Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #1

Adding a brake control

I'm getting ready to add an electric brake control for my trailer. I'm having trouble locating the wiring under the dash for this. I found what I think are the trailer lights wire and there is a grey wire running beside it. I can't seem to locate the ends of these to be sure what they are. Before I splice into anything anyone got any tips?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
I'm getting ready to add an electric brake control for my trailer. I'm having trouble locating the wiring under the dash for this. I found what I think are the trailer lights wire and there is a grey wire running beside it. I can't seem to locate the ends of these to be sure what they are. Before I splice into anything anyone got any tips?
I've never heard of the factory installing a trailer brake wire, but I could be wrong. What I do know about is some spare wires that were installed to use for any purpose needed. I have some that start in the electronics bay outside and below the driver. They end up inside the battery bay. There are others also but they don't come to mind at this time (getting old) .

Good luck,
Old 08-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

Can you find the spare wires at the rear of the coach? If so, you can use something like http://www.amazon.com/Triplett-3399-Generator-Adjustable-Sensitivity/dp/B001ULPREW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439863879&sr=8-1&keywords=triplett+fox+and+hound
this to find the wires up front.

On my Magna, there are several spare wires in a flexible conduit extending to the bottom of the chassis just in front of the mud flap, each with a wire number. For my coach the wires are numbered 4, 5, 6, & 7. These wires run from the rear of the coach to the front run board and then to the dash.

Your owners manual should give you the wire numbers for the wire you are trying to find.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #4

OK. Back on this project. I found wires in the plug at the rear of the coach. The trailer plug is wired for a trailer brake. Problem is I can't find the other end of the wires. Any ideas on where to look? I have looked under the dash and in the panel in front of the front wheel.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Those wires go to the tow board. Where it is located on your coach, I have no idea. It could be in the engine compartment or in the bedroom under a drawer like mine.

Look in the manual for a picture of what it looks like
Old 11-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #6

I've been all through the manual and can't seem to locate the "tow board". Next time I visit the coach I will look in the bedroom. Might just break down and call CC and pay for info.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #7

OK. I found out from CC (free advice) that the plug is not wired for brakes. The wires I thought were for a trailer brake are actually for towing a vehicle with seperate brake and turn signal bulbs.

"Unfortunately the coach is not wired or pre-wired for a brake control, the

wiring in the tow plug in the brake control location is actually the brake

light signal. This is wired so that a vehicle with separate turn and brake lights can be towed.

This wire will have to be disconnected from the plug when wiring in a brake control.

There are spare wires in the engine compartment and in the front run bay that can be

used to run the controller output signal but they can be difficult to find at times. These

wires could be used or new one run down the bottom of the bays from front to rear.

The brake light signal wire and power supply can be pulled from the front run bay for

the controller to operate off of also."

I ordered a wireless Tekonsha Prodogy brake control. I hope it works as advertised. It looks pretty straight forward.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

Got the Prodogy installed and it works as advertised. I did have to add a 12 volt wire to the open contact in the coach plug. There were only six wires in there and the empty terminal was the hot one needed for the control.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #9

Good info. We're having a custom trailer built to haul our four seat Can-am UTV and fishing boat with and will be having a least one axle with electric brakes, so this helps out a lot. I'll have to go lookup that Prodigy unit. While I'm not a fan of inertia brake controllers, in our case there are not many options and I'd hope that they have gotten better over the years.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #10

There are wires behind radio panel & they go to the jumper panel in engine compartment behind the hydraulic tank, I have 2005 magna, my electrician used a pinging device to hook to that panel in engine compartment & then went up behind dash & radio panel till it started beeping & was able to find. You may have already figured it out but maybe help next guy.
milehitruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake