Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
2003 C12 cooling temperatures

Hi all,

Help, I need some quick advise. I am evaluating a possible purchase. It is a 2004 Intrigue Ovation 505 with 62K miles and no service records. It has a Silver Leaf VMS 200 EL installed. The diagnostics on the VMS 200 shows error codes indicating very high coolant temps. The highest it reported was 239 degrees for two days. I have it at a cat service center now and he said the ECM was reporting no active problems and no stored codes. I believe the dealer has had the ECM codes cleared, but he did not know the coach had the VMS 200 installed. My question is: Running the engine at those temps, should I be concerned of other problems that may have been created. I told the cat service center to check everything possible on the engine. Am I being too paranoid?

Thanks,
Leon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
2003 C12 cooling temperatures

Hey Leon
You might get a better response if you try your post over in the Caterpillar Engines forum here at IRV2. The CAT Forum is a pretty well informed bunch of engine guys.
I have a CAT C12 but have never had a high temperature problem.

Luck,
Bob

Bigbluedog55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #3

I have a CAT C 12 and before I had the radiator cleaned mine got up to 217 twice. When it did that it beeped and I pulled over for a few minutes. I would be very worried if you are sure it got up to 239F. If you are not going to buy a good extended warranty I would not buy if you are sure the temps got that high.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1 View Post
Hi all,

Help, I need some quick advise. I am evaluating a possible purchase. It is a 2004 Intrigue Ovation 505 with 62K miles and no service records. It has a Silver Leaf VMS 200 EL installed. The diagnostics on the VMS 200 shows error codes indicating very high coolant temps. The highest it reported was 239 degrees for two days. I have it at a cat service center now and he said the ECM was reporting no active problems and no stored codes. I believe the dealer has had the ECM codes cleared, but he did not know the coach had the VMS 200 installed. My question is: Running the engine at those temps, should I be concerned of other problems that may have been created. I told the cat service center to check everything possible on the engine. Am I being too paranoid?

Thanks,
Leon
There are at least three different temp senders on this engine. The location of these will all have different readings. Many times at the end of the head is a port they used and this position will show a much higher number than what the coolant is. It was a c'mon problem. The correct position is closest to thermostat housing. Often we had to move the temp sensor. You probably don't have the issue you are thinking of. Most dealers smart enough to clear codes. Would recognize and clear the Silverleaf. At my dealership. I the only person in service that would know how to do this .

Tags
cooling