Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

1997 Country Coach Allure 40' - Newbie Purchase

I've been research and searching the used market for some time for Class A's as my wife and I are finally ready to upgrade from tent / pop-up camping to motorhomes. We are in our late 30's with 3 children (1, 2 and 10 years old).

I was ideally trying to locate a well kept 90s model Class A diesel pusher for around $20K but haven't found one that was in what I consider excellent shape. I actually found 1 or 2 CC Concepts for the low 20s but they have very outdated interiors and less than ideal layout considering 5 family members. Also have been eyeing Grand Villa's but same issues.

So I finally made an offer of $30K on a 1997 Country Couch Allure with a single slide-out (great room model) and 8.3L 325HP Cummins. It is a one owner vehicle out of Arizona and has been excellently maintained. Pride in ownership shows very clearly on this coach. It has 111,000 miles on it. It has a wonderful layout for my family with two pull out coaches to house the kids at night.

My issue is that NADA value shows $18K for this coach which surprises me. I also have researched that one major downside to the 1997 model was the CC had a recall for improper weight distribution. Apparently both the slide and generator are on the same side which places more pressure on the driver side front tire. It was "resolved" by the recall.

Can I get input from more knowledgeable Country Coach owners? Anything I should be aware of? Do you feel $30K is a steep price for a 97 even though it is a one owner coach?

Any information or feedback is much appreciated as I haven't made the final purchase at this point.

FYI, I'm looking for a 1997 Allure product brochure if anyone has one.

THANKS SO MUCH and looking forward to becoming a proud CC owner!!!
customfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with finding a solution.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new to you rig.

Check this site for brochure archive, pretty sure I saw one there when I was poking around. Also a call to them might help with your questions. Country Coach Corporation - Motorhome Factory, Service Center, RV Parts

Best of luck. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #4

The oldest Allure brochure I have is from 2000. I do have a copy of a December 1997 FMCA magazine with a road test of an Allure, which I would think is a 1998. Some highlights: 275 HP Cummins standard, 325 HP optional, GVWR 30,000, Payload on their 36-footer: 3660 Lbs, 100 gal fresh water, 134 Gal total black and grey water, 106 gallons fuel, 42.4 gal propane. Price as tested, $207,295. If you have any other specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Even a 2000 will have a lot in common with a 1997, so I'd be happy to share.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
The oldest Allure brochure I have is from 2000. I do have a copy of a December 1997 FMCA magazine with a road test of an Allure, which I would think is a 1998. Some highlights: 275 HP Cummins standard, 325 HP optional, GVWR 30,000, Payload on their 36-footer: 3660 Lbs, 100 gal fresh water, 134 Gal total black and grey water, 106 gallons fuel, 42.4 gal propane. Price as tested, $207,295. If you have any other specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Even a 2000 will have a lot in common with a 1997, so I'd be happy to share.
Peralko,

If you have the time, I'd love to get a PDF of that article. Even jpg or image files is fine as I can convert to PDF easily. Thanks for the info!

Yep, this particular Allure was upgrade with all the bells and whistles which is nice.

Any late 90s CC owners out there with any feedback for me? Doesn't have to be an Allure model as the bones are very similar.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I purchased a '98 Allure 36' two months ago. Your offer is in the ballpark, as I watched these selling for the past six months, but they do sell much higher than NADA. High-end coaches are worth higher if they haven't been abused.

I uploaded a '98 Allure sales brochure on the CC Yahoo forum in the files section. I encourage all who have docs like that to do so likewise.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Having a class A is very desirable, however, with it being a 97 and 111K miles, you better be prepared to spend $$ on it for repairs. These things are not cheap to operate and maintain....being mechanical proficient helps as you can do most of your own repairs....but if you have to purchase parts or have them installed, it's gonna cost mucho bucks.

What is the date code on the tires? How old are the batteries? Have you inspected for leaks, soft floors, water stains....etc?

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #8

Back about the '96-'98 years, CC did put some under size tires on the coaches, it was not improper weight distribution. There was a recall and CC stepped up to the plate and replaced the under sized tires. Whether or not the one you are looking at has that upgrade, I don't know. I would say that it has as there were quite a few blowouts with the small tires and from what you say, the owner has taken good care of it so the recall has probably been done. Could you post the size of the tires currently on the coach?

As far as everything else such as tires, batteries, etc. I say so what. I think $30K is a fair price for the coach. I also think that NADA pricing sucks, they don't have a clue.

CC's of that vintage were well made as you can see.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Having a class A is very desirable, however, with it being a 97 and 111K miles, you better be prepared to spend $$ on it for repairs. These things are not cheap to operate and maintain....being mechanical proficient helps as you can do most of your own repairs....but if you have to purchase parts or have them installed, it's gonna cost mucho bucks.

What is the date code on the tires? How old are the batteries? Have you inspected for leaks, soft floors, water stains....etc?

Good luck

Ron
Thanks, Ron. Good advice. Yes, I understand this things can be a huge money pit especially if they haven't been maintained properly through prior use and if you have to pay 3rd parties. I'm hoping I have two things going for me. For one, this coach is immaculate condition for a 1997 (always stored indoors & owner always followed recommended maintenance). If certainly does not present as a 1997. The more important thing is that self admittedly I'm a pretty darn good mechanic. I use to build frame up rock crawlers for fun and am a fabricator and professional woodworker in my small business (contemporary live edge furniture). I'm a engineer by trade. If I can't fix it, then it is usually a complex electrical issue.

Dons2346 - Current tire size is 11R22.5. What is ideal or replacement tire size? I've read that 275/80R22.5 are a better choice? I've found a few that are H load rated for 7130 lbs.

I also read the actual front GVWR is more like 13,500lbs for this year & model Allure. If so, the 11R22.5s are underrated.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #10

I want to thank everyone for their kind input! I'm still looking for a 97 Allure product brochure if anyone has one.

I thought you might like to see pictures of the coach.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #11

Customfab,
Check your PM. The FMCA article lists GVWR of 30,000lbs, and a front GAWR of 11,000lbs. Tires were 10R22.5. By 2000 the GWVR was 33,200lbs, and tires were 12R22.5.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #12

What a beauty!!!!
Enjoy!

Sheila and Roger
The dogs, Sammy , Ozzie and Lola
2004 Country Coach Allure Newport
swedegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #13

For a brochure call country coach at 541-234-2253 and ask for Tonya and she will send you one.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #14

"Dons2346 - Current tire size is 11R22.5. What is ideal or replacement tire size? I've read that 275/80R22.5 are a better choice? I've found a few that are H load rated for 7130 lbs."

My 40ft Intrigue came with the 11R22.5 Toyo and I put 50,000 miles on them. I went through a set of Goodyear G670s and wouldn't have another set up my shorts if I had room for a sawmill. Currently have the Mich 275/80s(I think) and they are fine.

The Power Tech genny is a good one. The Zip Dee awning is bullet proof. I have a story about that for another time.

IIRC, CC went to a thinner Corian about that time which tended to crack. At that time, CC was replacing the thin Corian with the thicker stuff as a factory warranty but that won't happen now. Cracked Corian is an easy fix.

Very nice looking coach, looks like it has a new TV up front.

Enjoy the ride, It's a good one
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, purchase