Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
2006 Inspire Country Coach Need new alternator fast

We are on our way to Keys and are grounded in Naples with a bad alternator. Our coach has 19,000 miles. Roadside mechanic says we need a new one. Can we recharge the chassis battery from the generator to get us to our destination without a replacement? We are already 3 days late for a reservation. We can't find a model number so if we need a new one, what do we order and from who? Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

Yes, just run your generator while under way. Many of us have done this for many miles. I suggest that you do this until you return home so that you can perform the replacement on your own time schedule.

gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:51 PM   #3

Yup, I did that all across the US. Just watch your voltage meter and when it gets down to 12VDC, crank up the genny and charge up the chassis battery. You can shut the genny down and repeat the process.

Getting the alternator rebuilt is way cheaper that buying a new one and you will wind up with a better generator.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Yup, I did that all across the US. Just watch your voltage meter and when it gets down to 12VDC, crank up the genny and charge up the chassis battery. You can shut the genny down and repeat the process.

Getting the alternator rebuilt is way cheaper that buying a new one and you will wind up with a better generator.
I agree with running the generator. We did this most of the summer till we got home.
I disagree with the rebuild. You can buy an OEM brand new one for around $300. Why take a chance on the old one going south again. To each his own.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

On my rig, I tied the positive terminal of the house and chassis battery together with a jumper cable and then ran the generator.

My generator did not charge the chassis battery and, of course, the alternator was gone.

Your rig may be different.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
So the answer is yes and no....

If CC wired it so it will work...YES...will go a long ways.

Easy to check... Check chassis batts for voltage, Start generator wait for it to connect, start the engine, check chassis batts again for voltage, Noticeably higher?? You are good to go...assuming that the alternator failure is not bearings...look and listen for squealing/rattles.

A good rebuild at a reputable shop will usually be a lot less $$ especially if it is a 200 amp alternator.

Enjoy the Keys.

BTW I ran Atlanta to Elkhart last summer on solar (600watts) until the sun went down then continued on generator.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

You should be good to go and suspect your chassis battery is charged by the generator too. If not, then the auxiliary battery boost switch will get you started.

If your're going to be in the Key's for a period of time, network on a mobile mechanic. I see two options for you on which way to go:

1) Call Kevin Waite and work with him on getting a replacement alternator. New or rebuilt, your call.

2) Florida has some reputable RV shops, and they (as well as IRV2 board if you post follow up questions) should be able to source you a quality shop for rebuild. A quality rebuild, will probably be a less expensive way to go. Key word here is 'quality' - thus the importance to network with RV shops (say Lazy Days) and board members for referrals.

You could have the mobile mechanic remove it, ship it off for rebuild and return, then have it reinstalled - if you are in the Keys long enough.

If not, then concur that no problem running for long distances with the generator running. Or, if you have a robust Solar Panel (We too have enough SP power to run down the road with no alternator.) system, this should cover you during the day.

Best to you, and have a good time in the Key's. I'm a genuine Conch, born at the Key West Navy Hospital in 1953.... Sure wish my parents had kept their 2BD 1BA bungalow style home!!! Enjoy the sunset, and the show....
Smitty
Old 01-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #8

I replaced my Leece Neville with a Delco. Much better product. The original was a 160 amp but I replaced it with a 180 amp. The 160 is very inexpensive! My voltage is much more stable since installing the Delco about 18,000 mile ago. Here's a little info from my 2007 Inspire.
Leece Neville

Also some info on the 180 amp Delco.
8600311 by DELCO REMY - PART

And the 160 amp Delco.
8600308 by DELCO REMY - PART

Good luck,
Old 01-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #9

Thank you to all for the help with the alternator

Many thanks for all of the good information. I can't thank you enough!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #10

Thank you! Very helpful.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #11

fyi - my chassis battery gets charged from shore, genny and alternator, in the matter of fact i believe it gets charged from coach batteries. my solar is connected to coach batteries directly, when coach batteries are full, chassis battery is always full.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
fyi - my chassis battery gets charged from shore, genny and alternator, in the matter of fact i believe it gets charged from coach batteries. my solar is connected to coach batteries directly, when coach batteries are full, chassis battery is always full.
Yes, your chassis battery gets charged from the house batteries. You have an Echo Charger and when the chassis battery is about a volt less than the house batteries, it will turn on and charge the chassis battery
Old 01-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Yes, your chassis battery gets charged from the house batteries. You have an Echo Charger and when the chassis battery is about a volt less than the house batteries, it will turn on and charge the chassis battery
thanks don. that explains what's been in my mind for all those years

Tags
alternator