Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #1

We were on our way to Tucson for the New Year's Holiday when we noticed our exhaust brake light came on when foot off fuel and switch. Also step would not come in when switch on off and engine started with door shut. got to RV park in Tucson and slides would not come out,also outside temp and compass gauge not working.
called CC only to find out they were closed until 1-5-09. We tried to start for home,but ride level would not come up. check manual and all our problems were on ignition fuse #68. Changed fuse, but it blew out again. Went to Beaudry RV and stayed at Campground till they opened on 1-5-09. On 1-6-09 they said it was the "brain" and said it would cost over $900 plus new compass/temp gauge ($250) plus labor for a total of Approx $2300. Almost 2 weeks later we went to pick it up and were told a relay was out also. Total bill over $2700,but after talking with manager we got it down to $2260. CC was no help at all.Anyone else had trouble with the "brain"? We have the old part.
Jim Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #2

Hey Jim, I worked at county coach for over 5 years and I know the problem you are talking about. The HWH Brain in the steering bay goes bad even when we built them. I think I might be able to repair your old brain. If not I know a guy who can. I work up in Albany, Oregon now at a RV service center and they are just starting to service motor homes and I have been bringing in County Coaches to be worked on. Its nice cause we have the Blue Ox RV park right next door, and Junction City, where country coach is, is just a 25 min drive. Lassen RV, very reasonable rates. I ran the Cabinet shop area for 4 years and worked online for a year and a half. If interested drop me a line and I might be able to help. We have a full cabinet shop here, a great knowledgable staff, and one other person who was also a lead at CC is working here to. She does tile, mirrors, blinds, you name it. She was there for 14 years. Also, if your brain goes out again, I know a way to bypass the brain to at least get power to your coach. Drop me a line here or my email and I will see what I can do.
clb250ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #3

Hi clb250ford, Thanks for the response. We are leaving for Daytona Bike Week in Feb and are a little concerned about our motorhome. Everything seems to be working fine now and hope it continues. I made Beaudry RV give us back the old brain,but would not give us the bad relay,so don't know which relay it was. He told us it was a red wire going to the relay from inside the control panel with no ID on it.
we will be coming to Oregon sometime this summer even if CC does'nt have a reunion again. We would like to drop by and meet with you and your crew and possibly do some business with Lassen RV. We will bring the old brain with us. Thanks again, Jim and Donna Hayes 2003 Intrigue.
Jim Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #4

Jim and Donna,

That would be great if you dropped by. I will be around as long as my boss' want me around. I look forward to meeting you. Well, the relays on in the steering bay by the brain are all the same. There just standard Bosch relays and we would just grab them off the shelf and plug them in. The red wire he is talking about is just a power wire I believe. If you run into this problem again, There is 3 air compressor fittings under the front of the coach off to the side of the generator on the drivers side. The middle one is to air up your coach. So you will need an air compressor and a male nipple to screw in there. Plug in the air compressor hose, open the valve, and your coach will air up. To run the rooms you will have to find the white plug in the steering bay marked hwh 1. It should have 9 or 12 wires in it. If you take a hot wire with an alligator clip on one end and attach it to the starter selenoid in the battery bay. then with the other end, strip it down and on the back side of the plug while its still plug in, force the hot wire in the middle wire on the back side of the plug. Have your ignition key on and your slide room operation keys on. You should see the red light on the brain kick on and you will have slide room power. I hope this helps, its been about 7 months since I worked on a country coach. We do high end 5th wheels all the way down to tent trailers. Now we have been gettin in some Monacos, which are no where the quality as a CC, and one or two CC's stop by. I look forward to Seein you, stay in touch.
clb250ford is offline   Reply With Quote