Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #1

32' Country Coach

anyone have one??
can anyone answer a few questions>???

or reply the good and the bad with these coach's

what years did they make them?

whats the biggest motor they used..

how do they drive??

would a 10 year old one be worth buy'n

what are the know problems???

as always, thanks for any info

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I know that a few had the 400 ISL Cummins installed. I have driven one and it is a rocket.

Handling can be "squirreley" but can be fixed with proper alignment and tire pressure.

If you want one, they are very hard to come by and command higher prices than the larger Country Coaches of that era. Don't think about the purchase to long

They have no special problems that you wouldn't find in a coach of that age.

What special questions do you have?

Old 12-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #3

Short chassis compared to the house length is twitchier handling in theory than longer. I own a long wheelbase Country Coach and have never driven a 32' CC, so I cannot comment from experience. I did sit at a meeting with Ron Lee who until a couple weeks ago was the owner of Country Coach when he said about 3 years ago, "Those 32 footers were real twitchy handling".

If it were me I would go with 36' and over. Just four more feet but with that you get a better balance on the chassis length.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:10 PM   #4

Don - how the heck does "proper alignment and tire pressure" fix a short chassis? The short chassis vs house length is a fact of physics and that does not go away. When you have a long chassis and the resulting short front and rear overhangs that result from that you have shorter levers to move the coach around when the forces of truck wash or sidewinds come up. Also the longer chassis compared to house length means that when you turn the steering wheel left or right there is less force to overcome with the given tire patches.

After 52 years and 50 vehicles that I have owned this is not some classroom mental gymnastic for me but empirical evidence from my own personal experience.

In extreem cases or emergencies safety can be involved. Buying a short chassis coach involves risks not in longer chassis coaches and people should not pooh pooh it.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:10 PM   #5

i have a 26'r now v-10 6speed...

people say they are twitchy...

i had the 33' fleetwood with the 300 hp..

with a few mods I could let go of the wheel when the trucks pass'd

the freightliner chassis rode horrible on the ruffer roads and IMHO the f53 rides smoother...

that and it was grossly under powered..

i wonder what the wheel base is on the 32'r

I read some where where they said that the 2000 and newer had independent front suspension??
Old 12-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Don - how the heck does "proper alignment and tire pressure" fix a short chassis? The short chassis vs house length is a fact of physics and that does not go away. When you have a long chassis and the resulting short front and rear overhangs that result from that you have shorter levers to move the coach around when the forces of truck wash or sidewinds come up. Also the longer chassis compared to house length means that when you turn the steering wheel left or right there is less force to overcome with the given tire patches.

After 52 years and 50 vehicles that I have owned this is not some classroom mental gymnastic for me but empirical evidence from my own personal experience.

In extreem cases or emergencies safety can be involved. Buying a short chassis coach involves risks not in longer chassis coaches and people should not pooh pooh it.
so your say'n that a 32'r will handle way better than a ford van.....physic's
Old 12-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
so your say'n that a 32'r will handle way better than a ford van.....physic's
The difference is the van has a front-engine setup, in a rear diesel the engine/transmission is behind the rear axle. It's the difference in weight distribution that makes a 32-foot rear diesel a squirrely proposition. However, I have talked to an owner of a 32-foot CC, and he was not too concerned about it.
Some other issues are very limited outside storage, and you get the small 8 CF refrigerator.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
The difference is the van has a front-engine setup, in a rear diesel the engine/transmission is behind the rear axle. It's the difference in weight distribution that makes a 32-foot rear diesel a squirrely proposition. However, I have talked to an owner of a 32-foot CC, and he was not too concerned about it.
Some other issues are very limited outside storage, and you get the small 8 CF refrigerator.
I have read and heard these quotes....
"best motorhome with the most power"

"if you find one for sale buy it then go look at it"

"the hot rod of motorhomes, handles like a porche"

"i looked and look for one , hard to find, sell too quick"
Old 12-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
so it is way better than a VW van???
Old 12-23-2015, 12:23 AM   #10

if a fred is better why don't they still make them?

i'd like to find a 26'r with my same floor plan with a 8.1 diesel frt engine 6 or 8 speed

I have a 110lb wife and her dog is a toy poddle.... so I don't need a big motorhome..
Old 12-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #11

It not so much a matter of overall length it is the length compared to wheel base. The 32' coach was built from 1999-2004. The 1999 model probably had a solid front axle instead of independent front suspension. I have not driven this coach but I imagine it will have some handling issues due to the short wheel base compared to overall length. However the quality of the coach is excellent but if you're planning on doing lots of miles be prepared to take your time and travel at lower speeds, 55 mph and less. If you get one with a 400 ISL you may find yourself driving a rocket powered coach that steers like a pig on ice. If you're looking for a shorter CC you might keep an eye out for the 36' models.
Good Luck
Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #12

I talked with a 32' CC owner in the Teton's. They said it rode well, and felt the handling was better then their previous 34' DP. That being said, the drove that specific 32' and the same day drove a 36' CC. Same roads, an hour drive that included some highways, and mountain roads. Yes, they said the 36' did seem to handle better, but felt the comfort of the ride was the same. The gent said he'd SWAG the handling at about 10% less on the 32 vs 36. (They stopped by our site, to ask about our solar panels, and we ended up talking quite a bit over an hour period on all kinds of subjects. This was just one of them.)

As their two favorite parks were tight for even the 32', and no way for the 36', the went with the 36'. Had put on over 40K miles since they bought it, and were very happy with it. I know he had new Koni's installed at Henderson's Lineup, don't know if they were adjustable or FSD's.

OP - Unless you have a hard need for the 32', I agree that the 36' CC would be an easier find, and probably cost less to purchase.

Best of luck to you on your search,
Smitty
Old 12-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #13

One big reason I bought the Allure 470 Sunset Bay was for the fact that it is 37' and has dual tag and you can put the tag up. We are full timers and love it.....
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post

Of course the shorter the coach, the worse the handling. It doesn't make any difference if it is a gasser, Winnie, Fleetwood, etc, a short coach will never handle like a longer one. I didn't say that tweaking the suspension and tire pressure would make a 32 handle like a 40, there is no way. But the exaggerated poor handling of the 32 is blown out of proportion.

The 32 I drove (I only drove it 130 miles) was not all over the rod like some people say, even with the side winds experienced in the Banning Pass between the CA desert and Orange County.

There are downsides to a 32 CC but then again, there are downsides to any 32