Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
'97 CC Magna. need help

Hello all,
Don here. I am close to purchasing a 1997 CC Magna. I am familiar with motorhomes etc. but have a few questions someone might have an answer to.
1. This coach has a genset in the front. I cannot get to it to service and start it. I can hear a solenoid click and am wondering is there is a screw jack that will power the whole gen-set out? Is there a manual method?
2. I can see a switch on the gas line and cannot get gas to stove and furnaces'. What powers this switch? Is there a switch to turn gas on? Where? I am close to bypassing switch!
Thanks in advance for any answers.
This is a great forum, Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hi Don, the generator may not have good access; like roll out for servicing, on the model year you are looking at or have bought by now. You should be able to start the generator from inside but it sounds like you may have a weak voltage issue if the solenoid you hear clicking is the starter solenoid. This could be due to batteries or the conductors and connections. There should be some large cables feeding the generator; measure the voltage on these cables and let us know what you find.
The coach probably has an emergency LP gas cut off solenoid and the LP leak detector near the floor must be turned on and functioning to open the valve you see on the line coming off the LP tank. Again you will need 12vdc to open this valve. Good luck and keep us posted.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

Don,
Here's a reply my husband is sending you (through me).
My 98 CC Afinity seems to be the same as your as your 97 Magna. On my coach
1. The generator has a release switch on the control panel which is in the by under the drivers seat. It takes 2 people to release it. One two operate the switch (Clicking sound you hear) and another to push in and than pull out on the center of the front “bumper”. The generator than slides out on rails for service.
2. There is a gas detector near the floor which controls the gas valve, On my coach the detector is in the kitchen on the kick plate near the stove and water heater cabinet. The gas valve is on the tank. Also on my coach if it is unused for a few months it a few minutes to get the gas to the appliances.
Good luck -
Mary Ann
Old 01-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Hi Don, the generator may not have good access; like roll out for servicing, on the model year you are looking at or have bought by now. You should be able to start the generator from inside but it sounds like you may have a weak voltage issue if the solenoid you hear clicking is the starter solenoid. This could be due to batteries or the conductors and connections. There should be some large cables feeding the generator; measure the voltage on these cables and let us know what you find.
The coach probably has an emergency LP gas cut off solenoid and the LP leak detector near the floor must be turned on and functioning to open the valve you see on the line coming off the LP tank. Again you will need 12vdc to open this valve. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hi Mike, it looks like I got to the right person. The gen-set cranks over so voltage is ok. The unit is monted on rollers and is suppose to power out the front of the coach. I think there is a powered screw jack or some type of power out motor. I only hear a click when switch is applied. What type of power out is my question. Is there a manual override...like a crank etc?
I am fighting cold conditions in MT so access under the coach is hard at this time. I feel that if I can get unit out it could be started.
The 12v line valve in the gas line could be bypassed with a 12v power source. I will look for the emer. shut off. That was a big help.
The unit has two furnaces and only one will blow cold air and keep blowing untill powered off. I assume that the circuit board is an older model and will not shut off after 3 tries. The 2nd furnace will not blow and I need to figure the zone 1 and zone 2 on the thermostat.
If I can get heat to the unit it would really help. It was 10 degrees the last trip to the coach. The coach was a repo and neglect shows through out. The interior/exterior is in great shape so I have a great coach to start a total refinish in.
I just need to get heat in the interior and sort out all the circuit boards.
It has 7 windows that the seal is creaping toward the inside of the window. Very ugly!
Thanks for your help Mike and if this gives you more info I could use all the help I can get.
Thanks a bunch, Don
Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizhoni1 View Post
Don,
Here's a reply my husband is sending you (through me).
My 98 CC Afinity seems to be the same as your as your 97 Magna. On my coach
1. The generator has a release switch on the control panel which is in the by under the drivers seat. It takes 2 people to release it. One two operate the switch (Clicking sound you hear) and another to push in and than pull out on the center of the front “bumper”. The generator than slides out on rails for service.
2. There is a gas detector near the floor which controls the gas valve, On my coach the detector is in the kitchen on the kick plate near the stove and water heater cabinet. The gas valve is on the tank. Also on my coach if it is unused for a few months it a few minutes to get the gas to the appliances.
Good luck -
Mary Ann
Wow, thanks you guys. I suppose the gas detector is hard wired (12V) and needs to be reset. My present coach does not have some of these options.
I am a retired boat builder Marine Surveyor and am used to large Yachts etc. I would rate this coach at a 5 now but in a year it should be a 9.5. I am in MT. and weather permitting I can work on it. A large shop would be an answer to a lot of problems. I have committed to purchasing the coach and the remodel will keep my sanity during the winter months.
It does not have a slide and that would be nice but in winter conditions is a minus with snow and ice etc. We decided if we get a 40' we can do without a slide.
I have another question: Is there a clear coat on the wheels or just aluminum? The wheels are dull and I wonder what owners are using to shine wheels?
Thanks for the fast reply, and isn't this a fantastic site?
If there are fiberglass issues out there I might be able to help people with an answer or two. Don
Old 01-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #6

Don, my rig is older than yours but also no slides.

Yes, when you turn on the 12v system, reset your propane detector by turning it off then on. It will then switch on the propane flow (if the detector is functional). Then light the stove or water heater to get the propane flowing. Once that is a success, the refrigerator and furnaces should fire up when started.

My genset slides out after the switch on the roof in the front driver side compartment is pressed. I then walk to the front and pull the slide out. I have a dedicated starter battery for the genset in the front driver side compartment as well.

My rig requires that I preheat the genset for 15 seconds before trying to start at all temps. Also, there should be a genset battery boost to help start the genny.

Is there enough fuel in the diesel fuel tank for the genset to run? My rig has a safety feature that prevents the genset from depleting the fuel available to the engine. At least a quarter of a tank (25 gallons is probably needed.)

If it starts but will not run, then check the oil level, coolant level, and fuel line for leaks. Otherwise it might be the voltage regulator or fuel stop solenoid problem.

BTW, my rig has Alcoa Aluminum wheels but no clearcoat. There is a way to tell the difference by the legends on the wheels, but I do not remember the code.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #7

'97 Magna

Hi Dean,
Thanks for the info. The switch on the top of compartment just clicks. Next trip I will make sure all batt's are up.

Does this just unlock genset so it can be rolled out manually? Someone told me you needed two people...one to unlock and one to pull. I can see a screw jack will be installed at a future date if this is true.

Also, when I hit pre-heat I hear a solenoid(sp) just clicking. The gen-set cranks over good but I can't get to it to check oil etc. Fuel is 3/4 full. If I can get it rolled out I think service will be easy.

What engine do you have? I see the Magna has some large running gear and was impressed with the brake size. What fuel mileage do you get?

We are in West Yellowstone, Mt. Where are you guys?

Thanks for the help, Don
Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #8

Don

My genset slide opens manually. Press the switch, hear the click, walk to the front and pull gently on the bottom of the slide door with two hands. On mine, I would be pulling on fiberglass and the genset is heavy so be careful.

Mine does open easily with a short tug. (Actually, mine had a clear plexiglass shield on the front. So I could pull on the bottom of the shield. I have recently removed that shield which left me with two stainless hand grips to pull on.)

If you have heard the click but not opened the slide, be careful when you next drive the rig. You may find your genset getting to the first stop sign before the rest of the coach.

At 10 degrees, the slide might be frozen some what?

If you know your target rig has a powered genset slide, then the above is not applicable.

That rig probably has bigger wheels and brakes than mine. The 95 was undersized in both areas, but that has not hampered performance.

I have the Cummins c8.3L 300HP mechanical engine on a Gillig chassis. We have owned it for 8 years.

We are in Sacramento, Ca area.

Hope the above helps
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 01-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #9

Hi Dean,
Again, thanks for the detailed info. The Lexan shield has been removed and someone has pulled too hard like you mentioned. Right now it is a easy fglass repair but who knows who will pull on it next. I really believe a power out screw jack will be installed. There is no way to pull it out without pulling the fiberglass. Maybe 2 "nerf bars" chromed would look good....like the hotrod days? A guy could pull like heck then. I think the click is a release like you mentioned. Next trip I will pull on the frame of the gen and pull it out. I plan on taking a diesel generator with me and get all batteries charged if the coach gen-set doesn't start. I feel confident it will start though.

Up here in West yellow all vehicles need block heaters and good glow plugs or nuthin' will start. Also, diesel additive or anti-gel in the fuel lines.

Something I learned in the boating days is to keep diesel tanks full when stored. If half empty rust will form in the tank and load up fuel filters the next trip. I learned this the hard way with only two fuel filters on board and 100 miles offshore!

The tire size as I remember was 120x 22.5. Don't know if these are large or not. My present coach has 19.5 and these tires look huge compared. I think the brakes were 12"?

I would be happy with a Mech. engine. I guess I haven't entered the puter world 100%. A mechanical engine can always be kept running where a puter could go out and a lot of bucks chasing it down...in the middle of no where..

Is your coach quiet? I see there are two slider doors and wonder if you keep these closed when travelng? The lid has been loosened and is not bolted down. I though it is a bit noisey but it should change for the better when bolted down.

Ahhh Saramento, I was born there. All I remember when traveling through was it can get hot there. The snow up here is getting old and we plan on traveling in the winter months in the future.

There is a Co called Anderson Bros Truck Parts in Portland,OR. I remember they carry all sizes of air brake cannisters and a price where all the truckers buy them. I will probably change them do to no history on the coach. This will be our last RV and I want it mech. perfect.

Thanks again Dean, Don
Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #10

Hi Don,

Our coach is quiet with a few rattles on rough road. Usually the rattles are cabinet contents, front Zip Dee awning arms, and the three slide doors. All can be eliminated. I do hear the engine but it is a faint rumble up front. Bolting down the engine compartment lid will avoid diesel drift getting into the bedroom.

We travel with the slider doors open and locked into position. If you forget to lock the doors, they will announce their presence on the next turn or stop with a loud slam. Two of mine have mirrors on them and could get broken in the process.

The rig should have a block heater with the switch on the drive left side switch panel. It will need shore power or generator to work.

Yep it does get warm here in August and July. We had snow on the ground for two days this season. First time in 12 yrs.

The tires on my rig are 10R 22.5.

I would guess that your brakes are fine if the rig has not hit 100K yet. I am just getting around to have the front bearings done at 75k.

When you get the system aired up, do the air brake system tests before your first departure. Success there will give you confidence. I find I use the service brakes much less with the exhaust brake feature. You may have the even better engine brake.

1995 CC Magna #5280