Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #1

2000 Magna - Do you Know this coach?

We just put a hold on a 2000 Magna that was apparently traded in Arizona. It's currently on a lot (Right Side UP RV) in Salt Lake City. This is pending inspection which should take place next week.

Do you have any knowledge of this coach or can you offer any opinions? I will for sure have the turbo boost checked to be sure the Charge Air Cooler is good.

Fred

2000 CC Magna #5734
Delano MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Fluids testing(Transmission, oil, coolant) would be good money spent.
Look this site over Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service , the owner is a member on here, you and read his threads and PM him with questions.
Former Allison Transmission Fluids Engineer , His name is Tom.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #3

I just went to their website to look at it. Looks super clean to me. Asking price seems very fair. I paid almost that two years ago for my 98. Looked up the 2000 Magna on nada with no options.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #4

Unless service records are available plan on all fluid and filter changes, both engine and generator. Probably replace engine belts.

I bought my 2000 Magna in 2010 and the first thing I did was all of the above.

Major chassis repairs have included drag link and tie rod ends, charge air cooler, tires, and chassis batteries.

House repairs included replacement of both TV's, replaced dash radio and failed rear view camera, water pump replacement, slide seals replaced, slide hydraulics repair, house batteries, air mattress replaced when pump failed, and just last week replaced the failed Dometic refrigerator with a Samsung residential RV18 frig.

There have been other repairs to both chassis and house but these are the major ones I remember. Remember this coach is 16 years old. It is a well built coach that will still offer years of service. At least that's what I plan with my coach.

If you go to http://damonrapozo.com/modelhistory/index.php?id=000004 You can see standard equipment for the year and when any run changes were made. By the way, the coach number is on the inside of the bathroom vanity cabinet door and can be used as you read through Damon's list.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #5

Don't forget, for you and all: 100k its time to change the differential oil. Meritor wants synthetic to replace the dino oil it came with.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #6

Yes I plan on having oil and coolant tested before closing a deal on anything.

Our current coach is a 1965 MCI former hound so I know all about fixing things. But I'd rather spend time and money maintaining something that was top quality to begin with than to monkey around with something that was entry level at best when new.

Phays, how did you know the Charge Air Cooler was leaking? Does it have a boost gauge? What are the boost specifications for a 385 hp C10 in 2000 ?

Thanks for all your input. And if you know anybody looking for an MCI point them my way. We'll have a Country Coach eventually.

Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
Delano MN
Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #7

Mine had no service records and I unfortunately had no time to do any sort of testing. We jumped in and drove 2,000 miles. 10,000 miles later all is still good.
After getting home changed oil,oil filter,fuel filter,coolant filter and rear diff. fluid,changed trans filters and fluid to transyand. Belts looked good so we got a new set we carry but did not install. I really should change them and keep the old as a spare especially with the side radiator changing is a breez.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #8

It is CC# 5734. We had it inspected and I plan on flying out to SLC to check it out and probably drive it home. It has an engine monitoring system that I cannot identify. But it looks like it might provide numerous operating parameters.
2000 CC Magna #5734
Delano MN
Old 03-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
It is CC# 5734. We had it inspected and I plan on flying out to SLC to check it out and probably drive it home. It has an engine monitoring system that I cannot identify. But it looks like it might provide numerous operating parameters.
Might be a Silverleaf engine monitoring system. That's what ours has but then we have a newer model and they could have changed.
Here's a little more info on it: http://damonrapozo.com/model_history....php?id=000004
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #10

Fredward,
I use VMSpc to monitor my engine just as the Silver Leaf display that Country Coach installed, I assume as an option since my coach does not have a factory installed Silver Leaf unit.

However, without a boost gauge, just find a relatively steep hill and see how the coach behaves. When my CAC was bad I could not maintain speed while climbing a moderate hill.

The engine test that CAT ran on my engine showed 54.2 inches of mercury. That converts to 26.6 psi. Since I've had the CAC replaced I've seen boost pressure slightly higher than 24 psi on longer climbs. Prior to the replacement I don't remember boost pressure getting into the teens.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #11

OK that's very helpful. As mentioned over in the engine section, I still don't know if I'll have any objective way to measure boost.

Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
Delano MN
Old 03-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #12

Well I found the previous owner through various research. He traded it in Arizona for a coach with four slides back in December. They wanted something bigger as they plan on spending more time in it in the winter. He was surprised to hear it turned up on a lot in SLC. He said that in many ways he wishes he hadn't gotten rid of it. The new coach isn't as nice although they like the four slides. He said everything works and any issues he had, he paid to get fixed right.

He said the display panel on the dash is a Cat engine monitor system and it gives you all the critical read outs. He also said the engine temperature gauge on the dash is unreliable; usually reads high. He replaced the gauge and the sending unit to no avail.

Now I'm getting excited.

Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
Delano MN
Old 03-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #13

Good job finding and getting 1st hand info from the previous owner. Sure hope the personal inspection checks out for you. The Magna of that era are still as good, or better, then many of the higher end coaches rolling off the factory floor today. That is an easier less smogged up engine era as well, and that to me is another positive. The interior maybe getting a bit aged on appearance, but those are personal preferences that a small investment in funds can change over to personal choices. For sure, if it checks out sound, it becomes a good foundation to modify to your desire.

Oh, and not surprising to hear he had some sellers remorse. We purposely choose a coach with only two drivers side slides. The deep living room slide, and normal depth bedroom slide. (If we had found a three slide, I would have probably been OK with that too. We just did not want a slide on the living room of the passenger side, due to a few of our favorite campgrounds narrow spaces. We could have made the rear passenger slide work out in those spaces.). Hard to beat the CC combo of good build, and component mix!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
We just put a hold on a 2000 Magna that was apparently traded in Arizona. It's currently on a lot (Right Side UP RV) in Salt Lake City. This is pending inspection which should take place next week.

Do you have any knowledge of this coach or can you offer any opinions? I will for sure have the turbo boost checked to be sure the Charge Air Cooler is good.

Fred
I am biased in favor of Country Coach and the Magna especially. Ours has treated us well for over 14 years.

We store it uncovered.

But..... the biggest headache for me has been maintaining the clear coat exterior paint. Especially clear coat on the white gelcoat.

The white gelcoat was clear coated just as the two part color coat was.

However the elements wear the gelcoat/clear coat faster and it began peeling at about 15 years in general. (The brow started at 8 years)

Now at 21 years, I am losing the clear coat over base/color coat.

So, if appearance is important to you the best fix is to repaint the rig. This is an expensive option. Clear coat works best over base coat paint.

Next best would be to clear coat the existing surface of rig but the peeling of the gel coat area would likely occur again fairly soon.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote