Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #29

Congratulations on the coach--looks nice in the picture. We have a 6-cylinder Cat, so can't be of much help on your engine issues, but hope you get it worked out!
Best wishes!

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #30

Thank you. I've been out of town on business, and found the batteries wont go higher than 11 volts (8d Duracells x2 per bank). So, I boiled a ton of water, and added Epsom Salts after dumping out the old acid. Got it on charger 2 amp for a day or so, and see what happens? $200.00 a piece, I'm inclined to try this method first. Then, I can get started on my to do list.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #31

They are done...just toss them.

New 4D batteries better than the 8D of the day but not that much cheaper.

Sams sells the 8D For decent price but...

Get the yellow pages and look for mom and pop battery dealers.

Plus look close at battery before buy.

On ours we went to sams and they were listed at 149.00 or so each, date codes about a year old and cca was maybe 1300

Called local place and would have fresh (dated month after purchase) 1500 cca for 139.00 or so.

Dont waste time on them...at least chsnge engine batteries
Old 08-01-2014, 01:41 AM   #32

If you have the battery in front for the genny it was for gp27 but a gp31 is about same footprint except for some mounting tangs that you cut off.

Top is bigger but a lot bigger battery.

It powers the levelers and genny starter.

We added a 120 vac outlet under dash and installed battery minder to keep it hot.

The genny will allow you to charge coach batteries via converter get you started with boost if the others drop dead.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #33

Thanks again Tony... When I bought the coach, the batteries had to be charged for a day or so, before he could show it for me. On the road, it would fire right up because of that high amp alternator, I assume.
The generator issue, was also another thing. Didn't have much fuel, but it did fire up for a bit. Also, upon test driving, we ran out of fuel in Ft. Myers, in a turn lane. I had to learn the hard way, and crawl back there, after inserting 10 gal of fuel, and pump pump pump. With a hot engine, I wasn't happy. But got it going....Phew!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #34

Which reminds me...

Filler hose from tank to inlet likely cracked as ours was.

We added some fuel via cans and noticed puddle on ground.

It will leak down to less than 1/2.

It is not cheap at about 100 for the hose and it is not a napa thing.

We got ours at an industrial rubber supply.

You need to measure first...cannot remember exact size.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #35

Okay, will check the fuel line, and inlet. Didn't see anything leaking, and they were getting fuel to the generator. That may have been done already, before I got it? But, I'll check? Btw, I charged one of the 8D Duracell's for 48 hrs at 2 amps, after dumping the old, and adding Epsom Salts, and boiling the water. It cranked the Cat right up, but will monitor it? Gonna do the same with the other, for now. Hey, almost $200.00 a pop, I'll try the salts first. LOL
Old 08-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #36

Well, Tony.... I got one start out of that battery I tried to revive... LOL. Just bought one from Napa, w/18mo warranty, dated made in March of this year. $175.00 w/AAA discount... Live and Learn... I guess...
Old 08-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #37

The epsum is to remove sulfates.

Dumping out acid big no no...

I suggest you look for a commercial battery place...not interstate.

Many of these do telecom batteries and sometimes sell used ones.

They are agm and not for starting but for coach.

Currently using 6 in the forklift...2 x 3 for 36 volts and it works great.

You should always turn off your converter when not using it ss it is likey same as ours and just a bit high voltage which charges fine but then cooks them well done.

We added battery minders inside in front of bed to do bach batteries and smaller one in front for genny battery.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #38

Defective Radiator Cap/one problem solved

I had bought a pressure tester on craigslist, and tested the cap. It leaked like a sieve. Bought another, and normally by the time I got out to the highway, it was starting to run hot. I drove it 12 miles and it stayed at 195 tops. Then my last 2 miles, after leaving a red light, it came up a little more, and had me worried again. Going thru the gearbox, getting her up to speed, you have to approach over 3200 rpm, to shift. Its hot in Florida right now, and that may have something to do with it? I have a semi-retired mechanic coming out today, to look at my DKD genset diesel. As I've been told by a shop, after process of elimination at my cost, that its the fuel injection pump? Thanks everyone for you appreciated input? John T.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #39

Question Bad fuel line?

Mechanic came out and says that its getting air in the injectors, from a bad fuel line? And that it is NOT the inj. pump, as the previous mechanic said? I followed the line to the top of the tank, I believe, with no end in sight? Tony, I believe you mentioned something in this regards, I'll scroll up and see?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #40

Likely cracked fuel line.

Do this...

Get gas can with diesel in it.

Short chunk of furl line.

Locate fuel pump and swap new line and drop it in diesel.

Feed pump looks like toilet paper roll size tube fuel line on it and a wire.

Locate bleeder screw on main fuel pump.

Get a clip lead and locate plug in wire from fuel pump.

Unplug wire then with clip lead connect to battery wire on starter and observe pump run.

Open bleeder and repeat...it will squirt some so cover with rag.

Tighten screw and return wire to normal and try to start it.

It it runs then you may have cracked line.

Get 20 feet and a coupler for same with 2 clamps.

Could not get to top of tank to replace complete hose but spliced in just at front of tank and it works fine for now.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #41

Genset Fuel problems

Tony, just saw your post. LOL! I had did just what you suggested for the most part. I took an antifreeze gal jug, and bought 3' of hose, and hooked into elec fuel pump. I had went to clean off the top of the engine a bit, and sprayed some ether near the inj nozzles. Luckily I did so, 'cause when I went to crank it, and bleed the lines, The #2 inj nozzle started bubbling on the bottom, and air coming out from where the inj is flush with the engine (possibly just the gasket)?. So, another mechanic, with a missed diagnosis? I thought I could tighten it some, and to my dismay, I put a hole in the tube fuel overflow line that runs to each one. So, I found on Jacks small engines on line, and got a inj nozzle (part #185-2436) for 159.00, a gasket for that, and the over flow line (185-2437). I called that mechanic, and told him what I was going to do, and he said he could get the inj checked for free? And that they could run anywhere from 300 to 600 a piece. I'm on my own here now... LOL! Phew! Will let you know what happens, once it gets here
Old 08-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hope you figure things out! I just joined as well, another JLambert.