brought it back to cummins w and they say it's another bad battery. i have stated it's got to be something else that is causing this. does anyone have any input on this problem? i'm stumped and they seem to be also. cathy
cofbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #2

It is quite simple actually. Your convertor in the coach is killing the batteries by overcharging. It is too bad the service person you used didn't tell the first time. As to why another battery went, they all were nearly gone when the first one went. In other words, you needed to replace them all and get a different way of charging the batteries.

Tell us how you use the coach on a daily or other basis and how much money you want to spend to cure this problm.

By the way we have the same coach and year. One month now since we brought it home and it is almost ready to go wanderin'.

Keep us posted, Joe
jofo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofbv View Post
they said i had a bad battery. it was replaced. all winter long i had to run the coach to charge up the batteries. brought it back to cummins w and they say it's another bad battery. i have stated it's got to be something else that is causing this. does anyone have any input on this problem? i'm stumped and they seem to be also. cathy
You have three ways to recharge your house battery, if that is the battery bank in question.

The best is shore power using your converter/inverter/battery charger. If that unit is boiling your batteries, then it needs service attention. If you have a digital multimeter measure the voltage entering your house batteries when being charged by the onboard charger and shore power. That voltage should be about 13.6 to 14.2 dcv.

The generator is next best because it uses less fuel and can be run for the longer time needed to recharge your batteries efficiently.

The engine alternator will recharge your batteries but is seldom used for the three or four hours daily that might be needed to fully charge your house battery.

As Joe said, replace all the house batteries at one time with matching batteries. Be sure to use storage batteries, not starting batteries when you do. Golf cart 6v batteries wired to produce 12v have proven to be very good. I purchased mine at Costco.

If you can, post the brand and model of your inverter unit. Mine is a Freedom 25, but it is two model years later than your rig.

Also post the brand and group size of your existing house batteries.

The info may help others help you.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote