Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
2000 Allure Electrical - Help!

I have a 2000 Allure that just started shutting down. Driving down the road, tach and speedo start going crazy, volt meter drops and engine turns off, then it turns back on and everything is normal...scary! I had it running while getting fuel and it turned off on its own. I went to start it, turn the key and nothing (no cranking). Turn it again and it started up. Anybody experience this or have any ideas what could be wrong? The only thing I could think of was the low coolant shut off sensor, but the coolant is full and above the sight glass. Are there any other sensors that shut the engine down? Batteries are new and terminals are clean. It is at the shop and they are going to look at tomorrow but we have a weekend trip so I wanted to give them some ideas so we can make our trip. Driving this rig will keep you on your toes!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #2

What chassis is it on ????
ford chevrolet ect

garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #3

It's on the Dynamax chassis with an 8.3l cummins diesel.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Check electrical connections on battery, disconnect switches and solenoids and especially ground cable to frame.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #5

Hope they can pull a code that will help. Yes to checking grounds, or for other loose wires. Especially with new batteries, something may have worked loose. Please let us know the results.
Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Perhaps the alternator is acting weird? I believe it controls the tach.

The symptoms do sound like a loose wire. Is everything tight in the battery compartment and at the alternator?

The low coolant sensor can be a culprit on a hard curve on my rig, but not in a straight line.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #7

Just wanted to give everybody an update.

The obvious things like the batteries and related connections, output of alternator, etc. all checked out OK. So, I called the Country Coach tech hotline and based on the symptons, they recommended that I replace the ignition solenoid. They then told me exactly how to get to it and to buy a high quality replacement, not a $5 cheap unit. The new solenoid was installed and now everything works, with no issues at all.

Except, that as the coach was being backed out of the garage, the chassis A/C compressor seized up and broke the belt. So, we looked for a repalcement and couldn't find a number on the unit. We called the Country Coach tech hotline again and they told us the original manufacturer was out of business but gave us information on where to get a new unit that would work. They also had the bracket we would need for the new unit and is shipping that out to us.

Those guys are awesome!

So, I brought the coach in to replace the leaking hot water tank, which was fixed, and on the way home, the ignition solenoid went, and then after that was fixed, the A/C compressor seized up. I'm due for a break!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #8

The solenoid that CC referred to, is that the one in the engine compartment low down on the right side bulkhead? Looks like a Ford starter relay?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Check electrical connections on battery, disconnect switches and solenoids and especially ground cable to frame.
+1

Sounds like a bad ground cable connection to me.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346
The solenoid that CC referred to, is that the one in the engine compartment low down on the right side bulkhead? Looks like a Ford starter relay?
No, this relay is attached to the back of the panel on the dash across from the passenger seat. Take off that panel and the solenoid is attached to the back of it. After replacing, everything works perfect now.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like you nailed it. A picture of the device would answer a lot of questions. If it is a solenoid it would have two large terminals and probably two small ones. Common failure items. In an emergency or troubleshooting situation you can stack all the large wires on one post which would bypass the solenoid.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #12

I just went through the same thing on my 97 Allure 36'.....it took me weeks with outside help to find the culprit. If you would like to give me a call I'll tell you what to look for and where.

Danny 469-265-7798

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthowards View Post
I have a 2000 Allure that just started shutting down. Driving down the road, tach and speedo start going crazy, volt meter drops and engine turns off, then it turns back on and everything is normal...scary! I had it running while getting fuel and it turned off on its own. I went to start it, turn the key and nothing (no cranking). Turn it again and it started up. Anybody experience this or have any ideas what could be wrong? The only thing I could think of was the low coolant shut off sensor, but the coolant is full and above the sight glass. Are there any other sensors that shut the engine down? Batteries are new and terminals are clean. It is at the shop and they are going to look at tomorrow but we have a weekend trip so I wanted to give them some ideas so we can make our trip. Driving this rig will keep you on your toes!