Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 48
2007 425 CAT Engines

Morning,
I have the engine above in my 2008 CC. It has the new DPF system installed. This is before CAT got out of the on road engine business. I find the exhaust from the muffler that goes back into the engine cooler was installed hap hazard. It pipe runs under the oil pan and continually gets dragged on the road when entering and or leaving areas of the roads that have a dip. I know that it should be routed a different way to insure this does not keep happening. I just do not know how the should of or did do it. When I first bough the RV the exhaust pipe did not go through the side panel like most of the CC of this era did. The sometimes very hot, because of the DPF burning off the particulates, exhaust was going against the inside wall of the RV. This was found as the exterior paint was darkening. I was able to adjust the exhaust pipe so that it would no longer exhaust on the wall but like the other pipe when exiting and or entering areas with a dip the exhaust pipe will drag and will again push the pipe up. This can create a very dangerous fire hazard for the occupants that might be unaware of this kind of issue.
Looking on line for parts for my RV I have seen CC in used part lots that have been burned in the rear of the coach and now know why I think this has happened to them. Does any CC owners have any advice for this issue?

Thank you Frank
__________________

__________________
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,243
Hi Frank! Welcome to IRV2! We're glad you joined the gang here!

Sorry I can't help with your questions. Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Community Administrator
 
JohnRR's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marquette, Michigan "Da UP"
Posts: 16,939

Good luck with a solution.
__________________
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 14 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
pops2's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Posts: 435
You may want to contact CC @
Country Coach Corporation - Motorhome Factory, Service Center, RV Parts
they will help you rectify your problem either by telling you what to do or if you want to go to Oregon they may repair it for you.
__________________
Lyle 'n' Sherry 'n' Muffin ( Shih Tzu x) drive a 1999 National RV Tradewind 7370 with a 2005 Kia Sedona on an Automatic car dolly
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 6,295
Welcome and glad to meet you!
__________________
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 48
Yep to you all and thanks.
__________________
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tankcj's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGAXLE View Post
Morning,
I have the engine above in my 2008 CC. It has the new DPF system installed. This is before CAT got out of the on road engine business. I find the exhaust from the muffler that goes back into the engine cooler was installed hap hazard. It pipe runs under the oil pan and continually gets dragged on the road when entering and or leaving areas of the roads that have a dip. I know that it should be routed a different way to insure this does not keep happening. I just do not know how the should of or did do it. When I first bough the RV the exhaust pipe did not go through the side panel like most of the CC of this era did. The sometimes very hot, because of the DPF burning off the particulates, exhaust was going against the inside wall of the RV. This was found as the exterior paint was darkening. I was able to adjust the exhaust pipe so that it would no longer exhaust on the wall but like the other pipe when exiting and or entering areas with a dip the exhaust pipe will drag and will again push the pipe up. This can create a very dangerous fire hazard for the occupants that might be unaware of this kind of issue.
Looking on line for parts for my RV I have seen CC in used part lots that have been burned in the rear of the coach and now know why I think this has happened to them. Does any CC owners have any advice for this issue?

Thank you Frank
I have a Beaver but does yours look like this? Mine never drags. The trailer hitch ball nut and shaft usually drags first if I don't raise the suspension. Or maybe mine is tucked up a little further than yours? I would suspect they are similar though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clean undercarriage 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	80810  
__________________
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat
2011 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4WD
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
smlranger's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 7,261
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I have a Beaver but does yours look like this? Mine never drags. The trailer hitch ball nut and shaft usually drags first if I don't raise the suspension. Or maybe mine is tucked up a little further than yours? I would suspect they are similar though.
Wow, have you been under there cleaning and painting on that engine and frame? That looks like the underbelly of one of the fire trucks we had prepped before a parade and competition when I was in a VFD many years ago.
__________________
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
tankcj's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Wow, have you been under there cleaning and painting on that engine and frame? That looks like the underbelly of one of the fire trucks we had prepped before a parade and competition when I was in a VFD many years ago.
LOL!...thanks but I can't take all the credit.......simple green...lots of simple green and it only had 9300 miles when we bought it last December so there isn't much road grime.
__________________
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat
2011 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4WD
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 48
Yes it does look similar to yours except it goes under the pan while yours is tucked up in there between the pan and transmission or is it the one that is under the pan? Mine is in three pieces and goes under the deep part of the pan. Mine also has the CAT transmission, C28 I think is the model, CRS you know. To put oil in the transmission when the indicator on the shift pad says to, you have to crawl under the coach and remove the trans. plug and try and pour the oil in it. Hope there are no engineers listening when I say what engineer thought of that one? man even my grandson who is 13 years old could of figured to put a fill tube in it. CAT does not even sell one for it. I know WAAA, WAAA, WAAA. So how is your engine running with the DPF system? Does your DPF light come on often? As usual when we bought this coach the dealer did not even know how to train me on how to run this thing. Trial and error found me beside the road doing a manual regen until I learned to drive with the engine brake off, says to do that in the instructions. We bought this with 5000 miles on it and a first owner from Camping world in Mesa Arizona. M mmm keeping those comments to myself (-:. Well I definitely will not want to take it back to CC as they are the ones that screwed it up in the beginning. I now know why they went out of business. I have tried to get information from them on the heaters in the coach and also on the electrical strip for the heat pumps along with a price and it appeared to me that the shop lead was way to busy in his shop to answer and search for prices for me. Again their loss as they went out of business once and it could happen again with that kind of customer service. Thanks for your response tankcj and for listening to my crying, moaning and groaning. Happy Holidays to you. Tagaxle
__________________
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
 
smlranger's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 7,261
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGAXLE View Post
Yes it does look similar to yours except it goes under the pan while yours is tucked up in there between the pan and transmission or is it the one that is under the pan? Mine is in three pieces and goes under the deep part of the pan. Mine also has the CAT transmission, C28 I think is the model, CRS you know. To put oil in the transmission when the indicator on the shift pad says to, you have to crawl under the coach and remove the trans. plug and try and pour the oil in it. Hope there are no engineers listening when I say what engineer thought of that one? man even my grandson who is 13 years old could of figured to put a fill tube in it. CAT does not even sell one for it. I know WAAA, WAAA, WAAA. So how is your engine running with the DPF system? Does your DPF light come on often? As usual when we bought this coach the dealer did not even know how to train me on how to run this thing. Trial and error found me beside the road doing a manual regen until I learned to drive with the engine brake off, says to do that in the instructions. We bought this with 5000 miles on it and a first owner from Camping world in Mesa Arizona. M mmm keeping those comments to myself (-:. Well I definitely will not want to take it back to CC as they are the ones that screwed it up in the beginning. I now know why they went out of business. I have tried to get information from them on the heaters in the coach and also on the electrical strip for the heat pumps along with a price and it appeared to me that the shop lead was way to busy in his shop to answer and search for prices for me. Again their loss as they went out of business once and it could happen again with that kind of customer service. Thanks for your response tankcj and for listening to my crying, moaning and groaning. Happy Holidays to you. Tagaxle
Sorry you had an unsatisfactory experience with CC. Many of us have been more than satisfied with the support we have received. Remember that the new Country Coach Corporation is not the original company but a new company started up by one of the original CC owners and former CC employees. I have talked to Gregg Bootes there on several occasions and have always gotten reliable technical support and info on parts.

If you post your coach model info in your signature, there are folks here than can help you with many of your questions about your heat pumps (the roof AC units are truly heat pumps and not just AC units with heat strips) and the heat exchangers for your Aqua Hot (assuming those are the heaters you refer to). I've had most of my heat exchangers out to replace the fans so I may be able to answer questions on those.

Just as an FYI, Country Coach was bought by National RV in the years prior to their closing. There are folks who feel that decisions made by National, not the original CC owners, contributed heavily to their closing.

Happy Holidays to you.
__________________
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
tankcj's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGAXLE View Post
Yes it does look similar to yours except it goes under the pan while yours is tucked up in there between the pan and transmission or is it the one that is under the pan? Mine is in three pieces and goes under the deep part of the pan. Mine also has the CAT transmission, C28 I think is the model, CRS you know. To put oil in the transmission when the indicator on the shift pad says to, you have to crawl under the coach and remove the trans. plug and try and pour the oil in it. Hope there are no engineers listening when I say what engineer thought of that one? man even my grandson who is 13 years old could of figured to put a fill tube in it. CAT does not even sell one for it. I know WAAA, WAAA, WAAA. So how is your engine running with the DPF system? Does your DPF light come on often? As usual when we bought this coach the dealer did not even know how to train me on how to run this thing. Trial and error found me beside the road doing a manual regen until I learned to drive with the engine brake off, says to do that in the instructions. We bought this with 5000 miles on it and a first owner from Camping world in Mesa Arizona. M mmm keeping those comments to myself (-:. Well I definitely will not want to take it back to CC as they are the ones that screwed it up in the beginning. I now know why they went out of business. I have tried to get information from them on the heaters in the coach and also on the electrical strip for the heat pumps along with a price and it appeared to me that the shop lead was way to busy in his shop to answer and search for prices for me. Again their loss as they went out of business once and it could happen again with that kind of customer service. Thanks for your response tankcj and for listening to my crying, moaning and groaning. Happy Holidays to you. Tagaxle
No, never but I've only put about ~3k miles on it since we bought it. The only thing I notice is that around town, the HEST (High Exhaust System Temperature) Lamp will come on when I stop at a light but then goes off when under way.
__________________
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat
2011 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4WD
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 48
My light has come on before also but on the road on the way back from Arizona. That is where my education started (-: I also have put on only about 3000 miles. Have you read up on the CAT regeneration process? You really should as it will save you a lot of headaches in the future. I have heard people talk about the urine process that they have on burning the particulates and they say it is real expensive to keep buying and filling up the tank. Do not know much about that process though. Sooner or later most all diesel engines are going to have to have them. Ca is heading that way and usually as CA goes the country seems to go. My engine is a 2007 C-9 and so far is getting around 5-6 miles to the gallon on a trip and that is keeping it at 55 miles ph. Above that the fuel seems to get sucked up pretty fast. My old CAT engine 3208 I think it was got about 7-8 miles to the gallon and that was 70 mph. The one before that was a Cummings and it got about the same. Miss those kind of mileage days. Oh well my choice. Thanks for getting back with me an sharing. Really appreciate it.


Frank
__________________
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 48
Well that is just my world that things happens like that. I do understand that they are heat pumps. However I also understand that below a certain temperature the pumps will not heat the colder air. Hence the reason for heat strips to add into the ac/heat pumps. That is what I understood that I could do. I read your conversion story and really liked the idea also as the frame work around these exchangers are very solid. The new ones I have found on line are plastic. Hydo hot has come out with new ones but did not put a lot of time into researching them yet. Did you have to remove them completely to do the exchange? I am almost retired and my wife and I have been doing this for around 11 years full time now. I have that it is better to do my own maintenance as I am fussy about work being done when I pay for it. This way if and when something screws up all I can do is blame me or my supervisor i.e. my wife (-:. We really enjoy the lifestyle and will continue into our retirement as long as possible. Thanks for comments.
Frank
__________________

__________________
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cat



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MPG on 2007 Tiffin Phaeton 350 Cat sjw2094 Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 3 11-24-2014 08:57 PM
2007 CAT C7 Oil questions mchero Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 24 11-08-2014 09:48 PM
Cat oil filter availability wagonmaster2 Caterpillar Engine Forum 10 10-26-2014 09:47 PM
Cummins to CAT starting question mchero Caterpillar Engine Forum 16 08-22-2014 10:10 AM
Engines and Exhaust Regulations - Post 2007 cucotx Class A Motorhome Discussions 4 04-10-2014 11:51 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.