Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
350hp cummins power

I am looking at a 2000 CC Intrigue 40' with a 350hp cummins. I had a prepurchase RV inspection done. The person who inspected the vehicle said it needed front tires & that made the ride a little rough. The other thing he said that it was slow from a stop but when he got to highway speed it was a smooth solid run vehicle.
My question is if the RV is slow from at the start will it be slow going up hills?
The other question can anyone tell me if your CC has worn front tires can you tell by the ride being rough & when you put new tires is there a big differents?

Thanks Greg

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Greg, welcome to iiRV2.com and to the Country Coach Owners Forum. We are glad to have you join us here. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums very much. I am also glad to see someone doing their homework before making a purchase.
In my opinion, the coach is under powered with 350 hp as it stands. The coach will not be able to pull steep and long grades very well at maintaining speed. This power train can be boosted by a couple of ways if you decide to purchase and put some money into it. There are a lot of great motor homes on the market right now and I would suggest you look at everything you can and then make a decision.
Feel free to send me a private message for more information. Great to have you with us.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
do you by chance know the tq rating
tq is what gets you going not hp
our coach is 40' its not a cc but we are at 30k loaded for the road solo and 37k with the toad and trailer
i have 360 hp 1100 tq cummins
it pulls in 6th gear and only down shifted in the mountains of new mexico
it had a ecm reflash last month to address take off,
it gets off the line pretty snappy, and even with the dpf installed i get 7.5 to 8 mpg at 66-67mph
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
I run the 8.3L mechanical 300 hp Cummins on my 31,000 lb rig. It will do 6% grades at 35mph with or without a 4,500lb toad. Torque is about 860 ft lbs.

I believe the rig you are evaluating will have over 1,000 lbs of torque which should be adequate for a single axle coach.

Speed uphill is overrated since you will not spend much time in that attitude anyway. It is just an ego thing.

We spend most of our time (@50,000 miles) in the Pacific Region and its mountain ranges with not a single failure of climbing the hills. We just do it slower than some trucks and faster than others.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
1996 Intrigue 325hp cummins,45mp is easy on all grades I climb. Use the bus for snow skiing, so its seen some hills. had injecter pump rebuilt that helped with the climbs. over 30thousand curb. 55 mp up a 6 percent is more macho than I can aford. besides all the nice people honk and wave when they pass. Take life slow its not the trip but the journey.
Blue Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Nuttmann

You be the judge. How does it feel to you when you are driving? Most motor homes don't exactly race up big hills. The real point is getting up them without going 25 mph in 2nd gear. IMHO 350 hp will be sufficient for the CC you are looking at. My current motor home has adequate power to get up really big hills like the I - 8 hill west of Ocatillo by San Diego. My previous ancient GMC class A actually went up it faster. The GMC was pretty fast. You had to be careful to keep the speed down or you would be doing 75.
Bob & Barbara
2002 Country Coach Affinity
Bob Nuttmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
Ours is a 300 hp cummins 8.3C all mechanical. In most cases, even on the 6% grades on I-64/77 thru the WV Turnpike we can run around 50-55mph uphill. I find in most cases that we still end up slowing way down due to other 18 wheel truck traffic in the far right lanes who can't make it up so easily. Unless we had 500+hp to be able to move over left with the cars and pass the truck traffic swiftly I doubt I'd notice the jump from 300 to 400 hp.

94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote