Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
A good riding tire

What would be a good riding tire on a 1997 Country Coach Affinity 40 footer? How are the Continental HSR2 tires and are they a good riding tire? How are the Goodyear's and Bridgestone's compared with the Michelin's?

Tim and Linda Neal
1997 Country Coach Affinity
Huntington Beach, California

timneal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CarlAda
I'm running Bridgestones on my coach. Smooth ride, wear well. I'd consider them again, but want to also look at FMCA discount on the BF Goodrich tires.

On a different coach, I had Goodyears and found them to ride hard. I replaced them with Michelin and the ride was much improved, however the GY were 7 years old, too...so, take that for what it's worth.

2007 Country Coach Intrigue Ovation II 42' being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:36 AM   #3
I had Michelins and bought new Goodyears and I don't see how you could tell the difference with (air ride) suspension? Rides and drives great. I bought goodyears because they were still made in America and Michelins were not.
1997 Magna, gillig chassis , 38Ft.
Detroit 40 W Turbo 330 HP
Allison 6 Spd
Jerry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
I have run Toyo and Bridgestone over the last 70,000 miles with comfort and success.

The Michelins were on the rig only a short time that I owned the rig before the CC recall and new tires so I have no real experience with that brand on a MH.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
40' 2004 Allure with IFS. Road King shocks and Source Engineering air check valves.

-Usually the rear tires will not be felt as you are driving down the road.
-Front tires with stiffer sidewalls, can be felt as you go down the road.
-We found the first set of 6-7 year old OEM Toyo's were both loud, and firm riding. (No idea how the 1st owner took care of the tires, and we were replacing them due to age anyways.)
-The set of Michelin XZE*'s tires, have extra meat on the sidewall to protect agains curb kissing opportunities. Always felt safe, not bad on noise, but were even stiffer riding on the front end then the Toyo's. (Expansion joints, DOT's between the lanes, etc.)
-We had to replace 2 out our 8 XZE*'s at age 5, due to a pot hole encounter that broke a cord in one tire, and slipped a cord in the other. (Very good chance, that a less robust tire - would have had a blow out by this impact. So, I felt the XZE*'s gave me a safety edge - but paid for this in price, more stiff front end ride, and less MPG due to higher rolling resistance.)
-Tire shortage at the time. So ended up with 2 BF Goodrich ST230's, and put those new tires on the front/steers. They rode well, less stiff and you could tell the difference in a softer front end ride.
-We replace the other 6 XZE*'s earlier this year. Went with the Micheling XZA2. Put the ST230's on the tag. The XZA2's ride softer and quieter then the ST230's. Pleased with the choice, and they have less rolling resistance then any other others mentioned, so may yield slight increase in MPG over the years of usage.

Other tires that I was told by other DP's owners that I know, and respect, that provide good ride at a bit lower cost point - were the Hankook AH12 or AH11 depending upon the size you need. I for sure, would not have been concerned with putting them on the rear. So one option is Hankook on the rear, and Michelin on the Steers. (Save some money.) Or, Hankook all around - as again, I trust the feedback of the DP owners that told me to check them out...

So, their is my input!

Best of luck to you,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
On my gasser had Good Year they were junk. Ran Hankooks much better tire.
I'm running Samons on DP in my sig. I would buy them or the Hankooks again.
Not a Michelin fan just purchased a 2016 Ford Edge that came with Michelins on it.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote