Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
AC/HP Capacitors

Well I'm in need of some help... My forward Penguin AC/HP (Dometic 630215.321) will run the fan but not any AC or Heat. I have pulled off the shroud and all appears fine and I have located two capacitors that I believe are the culprits. Not sure which one is which and am willing to replace both but need to locate new replacements. One large gray one and a smaller black one. I can barely make out some numbers on them and was hoping someone might know a possible Amazon item number? I will research a AC/Heat company if I have to but am hoping someone here may have a solution.
2001 Country Coach Magna #5954
Cat C10 Allison Transmission and Hurricane Heat
JRadtheNoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Are either of them swollen in the least?
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do you remove them? Are they a twist and pull setup?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRadtheNoMad View Post
Well I'm in need of some help... My forward Penguin AC/HP (Dometic 630215.321) will run the fan but not any AC or Heat. I have pulled off the shroud and all appears fine and I have located two capacitors that I believe are the culprits. Not sure which one is which and am willing to replace both but need to locate new replacements. One large gray one and a smaller black one. I can barely make out some numbers on them and was hoping someone might know a possible Amazon item number? I will research a AC/Heat company if I have to but am hoping someone here may have a solution.
I replaced them on mine earlier this year. We have the exact same units. I can give you numbers in the morning. I bought extras so I’d have spares and then added easy start kits to my units so now I don’t need them. Feel free to pm me your number and I can call you tomorrow and talk to you directly. Do you have the penguin manuals for your units?
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:09 AM   #5

Could you post the numbers etc? Our rear heat pump went out. It is in fla and I am in pa. I haven't gotten down there to trouble shoot it yet but I am hoping it is the capacitors. Thanks.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #6

These capacitors are generic commodity items. They're available from a wide variety of sources. Amazon, eBay, electronic supply places like Mouser, etc. They're ordered by specification, i.e. capacitance/voltage and physical conformation.

Here's the info for the ones in the subject Penguin heat pump and details of replacement.

Capacitor Specs

Replacement Details

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #7

Here is the information requested. The small black capacitor is the START capacitor and the large silver one is the RUN capacitor. The fan motor is available through eBay and costs about $120. The motor just requires a lot of patience and dexterity to replace but it is doable. A buddy is really required to help as you do need 3 hands to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3AD9D3D3-9605-490B-926B-0A61E1EC6F0A.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	236327   Click image for larger version

Name:	0A55A727-AAB7-4AF8-8365-5FAF177E4B62.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	236328  

Coach #10984
Old 02-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #8

After some earlier research, I was looking for a swollen look. Neither appear to be.
2001 Country Coach Magna #5954
Cat C10 Allison Transmission and Hurricane Heat
JRadtheNoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
After some earlier research, I was looking for a swollen look. Neither appear to be.
That really doesn’t mean they’re not bad. Have you tried removing the cover and have someone start the unit while you’re looking at the unit? If the fan motor hums but doesn’t start spin the fan by hand and see if it takes off. If it does start and keeps running the start capacitor is bad. These things are pretty much bulletproof as long as the refrigerant hasn’t leaked out.
Coach #10984
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #10

I've had multiple cap failures on the front AC since new in 2004. Given the age of your coach, you may need to verify that the capacitor values are correct before buying new ones. On my front AC, I previous repair person put in the wrong values and the run Cap failed again. Mine have never been swollen. I would pull the cover off the rear AC (or middle) and double check the values.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #11

https://surpluscityliquidators.com/s...arch=capacitor
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #12

Quote:
I had the opposite problem with my front unit last spring, the compressor would start but the fan would not run.. It was a bad run capacitor. I think it was $8 something from Amazon. When replacing the capacitor be sure to discharge it before pulling the wires off or you could get a shock.
1999 CC Allure 36 DTSG #30317
USAF Retired
dhetrick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatz View Post
That really doesn’t mean they’re not bad. Have you tried removing the cover and have someone start the unit while you’re looking at the unit? If the fan motor hums but doesn’t start spin the fan by hand and see if it takes off. If it does start and keeps running the start capacitor is bad. These things are pretty much bulletproof as long as the refrigerant hasn’t leaked out.
The black plastic capacitors are referred to as "start" capacitors the round or oval are "run" caps. A fan motor doesn't utilize a start cap only a run cap
In the pictures above the only info you need as far as ordering one would be. The microferad rating and the voltage.
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:19 AM   #14

In the picture the silver one is a 370v "volt"..
20 and a 10 microfarad combined the uf symbol is the microfarad rating
This capacitor is both for the fan and the run cap for the compressor
The black one is the start capacitor and is only used in conjunction with a relay.
It is a 250v 43-53 uf. Rating
Now that being said many units have done away with the hard wired start cap and just use a device called a hard start. It consists of a bimetal disc that mimicks a relay and a start capacitor. They take seconds to wire in as they piggyback onto the run cap terminals. And can be added to any unit whether or not it was equipped with one originally.
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote