Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #1

2000 Allure electric problems

When plugged into shore power the power to all my 110 wall receptacles will turn off. Eventually they will reactivate on their own. If I flip the main breaker off and back on they will come on but often turn back off. The breaker seem to be operating correctly. I have also checked the no fault circuit breaker. and the surge protector. Could the inverter cause this type of problem? When the receptacles quit working I still have power to the AC units and reefer! None of the breakers are breaking when this happens. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #2

Do they behave the same with generator power vs shore power?

My first thought would be transfer switch, but the coming back on after resetting the main breaker seems to indicate power is flowing downstream from the transfer switch.

Possibly a faulty ground?

Not much of helpful response, but was thinking as I was typing! Will follow this thread to see how others respond - some pretty sharp board members here!

Best of luck,
Smitty

Old 10-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #3

Basic troubleshooting.

Stop flipping and guessing as yiu will get frustrated.

Pick up a cheap voltmeter if you do not have one and check voltages at common intersections or basic blocks.

At supply first or pedestal then at your load center as it is easy.

It sounds like surge protector or ats so the voltmeter will show you what you have.

If good at source and bad at load center then look for where the cord goes and start there checking voltages on both sides of any box or device the along the path.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
On my rig:

The outlets power pass through the 120v circuit breaker in the bedroom panel, through the inverter, and then through the GFI outlet before arriving at the other outlets.

So, it would seem your problem is either the circuit panel breaker, the breaker switch on the inverter, or the GFI receptacle.

I would suspect a failing GFI receptacle.

It is also the easiest and cheapest to replace.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

I have checked the voltage at the breaker box in the bed room and at the surge protector. I am getting 118 to 120 volts at these locations when the receptacles are dead. I have Also checked the GFI Receptacle. Getting 118 t0 120 volts. when power is working in the receptacles and of course none when not. GFI seems to break and reset normally. I can switch to battery power when receptacles loose power and they come back on. I'm thinking there is a link between sore and inverter that must be causing the problem!!!!!! Still looking!!
Old 10-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

Check if you have any non-GFI receptacles, and check voltage there. I believe my '98 has non-GFI behind the fridge, on the dash and in the basement. I replaced my GFI already.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Retired USAFR
ltcolmac17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #7

I've ruled out the breakers and the GFI that leaves the Inverter. I'm not familiar with any reset switch on the inverter just the on /off switch on the inverter itself and the on /off switch in the coach. The inverter operates as it should when the shore power is disconnected???? What should I be looking for at this point in the inverter compartment?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #8

Unplug and power off the unit then pull the GFI and check the connections to it for a loose connection. Also check the breaker connections. If that is fine follow back to the next junction point. Not sure if that is the breaker box or the inverter. The fact that it comes back by itself makes it sound like either a bad connection or a self resetting breaker. Look for a push button type breaker in the chain.

Just a thought. Thinking about it a bit it also sounds like you could be running a significant load whenever you plug in. Look at what is connected to that AC string. If you are switching on a heavy load you may be tripping something with the power surge. The other thing you could try if you have an IR thermometer for checking tires use it to scan your panel and GFI for a hot spot from a bad connection.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxout View Post
I've ruled out the breakers and the GFI that leaves the Inverter. I'm not familiar with any reset switch on the inverter just the on /off switch on the inverter itself and the on /off switch in the coach. The inverter operates as it should when the shore power is disconnected???? What should I be looking for at this point in the inverter compartment?
The only way I would know to rule out the GFI is to replace it with a non-GFI outlet temporarily and see if symptoms persist. (Be sure to remount it if no change.)

My rig has two breaker switches (one for each circuit) mounted in the House Fuse bay on the wall directly behind the Inverter. They have opened on occasion but power is not restored without my physical interaction. If the breaker switch for the GFI circuit has a loose connection it might cause your intermittent problem?

If you have power at the 120v Circuit Breaker Panel when the outlets are not working, that leaves only the Inverter and its basement breakers/wiring and the GFI as possible culprits.

There is a 120V / Inverter transfer switch inside my Heart Freedom 25 Inverter (in addition to the external shower power/generator transfer switch).

However that Inverter transfer switch just selects between Inverter (Battery) and Shore power. So you would have GFI outlet power in either mode.

Do your GFI outlets work fine in the Invert mode with no 120v power supplied to the rig?
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 10-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #10

Did you reset the two breakers on the inverter? They will trip and look like they aren't.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #11

If outlets work on inverter but not shore then issue must be between inverter and shore.

Check wiring into inverter for all impacted circuits as there may be more than one urchin involved and inverter may use the good one for sensing shore power.

If internal transfer switch it could be poor connection or bad contact on shore side.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #12

Here is a Xantrex trouble shooting manual for some of their inverters including the Freedom series.

http://www.tekrispower.com/pdfs/xant...leshooting.pdf

My circuits that run through the inverter will sometimes drop out while I'm on generator power and running the A/C's or heat pumps. When this happens, one of the units kicks on and the inverter powered circuits will drop out for about 10 seconds. I assume that the voltage drop caused by the compressor startup drops the voltage below what the inverter wants to see and the transfer switch drops the power to the receptacles.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #13

Another thought based upon Phay's post above.

If you have a Xantrex control panel (like a Link 2000) that allows Power Sharing settings options, you may need to reduce the 120v power dedicated to your battery charger setting.

That would leave more power for the outlets?
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 10-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #14

I think I've isolated my problem to the inverter. The power to the receptacles can drop of for no known reason during the night but also kicks off power to the receptacles when the coffee maker or microwave is switched on. I have a freedom 20 inverter. I have gone out and rapped on the inverter box the last few times I lost receptacle power. The buzzing tone has changed like it is under a increased load and my receptacle have come back on. None of the four breakers on the face of the inverter have broken so it must be internal. Someone told me that there are contact points in the inverter that can stick. I will try the rap and tap method a few more times to make sure the inverter is the problem before going any further. Has any of you been inside the inverter box or would it have to be sent in for rebuilding? Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Tags
problems