Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

AC Panels

Has anyone replaced the 120VAC distribution panels inside your CC? I must do that because my Sub AC panel no longer has enough breaker spaces. I'm having trouble finding not only a repair place who knows how to do this in a MH, but a source for the new panels, as well. Help.

JC
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
Has anyone replaced the 120VAC distribution panels inside your CC? I must do that because my Sub AC panel no longer has enough breaker spaces. I'm having trouble finding not only a repair place who knows how to do this in a MH, but a source for the new panels, as well. Help.

JC

JC,

I am assuming you would want to do this per the NEC (National Electrical Code)? If not your insurance may be null and void in the case of a fire. If you could find a 100 amp panel it would be about twice the size of the 50 amp you have now. Is there room for that? Also you would need to upgrade your cord reel to 100 amps as well as the transfer switch and surge protector (haven't seen a 100 amp surge protector but there may be some). Then you would have to upgrade the cable from the cord reel all the way through the surge protector, transfer switch and on into the main panel inside the coach. I've heard there are very high end coaches with 100 amp panels but I haven't seen any myself. Never seen a 100 amp hookup either.

Just some thoughts
Old 04-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Double Breakers are available for most manufactures. This won't increase your load capacity, but will allow for more current protected circuits.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

What he said...

Older cc here and all breakers are standard size about 3/4 inch wide.

They are standard common style.

They sell doubles that have 2 in same package.

If already small leave as is and add a sub panel someplace.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #5

Barney, you have me stumped. Why the 100A stuff?The sub panel can't receive any AC from the outside; all must go through the Magnum MSH 3012. That inverter technically has a max output of 63A; but the output is really limited to 50A because that's the breaker size in the sub. There's still the 50A per leg for the Main panel; but it's the same. The way I understand, my OCPD for all 120VAC devices fed by the sub is the inverter itself (plus the breaker I mentioned). If you know of an NEC section aim should read, please send.

Others: Even if I put 2 13mm breakers (double) in the std 26mm space, I'll still be short. Plus, one I'm moving down is the front air; and I feel better with it on a std 26mm.

If I knew of a professional nearby who spoke MH electricity, I'd hire him. Anyone know of an electrical guru near Dallas?

JC
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #6

We have quad breakers that are 50 amp 240 in the center and 30 amp 240 on the outside in the same size as a standard double pole breaker.

20 amp doubles in single phase are very common so the only issue is being careful to keep loads balanced.

So remove one ac breaker and get 3 double of same size.

One for each ac and one spare.

So maybe a 15 amp for third...

By replacing both ac breakers the loads for the ac units remain on their original positions.

Add circuits for maybe heaters or other high current items that would be used only while on shore or genny power.

Heaters would not be used same time as ac so less risk of overloading the connection point.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post

JC
this is a good thread i am following... i have explored a little on it in the past few days but yet come up with a solution.

my main panel has two 50a ac breakers/inputs and a 30a breaker for a/c and other breakers (as on a subpanel although the same board). on magnum ms2812, the terminal options are - si/so at 30a, or si/so at 60a. granted, i'd prefer latter for the maximum output.

i am still unsure how to route the wire (6 gauge romex) between main panel and the inverter for 50a and where a separate subpanel could be put at with 3 or 4 (15a) outlets (front a/c will be on one of those)...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel