Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #1

1998 Country Coach Allure 36 foot

I am looking at the above motorhome. It appears to be in excellent condition with all service records etc. Coach has 48000 miles on it. Everything seems to work ok. Is there anything I should look for on this coach? Owner is asking 35000. Does that seem like a fair price? It does not have any slides. Thanks for any info. You can provide.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdestiny View Post
I am looking at the above motorhome. It appears to be in excellent condition with all service records etc. Coach has 48000 miles on it. Everything seems to work ok. Is there anything I should look for on this coach? Owner is asking 35000. Does that seem like a fair price? It does not have any slides. Thanks for any info. You can provide.
Check the tire dates and sign the papers. It sounds great and priced right.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:00 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Average Retail on NADA is about $16k.

At that age, most of the value is in the condition of the rig. NADA will not recognize that value since they only do a mathematical amortization of RV's.

However, all lenders and most buyers use NADA as a price point.

This is important if you plan to resell or trade in a couple of years.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

If you find one for in the teens $$$ it's going to be a pos. Condition is everything at this stage of the game. If it's in great shape and you are going to hold onto it it could be a great deal. I probably paid to much for mine last August but everything I looked at was crap and I looked at a lot this one was in great shape.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Like Mike says, those selling for NADA are a pos. You will pay a premium for one in good shape.

NADA is a poor guide for what coaches are really worth
Old 03-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #6

I paid $30k for mine and put $5500 in engine work and a few tires. Still stayed at price I wanted too spend. Shape of Coach is important, but make sure you have chassis/engine gone over by pros!

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 03-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #7

I'm in the club of 'Condition, condition, condition' - with a strong dash of 'Documentation, documentation, documentation' added too.

I always look for a 'Fair good deal.' over a 'Rock bottom, or killer deal.' I've seen it happen too many times, where that rock bottom price, or negotiated killer deal - ends up costing much more to correct problems and bring a rig (Car, boat, house, etc.) back up into the proper condition.

If you like the layout, and this coach meets your needs, and it meets the Condition and Documentation. Negotiate a fair price, and be happy to go with it. I always suggest leaving some contingency budget, to cover both setting things up to how you like them, and any 'catch-up' or 'time for this xxxx maintenance item' at the start of ownership. (Get it all caught up, and set so that you know where the maintenance cycle is. Documentation, and an honest seller, will help you determine what that might mean.)

And, if you are only planning a few years of ownership with this rig, factor that into what you are willing to pay for that old of a rig now. (Not a ding on age, as I personally like good quality well cared for rolling classics - such as that era CC. But a reality of a much smaller future pool of potential buyers.)

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Old 03-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

I gambled when I purchased mine last August. It was on a consignment lot in Florida and not one service record. It seemed so well cared for that I felt the engine and trans was too. I actually just went out yesterday and picked up everything to change all fluids and filters. Fuel,antifreeze,oil and trans. I just need to find out what type of oil goes in the differential. Without shopping around I just went to the international dealer and purchased everything. Cost $600.00. I pulled the air filter and it looks like new and the filter minder says good also. Most likely I'm going to bring it in to get the air dryer replaced and a chassis lube.

2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
Old 03-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. guys. It is really appreciated. The outside of coach looks basically new, tires are only 3 years old, air dryer replaced last year,
oil sample taken last year with everything coming back ok. engine compartment is super clean and owner has kept all records. I havent decided whether to buy this old and keep for a while or just bite the bullet and buy newer now and be done with it. Right now we are driving an old 96 georgie boy gas motorhome and want something better that we can take on longer trips. I have kids in North Carolina and Florida. I live in Illinois. Decisions, decisions. Once again thanks.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Go for it, you won't regret it!
CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdestiny View Post
Thanks for all the info. guys. It is really appreciated. The outside of coach looks basically new, tires are only 3 years old, air dryer replaced last year,
oil sample taken last year with everything coming back ok. engine compartment is super clean and owner has kept all records. I havent decided whether to buy this old and keep for a while or just bite the bullet and buy newer now and be done with it. Right now we are driving an old 96 georgie boy gas motorhome and want something better that we can take on longer trips. I have kids in North Carolina and Florida. I live in Illinois. Decisions, decisions. Once again thanks.

I hear what you are saying. We had a 1994 PaceArrow gas and I really couldn't stand it anymore. It use to wander all over the road and passing 18 wheelers would suck you in then push you out. The brakes were marginal at best. This thing rides like a dream awesome brakes and very quiet. I use to drive my Pace for three or four hours and was beat. My first drive with this was 14 hours straight and could of drove more. I went to bed that night and couldn't wait for morning to go drive some more. My Pace with the 454 was lucky to get 7mpg. So far we are getting almost 10mpg. I know diesel costs more. I told my wife this would most likely be our last rig. I have plans to keep it 10 years and that should bring me to retirement and we will see were are at. Good luck with what ever you buy.

2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD