Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #1

2004 38' Intrigue Suite Escape Question

THIS IS MY FIRST POST HERE...

Linda and I are researching our options for the purchase of our first motor coach, some time in 2012.

I recently ran across a couple of 2004 38' Intrigue Suite Escapes on the used market. This is the only 38' coach that I have seen with a tag axle. I would imagine these things must drive like a dream. What's the story on this particular model? Why the tag axle on a relatively short coach? What's the "good, bad and ugly" about this model?

I have an EXCELLENT heated storage space lined for our coach, with unlimited in/out privileges. It's only limitation is that I don't have quite enough room for a 40' coach. But a 38-footer will fit just fine. Consequently I am very interested in learning a little more about this unique model.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Rich

Don't know much about the specific coach, but if you need real info on the model year have a look at
Model History | Damon Rapozo

Damon has a great web site and you can call him with any questions.

Luck,
Bob

Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #3

Damon Rapozo...there's a new educational resource for me. He has an interesting web site.

Thanks for the link, Bob.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #4

Bob, I don't know about the model you are lookong at but I have the CC Allure, Sunset Bay model.It is 38 feet and rides/drives great. They are built very heavy thus the need for the tag. Good luck Bill
Old 11-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #5

A few thoughts to consider on tag vs non tag advantages:
Pro
-More CCC
-Tighter turning radius
-Extra set of brakes
-Usually more stable on the road
-Cool factor - they just look cool!

Con
-One more set of tires/brakes/shocks to maintain
-One less storage area (38' vs 40' - be sure you conisder the storage)
-Usually more expensive at purchase

At 38', most DP's can get by without a tag, and still have adequate CCC. If this coach is clean, and has good records, and meets both of what you want on the layout. Then you may have the right coach! No down side to this particular CC Intrigue - it's a well thought of coach.

Best of luck on your hunting,
Smitty
Old 11-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
CC started putting tags on everything 38ft and above sometime in late '01. My '02 Intrigue was one of the last 40ft coaches that was not a tag. Due to the weight on the rear end, CC started using tags which is not a bad thing.

Smitty pretty much covered everything. There is nothing wrong with the coach you are looking at other than the fact that it isn't yours.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #7

I was at the Chula Vista RV resort this past week and one of those 2004 38' Intrigue Escapes was parked right next to my 2004 intrigue ovation. Definately had the cool factor going on with the tag axel. They gave me a tour of their coach so I could see what was different with this coach verses my 42 footer.

One less slide in the living room area, generator mounted on the drivers side behind the front wheel and not in the front. A foot shorter behind the drivers seat, a foot shorter in the bathroom, and a foot or two shorter in the bedroom. Nice lay out though.

I echo what Smitty had to say about the pro's, More brakes if you are towing something, probably excels on steering through some brisk sidewinds going down the freeway, less cargo capacity which is big in my book.

I would not worry about the extra set of tires and brakes though. You get 70,000 miles out of the tires anyway or until the rubber goes bad. If you use your jake brake as much as possible, you probably will never need to replace your brakes during ownership. I use my Jake brakes all the time right up to the stop sign by dropping gears to keep the rpm high enough to have the engine slow down my rig.

The only thing that would make this a better coach would be to have a c12 cat engine in it. The one I saw had a ILS 400 cummins which is great for this rig but a C12 has 3 real jake brakes and not the exhaust brakes and it would make this rig climb any grade at speed without using more fuel due to the lower RPM's required to maximize torque.

Dallas
Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
ISL 400's USUALLY have a two stage engine brake, not an exhaust brake although the 370 ISL can come either way depending on what the manufacturer ordered.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #9

A Big Cat in a 38' CC - I can hear Tim Allen grunting now!

I think most of the ISL's in the CC line, came with the Two Stage Compression Jake's. Our 2004 ISL 370, has this.

I get along pretty well 95+% of the time with our ISL in the 40' Allure. So, that engine in a 38' should get you all the way up to 99%+.

Best,
Smitty
Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #10

Smitty,

the only downside I see to the c12 is that for the extra 4% (according to your scale), I could end up replacing my drive tires 4% sooner (according to my numbers, using your numbers) passing on hills towing a toad doing the speed limit.

Otherwise it is just 4% cooler to have a C12

D