Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

? Affinity Purchase- What to Check

I am looking at a 2005 Affinity. It appears to be in good shape with lowish to moderate miles and well maintained. Superficially everything looks great, maintenance appears to be up to date (I will check records), tires are new, all looks in order. We like the floor plan, there were a lot of custom touches put into the coach at original build and we like all of them. My question is...while I plan on having it professionally inspected, what are the weak areas that I should be looking at when doing my own evaluation?
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since you live in Oregon (and assuming the coach is also there), I would highly recommend Kevin Waite in Junction City for your inspection. Kevin is a former CC tech and has his own RV repair business. He does inspections.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #3

We have a 2002 Affinity. Few problems. However, there were significant changes in 2005. We have the CAT C12. I don't know if you have the C13 or C15, but there were some of them called the Acert motors that there were issues with. I was parked next to a guy summer before last in the camp area behind the Country Coach factory. He had bought a used Magna which went to different windows in 2005. Ours slide open from the side. No issues. But the 2005 were mostly sealed and you could open the bottom by pushing it out. His windows leaked the vacuum in the double pane part. He had just had them replaced. I think Affinity had the same windows as the Magnas.

We have owned our Affinity for 6 1/2 years and like it a lot. Ours drives very well and we have put lots of fun miles on it.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Since you live in Oregon (and assuming the coach is also there), I would highly recommend Kevin Waite in Junction City for your inspection. Kevin is a former CC tech and has his own RV repair business. He does inspections.
I totally agree with Smitty's suggestion. Kevin is one of the good guys and is very knowledgeable about Country Coaches.

If the coach isn't in OR, Kevin will travel.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #5

It is a C13, which I have heard were a little less trouble than the C15 but I had not heard anything significantly bad about either. Would live to hear what to be concerned about. I have also found in my research that some had Aluminum radiators shich could (?) be problematic and might want to consider replacing? I also heard that some had a dry PTO (I am familiar with Power take offs from Old Series Land Rovers but don't know what it means for MH's). I heard that the dry PTOs should have had a "wet kit" added but don't really know what that refers to. I don't know if either of those were common in the 2005 Affinity.
Thanks for the information. I am in Oregon but there are 2 Coaches now that I am considering. Both the same floorplan and year. One close to Oregon, the other farther away.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:54 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I was parked next to a guy summer before last in the camp area behind the Country Coach factory. He had bought a used Magna which went to different windows in 2005. Ours slide open from the side. No issues. But the 2005 were mostly sealed and you could open the bottom by pushing it out. His windows leaked the vacuum in the double pane part. He had just had them replaced. I think Affinity had the same windows as the Magnas.
Our '09 Magna has the standard sliding windows, not the flush mount ones and we wouldn't have the flush ones due to their lack of flow for ventilation.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
It is a C13, which I have heard were a little less trouble than the C15 but I had not heard anything significantly bad about either. Would live to hear what to be concerned about. I have also found in my research that some had Aluminum radiators shich could (?) be problematic and might want to consider replacing? I also heard that some had a dry PTO (I am familiar with Power take offs from Old Series Land Rovers but don't know what it means for MH's). I heard that the dry PTOs should have had a "wet kit" added but don't really know what that refers to. I don't know if either of those were common in the 2005 Affinity.
Thanks for the information. I am in Oregon but there are 2 Coaches now that I am considering. Both the same floorplan and year. One close to Oregon, the other farther away.
Nothing really wrong with the aluminum core but CC (and other manufacturers) were using some radiators that had issues where the core attached to the tanks. I believe there was some epoxy involved. Replacement is not cheap and I am told can run $5 - $7K if you pay someone else to do it. CC started using a new and improved radiator sometime in 2007, at least that is what they told me.

If the coach has the dry PTO, some folks just have the unit removed and the spline greased periodically. Many had the wet kit installed which bathes the spline with transmission fluid.

http://www.jdrv1.com/id13.html
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

With regard to the Cat motor series, I had just heard that when Cat went to a new motor called Acert that there were issues with it. Past that, ? I don't think you have a dry PTO. I believe that was on the smaller Cat's. I see that "Mr D" has standard windows like we have. That must mean the sealed windows were and option. We have had no issues with the standard slide windows.

I guess the biggest thing about a motorhome is if you still like it after having it a while. We still use and like ours a lot. I can't say it has been trouble free though. The build quality and components used in making an Affinity are first class. No cheap corners taken. Most motorhomes cannot say that. Does not mean they don't break.

The two biggest issues in our coach have been the slide leaks. And the transmission going bad. I blame the slide leaks on having a hard time finding competent repair places. I replaced both slide seals about 2010 a year after we got the coach. If anyone had told us we needed to do more we would have done so. But the leaks went on with slides out and wind + rain. We started going to get work done at the Country Coach factory. They replaced the front slide seal about 2012. Nobody said to me. The top caulk needs to be replaced. Slides still leaked. Then at another visit to the JC factory in 2014 I think Kevin Casco said, you are supposed to replace the top caulk every couple of years. Our tech did that and blew out the drain down lower on the coach. Finally leaks fixed. So that was 4 years of frustration at getting the problem actually fixed. Oh, and $6,500.

Then 3 weeks before our extended warranty expired I was having the transmission serviced. There was nothing wrong with it operationally, but I did not know the last time the fluid had been changed. So I had a shop in this area do the work. These $#@@#$ called me one Friday and said, we are having a slight problem with your transmission. We pulled it into our bay for service, did the service, and it broke. I told them that was a big problem. The coach had to be towed 100 miles and the transmission replaced. It did not cost me anything, but lets just say I don't go back to that shop any more.

Past that, the Affinity is a great coach. One of the very best without going to a Prevost. And I only say that without the experience of ever driving a Prevost.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #9

The Cat ACERT motors did start production in 2003 and reached vehicles by 2004. I currently have a C7 ACERT and haven't had any trouble in the 17,000 miles I have driven it in the past 17 months since we purchased it, but This is a big step up in a Coach for us so I am trying to learn everything I can. The Windows are the flush fit ones. Can someone tell me the difference? All windows will lose their seal eventually so I am not worried about that. The lack of ventilation though does bother me in concept. Do they not open very wide?
Old 04-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #10

Like I said, we parked next to a coach at the Country Coach factory camp lot two or three summers ago and he had just bought a 2005 Magna with the flush windows that were added in 2005. His had fogged and he had them repaired in Junction City by a company that does that.

There is usually a bottom vent on these windows that opens out. Some ventilation, but not as much as sliding half the window open.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #11

Thanks! This Coach just had all of it's windows redone at the CC factory so it too much have leaked. I'll have to evaluate the airflow, good tip! We don't tend to open window a lot as we both have seasonal allergies and like to keep inside the coach relatively allergen free, but we absolutely do open them. We had tilt out windows on our Trailers and they were adequate but these may be different so will check them out carefully.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

If the coach has the dry PTO, some folks just have the unit removed and the spline greased periodically. Many had the wet kit installed which bathes the spline with transmission fluid.

CHELSEA PTO
I was told that all the units with the ISX came with the wet PTO, I know ours does. Don't know about the ones with CAT's

We specifically wanted the side opening windows. We have seven cats that go with us and have two cages that hang over the windows with cat doors in a plexiglass filler piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150620_201714.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	124142  
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #13

Just a note on the aluminum radiator. When we purchased our 2005 Allure, I knew that the radiators had been a problem, so I purchased an extended warranty through Wholesale Warranties, the actual warranty company is Protrek. It cost me $4400.00 for 48 months/ 48000 miles but when the radiator started leaking a couple of months ago the replacement costs were $8475.00. They paid all but $900.00. It's also paid about $7000.00 in other repairs.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:34 AM   #14

Well, the radiator has been changed and the coach has the PTO wet kit installed so good on those points. Test drive, independent inspection as well as oil sample and CAT plug in to go!
Extended Warranty is a must! Have one now on the current coach. It has paid for itself.

Tags
purchase