Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #1

2 questions -fridge changeover in socal/jake brake

My intro post was just listed . I have two beginner /newbie questions. First I have a 2 stage jake, but cannot feel a difference in the two positions. The jake works well, but seems both setting are the same? . The switch on my left can go forward and also back, so
I assume one position is stage 1 and the other is 2. Which is which?

Second, I have read all the many posts on Samsung replacement for the not cold. Seems so many folks go to Oregon for this, or DIY. There are two high end coach independent shops in Chino, CA where I live, and both get high reviews, but profess to not knowing anything about Samsung into CC conversions. Does anyone have a recommendation for this work in Socal? I am planning to take advantage of upcoming Black Friday to buy the fridge, but want to get the change lined up first. I also recall some Arizona suggestions , and I can wait on this if required until I can get down to Phoenix ( 90 miles from my AZ address) if a shop there has done them before also. DO not want to pay someone to learn and experiment if I can find experience in my area. Coach is stored for now in Socal. We have no long distance plans for Junction anytime soon, as I want to learn the coach with local trips first.
Thanks
jonemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #2

Are you looking for a recommendation in AZ?
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

Prefer socal for now as w that is where coach is for winter. CAn use AZ later in 2018 if necesary
Jonathan, 2008 Allure Sunset Bay 37 425 ISL #31609
Old 10-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #4

Usually on the engine brake there are 2 settings, one will make the engine brake come on when you take your foot off the gas pedal, the 2nd setting will let you coast and when you apply the breaks the engine break will kick in. Are you applying the breaks everytime you take your foot off the gas? if you are try each setting with your foot off the break, one should kick and the other should let you coast.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #5

Nope, the jake brake light comes on If I lift off the go pedal, whether switch is forward or back position. That is why I was wondering why two positions on the switch. The brake seems to work fine, operates with cruise, comes on nicely and releases at about 15 mph, I just do not get the 2 stage part.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonemw View Post
My intro post was just listed . I have two beginner /newbie questions. First I have a 2 stage jake, but cannot feel a difference in the two positions. The jake works well, but seems both setting are the same? . The switch on my left can go forward and also back, so
I assume one position is stage 1 and the other is 2. Which is which?

Second, I have read all the many posts on Samsung replacement for the not cold. Seems so many folks go to Oregon for this, or DIY. There are two high end coach independent shops in Chino, CA where I live, and both get high reviews, but profess to not knowing anything about Samsung into CC conversions. Does anyone have a recommendation for this work in Socal? I am planning to take advantage of upcoming Black Friday to buy the fridge, but want to get the change lined up first. I also recall some Arizona suggestions , and I can wait on this if required until I can get down to Phoenix ( 90 miles from my AZ address) if a shop there has done them before also. DO not want to pay someone to learn and experiment if I can find experience in my area. Coach is stored for now in Socal. We have no long distance plans for Junction anytime soon, as I want to learn the coach with local trips first.
Thanks

If your handy at all you can install the fridge yourself. We live in the high desert if I can be of any help.

http://moenracing.com/Samsung/

On our CC if you press the rear of the Jake brake switch is the low setting and press the forward part of the switch is the high setting. Test it on a grade and if it's working correctly there is a very deffinate difference.

Barney
07 Inspire
BarneyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #7

I had Redlands Truck & RV do my fridge swapout. They work on everything and can match wood, stain, etc. Email Mike at mike@redlandstruckservice.com or call his cell 909-206-3183 with your questions.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #8

Thanks Barney M, that brake switch info was what I needed. Since you are sort of local to me, I may take you up on that Fridge install assistance, I have seen and read previously your online description. We will see what the sales prices are like in a month or so. I am handy, but lack completely any facility in which to do the work, and driveway is too steep, street parking is not level.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #9

Thanks for the reference to the Redlands folks, retired -guy, did not know they were there. Will think on this .
Old 10-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #10

The ISL (Assume you have the ISL!), is not a large displacement engine. So the difference between Low/Stage 1 Jake and High/Stage 2 Jake, is rather subtle. That being said, our CAPS era ISL370 (In a 2003 coach.) left Cummins with a bad adjustment to the activation of the Jake Compression Brake between Low and High. Cummins Cal Pacific had to remove the Valve cover, to go in and properly set/adjust the controls that effect the closing of the valves. Low/Stage 1 worked well. But High/Stage 2 the valves were not being properly controlled, which meant the final three cylinders (Low/Stage 1 is 3 cyl, and High/Stage 2 is the the final there cyl on ISL. Bigger displacement engines with 3 Stage Jake Braking are 1=2cyl, 2=4cyl and stage 3=6cyl). Thus, the no noticeable difference between Low/Stage 1 and High/Stage 2.

After the correction, I could tell the difference. But more towards the higher RPM's (Compression Braking on this small of an engine, really depends upon compression braking horse power, which is stronger the higher the RPM. On the CAPS era ISL370/400 engines, this is 2000 to a max of 2600 RPM. (I have a self max RPM of 2400 RPM, but feel better using it at between 2200-2400 RPM.)

Also note, if you have the Cummins ISL in that coach, that it is the Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) era engine. In addition to compression braking, the vanes of the Turbo shift to also add increased back pressure, which add's a higher level of Braking Horse Power then is possible with the CAPS era ISL.

Suggest a few steps:
-Get out and find a hill that you can easily cycle back to and practice going down in different gears, and at different RPM's.
-If you can find a gear with Jake on Low, that produces say 2200-2400 RPM, and then you shift to Jake High and do not feel a slight difference. Then it is worth having Cummins take a look at hour engine. (Below say 2000 RPM, with the smaller displacement of the ISL Mid Size Block Engine, not too dramatic of a change in Braking Horse Power should be expected...).
-While doing this testing, try manually down shifting the transmission to say 3rd gear, to help get RPM's up. (Default is probably 4th gear when you activate Jake. If you started in 6th, you manually have to down shift with the Allison shift Down Arrow, twice to get it in sync with the displayed 4th gear. (Arrow down 1, to 5th; Arrow down a 2nd time to 4th; Then, the Arrow down again will engage 3rd. (I share this, as it was embarrassingly almost three months before I realized that even though the transmission dispatched '4th' (Which it was in.), the Allison brain still felt it was in 6th! (At least in my older ear coach.)).

And I want to be clear. I do like our 2 Stage Jake Compression Brake. It took me awhile to learn how to use it to the best of it's capabilities. Whereas, when I was test driving an Intrigue with the C13 (Bigger displacement.), a much more 'profound' difference, and due to gearing at lower RPM's too, was noted between Low and High compression braking. Size of engine does matter with Compression Braking....

And also in my memory cells, I believe some Variable Geometry Turbo's had some setting problems in the early years, where the vanes were not being controlled property in conjunction with the Compression Braking. So, if you go to Cummins, they should be able to let you know if your era engine is suspect in that areas too.

If you have not done so, call Cummins with our Engine SN (IF, it's a Cummins!), and ask them for peak HP/Torque curve values. And also, peak Braking Horse Power RPM ranges for your engine.

If you have a CAT C9, forget all of the above, as I have no input!

And finally, have fun with new wheels!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Allure has the 425 ISL and, as noted by Smitty, there is not a lot of difference (at least not that I can easily detect) between the low and high engine brake. I had the valves adjusted by Cummins some time ago and asked them to check for proper function of the engine brake. They said it was working as designed. I also had them reprogram the engine ECU to activate the compression brake only when I apply the service brakes. So, regardless of what switch position I have selected, my engine brake will not come on until I touch the service brake. Once it comes on, as soon as I touch the accelerator the engine brake disengages.

My VGT also adds to braking. It makes a lot of noise (sounds like air rushing) when the engine brake engages.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #12

Thanks for the very good input on the Jake. I am thinking now about where to find a suitable testing hill. I do indeed have a Cummins ISL, I looked specifically for a Cummins coach , rather than Cat. I look forward to figuring this out more..
Old 10-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
For the VGT you can watch the Silverleaf (set on Turbo Pressure) and the boost will increase on engine braking if the vanes are set properly to add back pressure on inlet while braking.

I can see it on mine.

Welcome - we love our 37' Sunset Bay.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #14

I have heard great things about Redlands Truck and RV.
I have done two refrigerator changes, but they were both just a swap.
I have friends that have done this conversion, 17 cf Samsung. Unit can come out the window escape hatch.
One tip, they are a lot easier to handle with the doors off. Mike is the guy to talk to. Not to far from you.
rampage42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, fridge