Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Advice requested on CC purchase

We are looking to buy a 1999 Intrigue and would love any advice or encouragement. We are also looking at 2000/01/02. Any advantage to a later model? The '99 has low miles and is clean. Thank you for your help

LaughingBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
We just purchased a 98 Magna a few months ago. I don't think you can go wrong.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
99 Intrigue

I have a 98 Intrigue. I wouldn't leave home without it. Oh, wait, it is my home. My wife and I have been fulltiming in it for 5 years now and we love it. Here is my take on some of the newer CC out there. After subscribing to the CC owners group on yahoo, I have heard nothing but complaints and problems. It seemed to me that it was for model years after 2000. It is my opinion that after 2000 CC started to go more high tech with different systems. I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. method Keep It Simple Stupid. Remember what Mr. Scott on Star Trek said "The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". Go with the older 99 Intrigue, you won't regret it. If I can be of any service to you with wiring diagrams or anything else, you can find me right here.
Steven USCG EMC Retired
Lilli Pi(the crazy cat)
1998 Country Coach Intrigue 2000 Jeep Sahara w/Stay in Play Duo
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
CC is great coach. We have a 2002 36' Intrigue. Some issues I've had with our coach. #1 radiator was Aluminum and we had to replace it. Make sure your generator has some hours on that come close to the hrs on the engine. (look at the hr meter) I should have included the cost of new tires in my offer. (They recommend replacing them at 5-7 yrs) The tread maybe great but the sidewalls are the problem. Get all the maintenance records. If they don't have them have a top notch mechanic go through the drive train, (ours has a Cummins so take it to a Cummins shop/dealer). I use Rocky Mnt Cummins when I'm out west). If it has a slide check the gaskets, look for water leaks from the ceiling, make sure all your tanks hold the fluids with out leaks. Check the toilet seal and make sure it holds water. And lastly go to rv.org pay what they are asking and read all the material. There maybe some other resources that tell you what to look for when buying a coach but I haven't found them.
Good Luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
According to the techs that built them and are now servicing them through their own companies, the sweet spot is the years between '98 and '04. This is when the company was in their prime and built excellent coaches.

I have a '02 Intrigue with 120,000 miles on it and I have replaced the radiator and cracked exhaust manifolds. These problems are not brand specific and can happen to any brand coach you buy.

I would not be afraid to buy a '99. You didn't give any specifics so can't give spe ific info. The only reasonto get a newer model would be for the Hurricane heater which was available.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Laughing Bird - We have a 2002 Affinity. Two things that immediately come to my mind is more than one slide on the later years you specified and also independent front suspension.

What is really important is if you like the floor plan. My wife and I bought our coach 5 years ago and when we were looking there were lots of Country Coaches for sale with 4 slides. We could have bought a lower end 4 slide later year, less miles Country coach for what we paid for our high end with two slides. We really liked the slightly longer 2 slide. So for you, you need to find the floor plan you are happy with.

Independent front suspension came with 2002 Affinities. I think 2001 was the first year. According to people who say they know IRS rides better. I don't know as when we were looking I did not pay attention to if the coach had IRS or not. The other advantage of IRS is that the turning radius is smaller (So I am told). Smaller turning radius is a good thing. Ours really turns quickly and that has helped many many times to get into and out of tight spots. Lately I have heard some coaches are going back to solid front axel because it costs less.

Past those two things I can't think of anything.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
We purchased a 2004 Intrigue #11772 this spring. Worked for 2 months to make sure everything was working. It had less than 25K miles and had never been serviced. I spent $6,500 on the chassis and gen service and repair, $3,500 on tires and another $1,000 on general stuff. This unit came with the proper radiator and pumps so we did not have those problems. We just returned fro 5,000 miles to WA, OR, CA and Idaho and never had a problem. We love the layout and the 3 slides. I just do not know what took us so long to make up our minds. That said I updated the front and rear TV's and replaced the frig with a Samsung 197 - it really is the best thing we ever did. That cost another $3,000. Oh well its just our life's savings. Anyway it appears you should not forget the costs of annual maintenance - I suspect it will be at least $1,000 per year but others may have a better answer on that aspect.
Ed and Barb Burgess
2004 42' Country Coach Tag, Intrigue
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Thank you, Everyone, for your great advice, encouragement and taking the time to answer our query. Now the search is on to find just the right coach for us. Safe and happy travels to all of you.

LaughingBird is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, purchase