Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2019, 11:09 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Okay, I just received two new capacitors from SupCo, a run capacitor with the exact numbers as the old one, and a start capacitor with 43-56Mfd 220-Volt printed on the label but the old one has 47-56Mfd 250 Vac on it. I'm not a capacitor expert but is this going to work? Not sure what 43 vs 47 is and if it will effect the operation, and 220 V vs 250 V??? I'm concerned... should I be?

Remember that my fan is running just fine, just no AC or heat. I am assuming that the start capacitor is the issue?

signed, concerned and questioning...
2001 Country Coach Magna #5954
Cat C10 Allison Transmission and Hurricane Heat
JRadtheNoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 12:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRadtheNoMad View Post
Okay, I just received two new capacitors from SupCo, a run capacitor with the exact numbers as the old one, and a start capacitor with 43-56Mfd 220-Volt printed on the label but the old one has 47-56Mfd 250 Vac on it. I'm not a capacitor expert but is this going to work? Not sure what 43 vs 47 is and if it will effect the operation, and 220 V vs 250 V??? I'm concerned... should I be?

Remember that my fan is running just fine, just no AC or heat. I am assuming that the start capacitor is the issue?

Your fine
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:07 AM   #17

Unless the start cap was visually damaged it's more then likely the run cap that failed originally
Old 03-11-2019, 04:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Well I'm in need of some help... My forward Penguin AC/HP (Dometic 630215.321) will run the fan but not any AC or Heat. I have pulled off the shroud and all appears fine and I have located two capacitors that I believe are the culprits. Not sure which one is which and am willing to replace both but need to locate new replacements. One large gray one and a smaller black one. I can barely make out some numbers on them and was hoping someone might know a possible Amazon item number? I will research a AC/Heat company if I have to but am hoping someone here may have a solution.
Did I miss the pint where you checked the caps with a meter? Took the caps somewhere to have them tested? That is what I would have done before throwing parts at a problem. Yes, you have a 50/50 chance the cap may be the problem but there is a possibility there is a contactor or a control problem too. I would be checking a few things with a VOM meter first but then again I have troubleshot and repaired electronics for over 40 years.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
your fine
x2.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #20

Quote:

So..... What happened?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #21

Well, in an effort to make sure that the correct capacitors were replaced accordingly, I tracked down a capacitor with has the exact specs as the one I removed. I now have replaced both the run and start capacitors and the unit runs but still does not heat or cool. I've compared it with the identical rear unit that is working properly and the wiring is exactly the same. Really do not want to replace the entire unit....
Old 03-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post
Are either of them swollen in the least?
In the stick house garage door opener I had one explode. Paper all over.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #23

Did not realize there is a third capacitor, start assist. Just ordered it off of Amazon and will update when I receive it and install. Last try before I have to explore the replacement of entire unit....
Old 03-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How do you remove them? Are they a twist and pull setup?
Bump
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #25

If you have dedicated thermostats for each unit, swap them to assure that the thermostat is not the problem?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Well, in an effort to make sure that the correct capacitors were replaced accordingly, I tracked down a capacitor with has the exact specs as the one I removed. I now have replaced both the run and start capacitors and the unit runs but still does not heat or cool. I've compared it with the identical rear unit that is working properly and the wiring is exactly the same. Really do not want to replace the entire unit....
Is the compressor running and not cooling? If so it is likely out of refrigerant. If the fan is running and the compressor is silent probably a bad wire connection at the compressor circuit or a bad circuit board , did you check the resistance of the compressor windings it could have an open winding? If only the fan runs and nothing else it could be a bad board,wire connection or a bad thermostat. If it were a bad capacitor the compressor would be hot to the touch and the fan would be running. If the compressor has a locked rotor it will be hot and not running. Just a few things to check.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #27

told you they were fine( 30 year HVAC tech)

Go buy an inexpensive meter that reads amperage(clamp type). After you replace the capacitor next time put the amp clamp around the common wire on the compressor have a second person downstairs when trying to start it. if it pulls like 20 or more amps or more for several seconds and then goes to zero... compressor is locked up.time for a new unit.

If there is no amperage draw then
verify voltage between common and run. "C and R" terminals on the wiring to the compressor or the compressor itself. If you have voltage and no amperage...the windings are open....time for new unit. I'll look for some videos on how to diagnose a compressor

Note this must me done with a cold compressor. As in not have been trying to start it
Old 03-15-2019, 06:47 AM   #28

AstroAI Digital Clamp Meter, Multimeter Volt Meter with Auto Ranging; Measures Voltage Tester, AC Current, Resistance, Continuity; Tests Diodes, Red/Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B1XPZS2..._a75ICb1FMBMGH

There's an inexpensive meter
Still looking for videos