Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #1

2005 40' any road handling issues?

New to the rv world going full time. Looking at buying 2005 CC. 40' Allure 400 cat 30,000 mi. Looks like a great M H. Wondering what issues I sould know about.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #2

It would help if you told us which model you're looking at.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #3

#2 Post - Delayed by one welcome!

I find our 40' Allure to handle quite well. Ours was built in 2003, though it is a 2004 model, so their are differences between our coaches. I think two come to mind in regards to handling:
-We had drum brakes, and I think the 2005 model have disc, so that to me is a bit better on the braking capacity.
-I think Koni came out with the second generation of the adjustable shocks just about that time. So you have a good chance of have the SP2 vs my coach came OEM with the SP1 generation. The SP1 was fine for the rear tag and drive, though I did set mine to level 3. But even on level 5, the SP1 was overwhelmed by the front IFS and coach weight. SP2 should be a bit better, but could also be challenged by the front demands. (Kong advised CC not to use that shock on the coach. But then National owned management insisted that they wanted a softer like ride, and so CC was directed to use that specific shock.)

One other possible difference, and I apologize as I just am not familiar with the CAT400 in that application. Is the Cummins ISL in the Allure, had a 2 Stage Jake Compression Brake. If the CAT400/C9 has Exhaust Brake instead, that would somewhat offset the braking capacity down hill.

As with any coach, get it ready to travel, and a 'four corner weight' and set the tire PSI per the Tire Manufactures PSI Charts. (Many of us add about 10% or 5PSI, whichever is greater. And I personally just for ease of remembering, then round up to the next '0' or '5' (100 vs 98, 105 vs 103, etc.)

Also not sure if that era had the aluminum radiator problematic unit or not. But even it it does, if it still OEM, chances are it will be OK.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy,
Smitty
Old 08-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Smitty know these coaches better than I do, here's what my owners manual says about tire pressure.
Quote:
Tire Industry Changes
The tire industry, as a whole, has changed its traditional stance on adjusting cold tire inflation pressure for RV tires installed on recreational vehicles and busses. Previously, tire manufacturers supported a policy where tire inflation could be adjusted according to the actual loaded weight of the vehicle. Now, the major tire manufacturers recommend that medium duty truck tires be maintained at the pressure that corresponds to the Gross Axle Weight Rating for the axle to which they are mounted. To make this recommendation uniform across the industry, tire manufacturers strongly urge the consumer to keep all tires inflated to the pressures recorded on the Federal Tire Label.

Tire Inflation
Country Coach recommends that the cold tire inflation pressures should at all times be maintained at the inflation pressure(s) recorded on the Federal Tire Label. There are no acceptable circumstances where tire inflation pressure(s) should be reduced below that pressure recorded on the Federal Tire Label.
However, even so I set mine by the Michelin charts + 5 psi. Sometimes my SmarTire TPMS doens't like that and gives me an overpressure alarm though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37driver View Post
It would help if you told us which model you're looking at.
Sorry, guess it could have been worded a little friendlier.

We have a 2005 42' Allure and have been pleased with it although we have had some issues. As with any motorhome that's eleven years old, there will always be issues. I would urge you to spend the money on a professional inspection, it could save you some headaches. We had previously owned a gas coach and I wrongly assumed that I could find any problems with a diesel coach. You need to know what's wrong with it and what needs servicing/replacement to help you in negotiating the purchase price. If a dealer has it, I would find an independent party to do the inspection.

As with any coach the condition and age of the tires and batteries are important, both very expensive to replace, especially if dealing with AGM batteries.

If equipped with a HydroHot system, have it checked by someone who services them on a regular basis. They can be very expensive to repair.

These are the items you should look at specifically on this particular Allure.

The 2005 did have the aluminum radiator which will eventually crack and leak due to poor construction and being hard mounted to a steel frame. Check if it's been replaced. My replacement cost was $8400.00.

It also came with a dry PTO on the transmission to drive the power steering pump and radiator fan. Depending on how much grease was used on the output shaft when installed, it may or may not fail. It should be removed, inspected and greased regularly. Retrofitting to a wet lube is about $600.00.

The generator uses two drive belts which will fail with age. See if they have been replaced. They failed on my Onan 10KW and due to the slide design, the generator had to be removed to gain access to the rear of the generator where the belts are located.

It should have Carefree Eclipse awnings which incorporates a combination slide topper and window awning. It's a poor design. The window awnings are pulled down over the windows with a strap after the slideout has been extended. The straps on ours regularly became wrapped up in the slide topper as it retracted causing either the slide topper not to roll up when retracted or worse, the slide topper to jam when extending the slide, which bends the daylights out of the awning brackets and puts tremendous stress on the slideout. I just removed the straps and don't use the window awnings. The slide topper material is acrylic and will shrink over time. If it doesn't extend at least a couple of inches over each end of the slideout roof, water will dump onto the roof, which brings us to the next point.

Check for water intrusion. The slideout roofs will leak if not maintained. There is a seam on the outer edge of the roof that runs the length of the slideout. The factory sealed it with Sikoflex, a flexible type of caulk which will eventually fail. Instead of resealing it with Sikoflex, I had it peeled up and the seam sealed with Eternabond tape, no more leak. If water is dumping onto the roof due to shrunken slide toppers, it will run down the ends of the slideouts finding any opening, sometimes around the windows and almost always in the joints between the sides and bottom of the slideout. The joints need to be checked and caulked if needed on a regular basis, an easy job. Over time water will do a tremendous amount of damage. This is where you need a competent inspector as leak damage is easily covered up. I was lucky, my water leaks weren't there long enough to do damage.

Overall, it's a nicely built motorhome. We purchased it with the idea that we would have to spend more money on it for tires and upgrading the interior, so we found one and negotiated the purchase price accordingly. I also knew that the radiator was an issue. For that reason I purchased a service contract through Wholesale Warranties. People on the forum have varying opinions on service contracts, but mine has paid off handsomely, covering a replacement radiator and a few thousand more in other repairs.

I hope this isn't discouraging you about the Allure, it's not meant to. Any used motorhome will have warts. As far as I'm concerned, a Country Coach is a great value and still one of the better built coaches out there. You just need to know what you're getting into.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #6

37Driver - Great tips on the PTO and double checking that the sikoflex joints remain sound. And especially on the top where the seams are not seen, Eternabond is a onetime fix!

I do wonder if being a CAT400/C9 vs ISL like we have, if some things like the PTO and or radiator might be different? I have not idea about 'why', but my CAPS era ISL does not have a PTO, and my radiator was not one of the suspect ones. (Pure luck on my part...) So maybe he'll get lucky too.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty