Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #1

2003 Lexa vs. 2006 Magna

Both are outstanding coaches.

Both are comparable in pricing.

Both are comparable in size: 42' and 45'. At least in our way of thinking.

Both are equipment comparably.

Both are gorgeous!!!

And yes, both layouts and slide-out suit our needs, wants and desires quite well.

But... One is 3 years newer than the other.

So my question posed to the current and past owners of these coaches:
1. Considering those years, were there sufficient upgrades to the Magna to warrant it over the Lena
2. Is the Lexa SOOOOOOO outstanding that a 2003 would be a better choice in:
-----a. Looks
-----b. Value
-----c. Equipment
-----d. Ride, then the 2006 Magna
3. What considerations/prior problems have plagued either of these two coaches specifically
4. One has a C13 and one the C15 Cat

I'm sure that there are many additional considerations. But I don't know what they are yet. Please advise.

Thanks
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Think I'll watch this one as we just got out rig in Feb. and never really looked other models.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #3

The Lexa are unique, and very few and far between. So if that is plus in your book, add a check mark!

The Magna, is the second from the top dog, of the normal CC lineup, with the Affinity usually being 'at the top' in most model years' (Toss in a Rhapsody into some years, as with the Lexa, as being the 'top dog'.). The Magna is a well built, and well optioned high end top of the food chain coach, regardless of brand. So nothing to sneeze at!

A few thoughts on the specific model years and coaches:
- I feel the 2003 CC's, were overall better built coaches then the 2006 you mentioned. National had more influence on the 2006, the the 2003, and to me, that was a negative.

-Some C15's were paired with the CAT Automatic. Not sure if the 2006 had that as an option. But I personally would confirm that the Magna had the Allison 4000, vs CAT automatic.

-While I preferred the well sorted out and mature C12's of 2003. The C13, should have significantly less 'smog stuff' on it then the C15. I would prefer it, between these two.

-I also prefer the 42' over the 45'. Many states you can drive it without a Class B Non Commercial Drivers License.

If documented care, and condition, were equal between the two coaches in question. And as you mentioned, you like both of the floor plans. Then I personally would go for the 2003, even if it were the Manga vs the Lexa - primarily from my opinion of better build in those days, and, less smog on the engines. I see it as being a bonus that it is a Lexa, and that you like it, as it is for sure very unique. (Sort of like the very limited Concepts of he 90's. Neat to see, neat to own - and very few and far apart!

That, is my thoughts! And I wish you luck on your decision,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #4

Seems there were not as many built but being top dog price limits qty so nothing wrong there.

Lexa has more flash and bling so personal taste is judge there.

The electronics and other goodies may give concern for later support so some Google searches may be in order just to see if there were any silly stupid things with them.

Off track but could apply...awhile back someone had a different brand upper end coach with central control system that failed and no parts available and they were stuck.

Not heard of any such issue with any CC product but it seems Lexa had a lot of added options that could be issue.

Not sure if any Lexa folks here but if all looked good the Lexa would be the pick.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

The Lexa was/is a electronic nightmare. I ran into a guy in Mexico that got a heck of a deal on a Lexa because it was full of electronic bugs that no one could figure out. He was a retired electronic engineer so his hobby was fixing the coach and he thought it was fun.

The Lexa is a stunning looking coach but I would have to go with the Magna in this case
Old 11-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The Lexa was/is a electronic nightmare. I ran into a guy in Mexico that got a heck of a deal on a Lexa because it was full of electronic bugs that no one could figure out. He was a retired electronic engineer so his hobby was fixing the coach and he thought it was fun.

The Lexa is a stunning looking coach but I would have to go with the Magna in this case

I would agree with this conclusion.

There is a reason so few Lexa were sold.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After having our rig for a little over 8 months and looking at the complexity of the electronics and where they stashed all the components I'm not sure the Lexa is any more complicated although to be truthful I've never looked at one closely.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #8

The Lexa had some features that were incorporated into the 2005 Affinity, like the flush windows; in effect, the 2005 Affinity became the evolution on the Lexa. The Lexa has the pre-emission engine without the EGR that came on the 2005 coaches--which is why Cat increased the size of the C-12 by a liter. The C-15 pulls 515 hp from the engine vs. 525 hp from the C-13, so the engine is less stressed, but it is also a lot heavier--to the tune of 800 lbs., if I remember correctly. The Lexa will have the glass dash, which is expensive to replace ($10,000). Which coach will work best for you? If they are both in good shape mechanically, get the coach that speaks best to you!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
SilverLeaf has been able to reduce the price of the glass dash to somewhere around $6000 the last I heard from them (Phoenix Good Sam rally) in March.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #10

Just a note on the glass dash. Silver Leaf has just cut the price on those by 50%. Sorry I can't help you with any other information or opinions. Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
The Lexa had some features that were incorporated into the 2005 Affinity, like the flush windows; in effect, the 2005 Affinity became the evolution on the Lexa. The Lexa has the pre-emission engine without the EGR that came on the 2005 coaches--which is why Cat increased the size of the C-12 by a liter. The C-15 pulls 515 hp from the engine vs. 525 hp from the C-13, so the engine is less stressed, but it is also a lot heavier--to the tune of 800 lbs., if I remember correctly. The Lexa will have the glass dash, which is expensive to replace ($10,000). Which coach will work best for you? If they are both in good shape mechanically, get the coach that speaks best to you!
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #11

Just for fun - We bought our coach 6 1/2 years ago because my wife and I both loved the interior layout and style of it. Ours has a southwest style. I assume that between these two coaches neither "speaks" to you like that. If it were me getting out my check book here is the way I would do it. Again, assuming neither just says "buy me" to you.

1. Buy the specific "reports" from the RVCG on each coach. These are inexpensive and are very general. However, we used the information when we were looking and found it to be accurate.

2. Condition means a lot even in a coach that is only 9 years old. So I would be swayed to buy the one in the best condition with the most complete records.

3. Drive them both. If one handles a lot better than the other that would be a big influence on me.

4. We have a 42' coach. I would never buy one larger than ours. As it is some places we want to park are tight.

5. We have a C12, which has been a good motor so far. I would have both motors checked by CAT before buying. Or you can get a policy of extended warranty.

6. Windows. We like being able to slide our windows open. If either or both of these coaches have limited ability to be opened you should decide if that is OK with you.

7. We spend part of the year about an hour south of you. If you buy one of these coaches and need information on places to get service on them in the San Diego area send me a PM and I would be glad to help you.

8. We love our CC. We are using it this weekend over at a chuck wagon event in Chandler AZ.

9. To me one of the greatest things about our CC is that I love driving it and that it is a wonderful thing to own and use after 13 years and 127,000 miles. One of my close friends who is parked next to me right now has a slightly over a year old 40' coach. I think the maker of that coach is the biggest seller of class A motorhomes in the USA right now. About six months ago I was parked next to him at another rally and he looked over at our Affinity and said, "Why does your 12 year old coach look better than my 10 moth old coach?" He also had to have all of his faux leather upholstery redone (under warranty) a couple of months ago because the low cost material started coming apart. Country Coach makes very good coaches and uses good materials.

10. We have had work done at the Country Coach factory a number of times. They do very good work at a fair price. They are very helpful getting parts.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #12

BTW,
I have a copy of the 2003 CC Lexa brochure. I have the specs copied on the CC owners Yahoo web site under the files section.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Just for fun - We bought our coach 6 1/2 years ago because my wife and I both loved the interior layout and style of it. Ours has a southwest style. I assume that between these two coaches neither "speaks" to you like that. If it were me getting out my check book here is the way I would do it. Again, assuming neither just says "buy me" to you.

1. Buy the specific "reports" from the RVCG on each coach. These are inexpensive and are very general. However, we used the information when we were looking and found it to be accurate.

2. Condition means a lot even in a coach that is only 9 years old. So I would be swayed to buy the one in the best condition with the most complete records.

3. Drive them both. If one handles a lot better than the other that would be a big influence on me.

4. We have a 42' coach. I would never buy one larger than ours. As it is some places we want to park are tight.

5. We have a C12, which has been a good motor so far. I would have both motors checked by CAT before buying. Or you can get a policy of extended warranty.

6. Windows. We like being able to slide our windows open. If either or both of these coaches have limited ability to be opened you should decide if that is OK with you.

7. We spend part of the year about an hour south of you. If you buy one of these coaches and need information on places to get service on them in the San Diego area send me a PM and I would be glad to help you.

8. We love our CC. We are using it this weekend over at a chuck wagon event in Chandler AZ.

9. To me one of the greatest things about our CC is that I love driving it and that it is a wonderful thing to own and use after 13 years and 127,000 miles. One of my close friends who is parked next to me right now has a slightly over a year old 40' coach. I think the maker of that coach is the biggest seller of class A motorhomes in the USA right now. About six months ago I was parked next to him at another rally and he looked over at our Affinity and said, "Why does your 12 year old coach look better than my 10 moth old coach?" He also had to have all of his faux leather upholstery redone (under warranty) a couple of months ago because the low cost material started coming apart. Country Coach makes very good coaches and uses good materials.

10. We have had work done at the Country Coach factory a number of times. They do very good work at a fair price. They are very helpful getting parts.
If we get closer to buying a CC, I'll take you up on that conversation.

Thanks
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #14

I think the very best reference site for model & year differences for all Country Coach models is Damon Rapoza's ~ a long time CC sales person. Yes, he even lists the Lexa.

His information can be found here: Model History | Damon Rapozo

I'd personally vote for Magna!

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote