Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Adding Ventilation To Entertainment Cabinet

Having lost one DVR to excessive heat in a previously owned coach, I wanted to make sure it did not happen again. It's a hassle to get a replacement TiVo-capable DTV DVR while on the road. The only practical solution I could come up with is adding supplemental ventilation to the enclosure in which the DVR is installed.

Like everything else, there are trade-offs. The more air to be moved, the more noise there is likely to be. DW is extraneous-noise-intolerant. Size is directly proportional to the amount of air moved and I have to find a way to get it installed within the limited space allocated to entertainment electronic devices.

I had previously tried various muffin-type and small high-RPM DC squirrel cage fans used in computers and electronic devices. They were way too noisy and way too anemic as air movers. Knowing that most HVAC systems use squirrel cage blowers to move as much air as quietly as practical, I searched the web and came up with the model below. These small blowers are used in fireplace inserts and other noise-sensitive, low volume air handling situations.

I found this one on Amazon but they're widely available elsewhere.

Small Quiet Blower

--------------------------------------------------------------

You'll notice that I mention steps taken to minimize the effect of the blower motor's heat on nearby wiring and wonder if all that heat does not defeat the purpose of the blower. Well, after installing this blower the internal temperature of the DVR went from 48c/108f to 42c/118f, a 10f degree drop. That's inside the DVR as reported by the DVR. The reason is that this moves 75 cfm compared to 15 cfm for a muffin fan that does not overwhelm all other sound in the room.

Since there were switches on the panel face from the previous attempt to get additional ventilation I used then to enable powering up the blower separately. Noise is not an issue now but with the previously installed fans, we wanted to turn them on only when necessary.

Around the top-front of the cockpit there is a hollow duct-like structure that I wanted to push air from the electronic entertainment cubby hole through. The air exits out the original TV enclosure.

All's cool and quiet in the entertainment electronics enclosure now.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

Great shots, and nice looking job!! We just had some work done, where I had the Genie, Oppo BluRay, and Marantz AVR installed in that cabinet. The Marantz was a tight fit, so could not have fan or power strip added behind the components. I had them drill several 1" holes, as well as a 1" slot along the back of the cabinet wall that is to the right. Put the power strip in that cabinet, and have added wire connections into that cabinet to facilitate auxiliary HDMI and USB connections to both the Marantaz and Oppo, also fed the Dongle fro the Oppo into that cabinet. And, finally, also ran another USB and Firewire from the cabinet to the right, into feed the AV components. These are for a hard drive to stream videos and music off of.

So far, I've been monitoring the temps, with only the breathing 1" holes, and what I call the conduit slot along the back to feed wires thru. The temps flow from the AV cabinet, into the larger cabinet. I've been OK so far, but as you pointed out, temps can damage and shorten the life of components. So, I'll probably add ultra quiet pancake fans to help pull the air out of the cabinet. So far, I've avoided cutting holes into the AV Cabinets left side, that would be seen from the stair well. Will do this, and add fans to that side if I feel I need them.

Really like your fan job, and look forward to progress posts as things develop.

When I get mine wrapped up, I'll take some pictures and share them too - as that is how we all get to learn form each other!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #3

I put my DVR in the cabinet behind the TV, where your TV is mounted.

That is a big chamber but does get heat from the roof brow and windshield area.

My backing board for the TV has holes in it that allow the cooled air from the salon to enter the cabinet and the hot air to escape.

Great job and explanation on your project.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

Thanks, guys. Sounds like you have your ventilation covered. I was hoping that the newer DVR's would have solid state memory like PC's are starting to use. That would make them less temperature sensitive. But in the case of the DVR we like, there's no option for that.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #5

CoCoDave
A squirrel cage fan does move a lot air!
However some use 1 or 2 "laptop cooling pads":
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=laptop+cooling+pad
....while some can simply open the entertainment cabinet door and keep things sufficiently cool.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent