Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Nuttmann
Smile 2002 Bed and Breakfast 42' new to us maiden voyage and I have a few questions

My wife and I are on our maiden trip in the 2002 42' Affinity we bought last month. We previously had a much smaller gas powered class A. We really like the Affinity. It has a beautiful south west interior with greenish antique type cabinets, stained glass, piped leather. And so on. I drove it home 450 miles and have done a bit of sorting out and learning the systems. We drove 150 miles out to the desert for a week in Borrego Springs CA. I have read through all the manuals I have and here are a few things I cannot find.

1. Where is the on / off switch for the electric hot water heater. It is supposed to be in the cabinet over the washer in the galley to the left of the exhaust fan controls. It is not there. And it is not working. We have aqua hot so we have been using that, but would like to switch on the electric water heater.

2. This is an all electric coach. Even with turning the house batteries off in a couple days the batteries go down enough so the gen will not start. I am planning to install solar, but have not yet. So what settings do you set the auto gen start to, to keep batteries charged up. There is are these settings autocharger start volts? I figured about 11.8volts is that right? Run time ? 20 minutes? Topoff volts? run time? What should those settings be? Also, is it a good idea to have the autogenerator start do what I want to do? I am a little concerned about leaving it auto start at the storage lot I keep it at, any opinions?

3. What should I inflate the tires to? The label to the left of the drivers chair says 130 cold front, 110 back, 100 tag. Manual says 130 front, 100 back, 110 tag. My RV repair guys came up with 110 front, 110 back, 100 tag. I have Michelin tires. 130 seems like such a lot of pressure. I thought Alcoa wheels were only good to 120. Comments please?

4. Where is the house water filter?

5. When you dump the fresh water tank where does the water go? Into the gray tank or on the ground?

6. Where is the surge protector? I want to make sure it is on.

7. There seems to be a leak in the drain in the galley. When the slide is out it goes out the bottom on the slide. Any comments?

8. I have aqua hot and heat pumps. If you leave the aqua hot on when you go to sleep it makes lots of noise. Do you normally leave on heat pumps, or we have a small electric heater we just plug in. Not that cold here, but you need a little heat at night.

9. What is the normal procedure to descend big long hills with jacob brake. My old gas coach you just took your foot off the brake and when you got going 60 you pulled down a gear. The motor is a Cat and not supposed to go over 2100. That means you should be going 55-60 and no more if engine brake is used. So is that what you do, go slow. When I went down I-8 going east the other day in the steepest parts I had to use quite a bit of service brake to keep the speed down. I did not down shift, but the tansmission went into 4th on its own. Should I shift down manually?

10. How often do you have to add coolant? When you buy coolant do you just ask for the stuff good for Cat motors?

Thank you in advance. I spent several hours today going over my books and some comments would really help.

Bob & Barbara
2002 Country Coach Affinity
Bob Nuttmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
join cci club,keep reading thoes manuals. i live in flat fl so i don't see many hills but that trip out west wow.my house water filter is in a bay behind a cover,suggest you remove all your covers in the bays just to see all the neat stuff that can go bad. my filter change is not fun loct is unbelivebale and some previous owner kept the filter wrench. i check all fluid levels before each outing i have been using prestone for diesel eng, at napa.fix the leak asap lots of wood in these rv and water will wipe out your wood flooring.my water goes to the ground.i don't have a water heater heater switch,i use the circuit breaker. i use the pressure posted on the inside of the coach be sure to check the age of your tires.i wish you luck with your new to you coach and keep checking the irv2 site it the best around.

gla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Happy New Year Bob...I'll help where I can...
# 1...Not sure on the switch...mine is on the heater itself but I'm sure on the Affinity it is in a more local location.
# 2..I would do a manual start until you can find the settings for the "auto start"...A battery is dead below 12 volts so try to keep them up to at least 12 volts....As far as storage goes I would use the batt disconnect...I do that with mine and usually have no problems....
# 3...Tires...go to the manufactures web site, get your tire and see what the inflation is...do you know what your coach weighs when you and the wife are traveling?...if so inflate the tires to carry that load and no more
# 4 My filter is in the center bay rear wall...take a panel off and there it is...I have seen some CC's with it near the water service bay...You need to do a little scouting...
# 5, 6, & 7...Sorry but no help on these three
# 8 we usually leave the front heat pump on and close all of the vents in front to push the air to the back without the noise...works well...
# 9...If you have a hill to descend at the top engage the Jake...let the coach roll down the hill and only hit the service brakes as needed to keep the speed where you want it...the tranny will up-shift if the RPM's get too high so this is where you use the brakes to slow the coach down and keep the tranny from up-shifting...when using the brakes hit them hard and then get off of them...don't ride them down the hill as they will over heat and then fade away (not a good thing) If you let this happen (tranny up shifting) the coach can get away from you...You can also manually down shift the tranny to any gear as long as it will not over rev the engine...mine is set for fourth but if I want to descend in 3rd then at the top of the hill I put it in 3rd and hit the service brakes as needed...I live in the west as well and have traveled over the Sierra's many times using this method and it works well...
# 10...Only if you have a leak or at the recommended Cat change out...call the Cat dealer and ask them...I change my coolant every 5 years and buy it from Cummins as I have a Cummins engine.

Well I hope this helped and good luck with the Affinity...It is one very nice coach and have a Happy New Year....
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
We have an '06 Allure with the Cummins ISL 400 but hopefully some of the same things will apply:

#4: we have a hydrohot and the whole house filter is located in that bay.
#6: most likely in the bay where the power cord is or in the bay directly below the breaker box
#8: unless real cold we turn the thermostat down and put it on electric only and close the door in the bedroom...helps a lot; also if you have electric floor heat like we do then turning that up to a high setting will allow you to reduce the temp on the furnance as it will make the floors nice and warm when you get up and then turn on the diesel for a quick room warm-up. otherwise all i can say is that it is still lots quieter than our last rig with a propane furance.
#9: on our rig it works in conjunction with the cruise control; what we do is set the cruise to about 5 MPH below the posted limit and generally speaking let it work automatically; seeing as you're in Southern CA I will relate that we regularly go down the Cajon Pass ssetting the cruise to just over 50 at the top and never having to touch the brakes (unless we encounter a slower vehicle in front of us) and will never have the rig get beyond 65; if you have a true jacobs compression brake there will be at least 3 settings -- high, low & off; since we drive a lot in the mountains we usually leave ours on high for maximum braking
#10: unless changed recently and yet "burped" you shouldn't have to add much coolant on a regular basis...if you are adding a lot regularly you may have a leak which coudl be as simple as the clamps requiring retightening.

You should check out the yahoo CC owner's group as that is very active and can probably get you even more info (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...wners/messages)
Techie is offline   Reply With Quote