Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #1

2002 Magna??

I'm unsure if I want to go with a coach as vintage as this one, but it's low miles and very attractive. Seller is a dealer that doesn't know much, so let me ask for your wisdom.

On the 425HP version and the 2002 model year, are the radiator and PTO within the year range that they need to be replaced/updated?

Anything specific to that year range on 425HP engines, or on the coaches themselves?

thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

The radiator and PTO were not issues for that year. But if we were looking for an 02 CC, I would go for an Affinity. You get 3 instead of two roof ACs, a larger fuel tank, and many came all-electric with residential refrigerators, just to name a few differences. We looked at a nice one yesterday, and DW almost talked herself into getting it instead of the Prevost!

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

Thanks, Peralko!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #4

That era Magna has some good things going for it, not the least, is the maturity of the CAT. It's pre heavy smog changes, and was towards the later end of that era's C12, which I believe is in this coach(?). 02 were in the sweet spot as far Country Coach quality cycle of coach building.

The dealer not knowing much about it, would require extra due diligence on inspection, engine and transmission analysis and fluid samples. This above the normal checking of tire, battery, belts, hoses age.

If it has not been updated along they years, it will have tubed TV's, that would be prime for upgrading to later technology.

And yes, Peralko is right, the Affinity of those era were top notch - in the upper end of all top end coaches of that era. But I also feel the Magna is a great coach, if it meets your needs. Say a solid B+ to the Affinity being an A+!

One suggestion, is anything that is not able to be validated as maintained properly, should be priced in such away that you budget for it's relatively quick maintenance or replacement. Cooling fluid change, transmission loud change, air dryer, etc., etc. - these can add up to several thousand dollars. So factor that in any price negotiations. If this dealer has a good solid reputation, perhaps negotiate into the deal XXX hours of at cost shop rates. I had 100 hours of work at $75 vs at then $120 normal shop rates. And I got parts at costs, not dealer marked up, for the items I had them source. I also provided several parts that I source myself. This requires a good salesman to work this with the shop side of the business, as it eats into that managers business costs, and he usually is graded and bonuses attached to how the shop side performs. (Our salesman worked it out so the Sales Side and Shop Side budget shared the lost costs of these discounts. I should have mentioned, that my parts costs at cost were capped at $3500.

Just another angle to dealing in the purchase of a coach, and being able to get caught up on baseline maintenance, so you can start with a solidly maintained coach.

Best of luck to you!
Smitty
Old 08-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #5

Guys, looking at this coach do you think a road trip would be worth someones time. I not looking but just asking what you think if it would be worth the price of a plane ticket. I like it but you know how pictures can change everything.
2002 Country Coach Magna 40' Two Slides - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
2 stroker
2 Stroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

I've not researched prices for awhile, so no comment on price.

The add reads good, with indoor storage being a real plus. Before the cost of a flight, I'd ask them to obtain permission from the owner to contact Premier to review the service history. Not just for the history, but what may have been documented as 'recommended repairs' - that were then skipped.

Newer tires and house batteries are positive plus.

Pictures can be tricky, but looks like a nice coach... It's the getting down and dirty and reviewing of documented history that matters! And that will tell you if it's worth the trip.

Best of luck to you!
Smitty

On Edit: Just caught this is a different coach then the OP was commenting on. Is Bill Vincent, Indio, mentioned in the add the owner? If so, he for sure should be able to authorize Premier to share the service history of the coach.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #7

That is kind of what I was thinking if he was able to have Premier fax or call them with the coach info to see what has been done. By the time you buy batteries, tires, and all the other stuff listed the price of the coach comes down plus it seems to have been checked out already and it may be road ready. Premier should know, just a though.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Smitty, as always, is a great source of very useful information. I have valued his opinions and he has offered great pointers and suggestions.
I bought a newer (2008) Affinity about six months ago. While did due diligence in pre-purchase inspection (mainly looking for any major issues), I have spent a great deal of time, effort and $$$$ to make it my own since the purchase. Unless you buy new, you will always have these post-purchase fix ups/mods. How much of that, simply depends on the existing condition of the coach and your comfort level about owning and driving it down the road.
It looks like you have a good prospect needs to be further pursued!

All the best!
Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #9

People with diesel experience won't buy a 2 slide coach if they can find a 4 slide coach. 4 slides makes coach feel like a small apartment. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-28-2015, 11:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
People with diesel experience won't buy a 2 slide coach if they can find a 4 slide coach. 4 slides makes coach feel like a small apartment. Just my opinion.

Depends on what you use the coach for, IMO. For those of us that simply use it a few times a year to visit family, slides aren't all that important, and two are fine. Fewer things to go wrong.

That said, re-sale is better with 3 or 4 slides.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Guys, looking at this coach do you think a road trip would be worth someones time. I not looking but just asking what you think if it would be worth the price of a plane ticket. I like it but you know how pictures can change everything.
2002 Country Coach Magna 40' Two Slides - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
2 stroker
In case you get serious about the Magna, shoot me a PM with your coach's details. It might fit into what we'd like in our next coach.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:56 AM   #12

Really nice looking Magna.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #13

bamaboy - We have a 2002 Affinity. We have had it since 2009. We really like ours and have no plans to sell. We do have an all electric coach which we like. When we bought this coach we looked at lots of rigs and we liked this one the best out of maybe a dozen contenders. I loved this coaches stability on the road. It really goes down the road with a solid feeling and gives you a great sense of confidence. We also really like the floor plan and the look of the interior. We have a "Southwest" style interior with lots of stained glass and a special verde treatment on the wood.

We do have the 3 airs on the roof. That helps in very very hot weather. Other than that two is fine. One very good feature on our coach is front and back over the road AC. Meaning there are two "dash" airs, one in the dash and one under the back bed. Keeps the coach very cool going down the road.

I do not agree with Ross the Holiday Rambler poster at all. We looked at several rigs with 3 or 4 slides. Unless you have people over to your coach all the time and need room for say 10 playing cards I would recommend against more than 2 slides. Some of our friends bought a 2009 Holiday Rambler with 4 slides late last year. When you retract the 4 slides and travel it looks like a small cave inside. If you can find a coach with lots of slides or full wall ones that is useful when retracted fine. But many I have seen are not. Whereas ours when you want to have lunch all the interior except for two drawers in the back are fully accessible when the slides are in. Plus slides can very high maintenance. And are expensive to fix. And with the slides out the basement storage is very hard to get to. On ours no problem.

Last thing. Our 2002 has the C12 505 hp CAT. A very good motor. No issues. Ours have 125,000 miles on it. It has so many miles because the previous owner and I really like driving the thing. Coaches with low miles you have to wonder if the reason for low miles is because it was not fun to drive or hard to drive.

We like Country Coaches. Very good quality.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

Well, I don't know about that! I would rather have a Prevost with one or two slides than some of the others have four or more!