Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

2004 country coach intrigue roof

The coach we are buying has white coming off the roof, running down the sides. It has been sitting on the consignment lot for 1 1/2 years, (had been asking too much money) and I am wondering why this would happen to the fiberglas top. Has anybody seen this before and what does it mean? Right now we have a deposit on the coach, but before we finalize the deal I want to know as much as I can. I looked at the top and it appears white, flat and chalky, and I want to know if I can polish it to bring back a finish, then seal it, and stop this from happening. Thank you very much for any help you can provide. Jerry & Phyllis
ja63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Country Coach Intrigue is a great coach.

It's true that white chalky streaks are generally associated with rubber roofs, but fiberglass roofs will do this too. I have a fg roof on my Camelot and I have to deal with some of those chalky white streaks.

There was a thread here recently on this situation but I can't find it right now. As I recall, one of the solutions advanced was that you can coat the roof once a year or so with Mop and Glow to contain this problem. Others were advising to use 303 Aerospace Protectorate. I think any kind of quality coating product will likely serve to solve the problem and IMHO it would not impact my decision to buy the coach as long as the roof is otherwise in good shape.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #3

Thank you, we thought that, but wondered what others have used.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #4

I read on another board about Bus-Kote. Besides helping on the white run off down the sides, it does cooling and a bit of insulating from the rain/hail too. I've added it to my list of things to work on over the next few years. Will put on my 04 Allure in the future. Our coach was just starting to become a problem when we got it 6 months ago. A good washing (Dawn and a stiff brush), the 303, seems to have got it back under control for now. Below is a cut and paste of some info on the roof coatings.
Good luck,
Smitty

Bus-Kote is a bight white, acrylic elastomeric, insulating ceramic, waterproof coating designed specifically for Buses and recreational vehicles. This high build rubber like coating waterproofs, insulates, soundproofs, beautifies and protects with a ceramic shield that expands and contracts with varying hot and cold temperatures plus resists thermal shock. Bus-Kote offers superior mildew resistance and ultraviolet ray reflectivity.
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Country Coach recommended applying 303 to the roof twice a year.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #6

Thank you Smitty. I knew there was a specific product. Appreciate your input. Jerry&Phyllis
Old 10-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #7

Thank you Dean. As I've said, the coach has been sitting on a consignment lot for 1 1/2 years, with nothing done. Once we get it, that will be our first task. Jerry&Phyllis