Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

80 psi not enough

I purchased a 93 CC Concept last fall, I had it winterized and then parked it for the winter, started it a few times over the winter, with no issues other than the air ride suspension not inflating. I canít get the air ride to inflate, the air pressure in both primary and secondary tanks only make it to 79-80 psi. In one of the owners manuals Iíve read that there is a procedure identified in the Gillig Chassis manual for manually inflating, only problem is I donít have the Gillig Chassis Manual (wasnít among the many manual that came with the rig). The coach will not go into Drive or Reverse, and I assume this is because the Air suspension isnít inflated. Can anyone provide me with clews that might help me with 1) how to inflate the air suspension manually and 2) what might prevent the air pressure from raising above 80 psi?
Thanks in advance!
Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #2

Call Bo Vongamath at Gillig 510-264-5077 have your last seven digits of your vin number handy. He should have manual and chassis build sheet that he can send you. His email also BV@gillig.com

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 AM   #3

At least the compressor is working. I'm guessing there should be a regulator on it.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

Check the dryer as it may be issue.

If you have air leveling the air system may have interlock.

Also bear in mind the shifter and throttle may be air operated so low air is big problem.

Does the compressor continue to run or does it cycle?

A sticky valve in the dryer can do this and if it has not been serviced swap it with rebuilt one.

May be hard to get to but it is off the shelf part where big rigs are maintained.

Places like terminal air brake have factory rebuilds often cheaper than the service kit.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I believe you should be able to add air through the quick connects that are in my engine and front driver side basement compartments.

Adding air is recommended by Gillig during towing episodes and to release the emergency brake.

I think I can send you a digitized PDF copy of the 1995 Gillig Owners Manual if desired. But you would need to provide me with an email address via the private messaging service on this web site. And, I would have to experiment with the process a bit.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #6

Thanks, I contacted Bo via email and plan to chat with him! I'm still working the issue but your information/POC has been very helpful!
Thanks
Bill
Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

Thanks Tony!
I think the compressor is running non-stop when I start the engine I can hear what sounds like air going into a tank, and that sound doesn't stop, until after I shut the engine down. The fact that it only gets to 80 psi has me thinking that some valve is opening at 80 psi and it's dumping it into something with a hole (air ride bag??)
And yes, I have air leveling, but pressing the up button doesn't do anything, but pressing the down does, you hear air escaping so apparently there is some pressure in one or more of the bags.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Bill
Old 05-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #8

Continous pumping sounds like stuck or leaking dump valve in dryer.

Locate yours so you can get it out and exchange it.

Easy to do...if you can get to it.

Do not trust gillig as they had wrong dryer type listed for ours by vin so best is to just pull it out and exchange for bendix rebuilt if bendix ad9 or whatever...
Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
You should be able to locate the exit point of the rushing air by sound or touch.

If you are lucky and it is not the dryer bleed port, it might be a brake pot or the leveling system ports. Those items have levers to move and/or I have found tapping with a hammer closes things up.

Been there, done that.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote