Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AC recharge question

One of the crimpped hose fittings on the high pressure side of my dash AC is leaking (has been repaired twice). I plan to have it addressed again when we get to CC in Oregon.

In the meantime I thought about getting one of those recharge kits from O'Reilly's. It holds a charge for some time but slowly leaks off.

Never used one of these before. My system takes 5 lbs for a full charge so will one can even fill it? Should I not try it?

I'm thinking it would be nice to have some dash AC while we travel.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 06:54 AM   #2

Do you happen to know what type of coolant your system takes? The latest is 136A I believe? I have the same issue, where I have a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery 36t pusher and I am not sure if what refrigerant it takes. The wrong coolant could damage the pump. Not 100% sure, bit would be interested to hear what a true system mechanic knows.
samschudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

My dash air went south while I'm headed east. I decided to run the genny and use the roof air. Sure makes it nicer in the whole coach and the fuel mileage doesn't suffer that much, maybe a 1/10 MPG. That is what I have been seeing this trip
Old 07-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
TR4

Did it leak down to the point where the compressor doesn't run? If so you might need about two or three pounds of freon.

You can buy A/C R134A Manifold Gauge Set. Or you can borrow a set from a parts store. You get a more accurate reading of your high and low pressures to determine how much freon to add. Or just add a can or two of the recharge cans. They only read the low side.

Bill
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
you can purchase the 12 ounce cans at any reliable parts store. If you get the can with the hose and gauge try to charge until the gauge reads 45 PSI it might take 4 to 5 cans to get good cold air. Turn the dash air on MAX and run the fan on high.
The gauge will be color coded for the proper charge, and 45 is well into the green You also might need a pinch valve to connect the hose to the can
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 AM   #6

So can you use R134a in an older dash AC, without damaging the pumps and system? What were the older refrigerants that have been done away with because of environment issues, R12, R22?
samschudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:17 AM   #7

Nope--134a in an old r12 system will not be good--compressor oil is different, seals are different. Think r12 changed out to 134a in circa 1996. Coaches built after 1996 should have 134a.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:17 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by samschudi View Post
So can you use R134a in an older dash AC, without damaging the pumps and system? What were the older refrigerants that have been done away with because of environment issues, R12, R22?
R12 is the old automobile refrigerant. R22 is the old house refrigerant.(also used in the roof airs.) NEVER use R22 in any vehicle cooling system.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
One of the crimpped hose fittings on the high pressure side of my dash AC is leaking (has been repaired twice). I plan to have it addressed again when we get to CC in Oregon.

In the meantime I thought about getting one of those recharge kits from O'Reilly's. It holds a charge for some time but slowly leaks off.

Never used one of these before. My system takes 5 lbs for a full charge so will one can even fill it? Should I not try it?

I'm thinking it would be nice to have some dash AC while we travel.
I always repaired leaking crimped fittings by cutting off the old crimp with a high speed grinder and installing a standard AC hose clamp. Make sure to use a AC clamp. They are heavier and stronger than a normal worm clamp.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #10

Is the fitting leaking on hose side or is it bad fitting?

If repaired twice it was not repaired once but worked on twice.

These should last life of unit so something not right.

Do NOT mess with it and use roof air...period.

If it has been worked on twice and still failing then something is wrong big time.

Combine this with fact if leaking gas it also leaking oil so you could be low.

Using system low on gas could cause compressor to fail...not good.

If going to CC for other work then first ask why it broke the first time as it should last life of rv.

It may be too short of hose or some other silly issue.

Request they fix it so it will not break again meaning better parts or slight modification.

Yours likely not first one if a poor design.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Is the fitting leaking on hose side or is it bad fitting?

If repaired twice it was not repaired once but worked on twice.

These should last life of unit so something not right.

Do NOT mess with it and use roof air...period.

If it has been worked on twice and still failing then something is wrong big time.

Combine this with fact if leaking gas it also leaking oil so you could be low.

Using system low on gas could cause compressor to fail...not good.

If going to CC for other work then first ask why it broke the first time as it should last life of rv.

It may be too short of hose or some other silly issue.

Request they fix it so it will not break again meaning better parts or slight modification.

Yours likely not first one if a poor design.
I agree the 'repairs' have not been done correctly. It was first repaired by Tom Johnson RV in Concord, NC. They had a guy in a van come in and make up a new hose with new fittings. However, I watched him crimp the new hose to the existing hose and that is where it leaked.

Three months later when we were at CC in Oregon, installed a new fitting (crimped it on) and it lasted 6 months.

I am done with 'RV' shops doing the repair. I spoke to a local Thermo King shop and they also said something is obviously not being done correctly. He said they make up their own hoses and use special fittings (said something about a cage?). I am taking the coach to them.

Yes, I could see dye and oil around the leaking area. I have not run the system since it last quit.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #12

Talk to a "real" hose place about fittings and hoses....

We once had a fitting from bobcat and was asking at hose and fittings store ( parker) about using it on their hose to make an oddball hose and they flat refused.

Stated hoses and fittings are designed together and if not correct will not properly compress and WILL fail.

So using an unknown fitting and hose combination can be an issue as the crimper is set for a certian combination and different materials could result in too loose or crushing structure.

If the hose is known then then it can be terminated with proper branded fitting and then a short hose can be attached there.

Best to replace hose as a complete unit but that may not be possible.

In our case back to bobcat and found a chunk of "oops" in their remnant pile that wss brand new hose with correct fitting but wss cut too short for them but too long for our need...got 60 dollars in material free and had them make our hose.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Talk to a "real" hose place about fittings and hoses....

We once had a fitting from bobcat and was asking at hose and fittings store ( parker) about using it on their hose to make an oddball hose and they flat refused.

Stated hoses and fittings are designed together and if not correct will not properly compress and WILL fail.

So using an unknown fitting and hose combination can be an issue as the crimper is set for a certian combination and different materials could result in too loose or crushing structure.

If the hose is known then then it can be terminated with proper branded fitting and then a short hose can be attached there.

Best to replace hose as a complete unit but that may not be possible.

In our case back to bobcat and found a chunk of "oops" in their remnant pile that wss brand new hose with correct fitting but wss cut too short for them but too long for our need...got 60 dollars in material free and had them make our hose.
My fitting is leaking where it connects to a long hose that disappears into the engine area and I suspect runs all the way to the front of the coach. I am sure they are not going to want to replace it. I will be curious to see how they deal with it.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #14

That is what I suspect.

Do try to determine the exact hose by wiping it down and look for brand or trade name.