Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #1

Affinity tag axle won't stay up

This is my first post to iRV2, but I have read a number of them and hope someone might be able to help me.

I have a 2001 Country Coach Affinity with tag axle. The tag axle raises when the parking brake is set and I rock the switch forward, but whenever I take the brake off it immediately lowers. My understanding is that it should remain raised when driving or backing slowly, and lower when I turn off the rocker switch or reach a certain speed.

Any ideas? Do I have a bad sensor or something? Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #2

Have you tried raising the tag after you turn the parking brake off? The only time you need to raise the tag is when you are making a very sharp turn. It should automatically come down when speed reaches 5 MPH.

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:33 PM   #3

Welcome to the gang!

Peralko's test on seeing if goes back up may tell you if it's OK.

That being said, I thought it was 10 mph before it goes back down automatically, suppose it could be different for different years(?). So, perhaps you have a speed sensor problem tied into the Tag thinking it needs to go down(?).

Will follow this thread as it evolves. I you find your answer elsewhere, please let us know!!!

Enjoy your fine coach,
Smitty
Old 11-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #4

MrBill-ski - I have a 2002 Affinity with a tag. My tag comes up when I move the tag up switch on the panel to the left of the drivers seat. The rocker switch on mine is just to the right of the engine brake switches. My tag is not interconnected at all to the parking brake. I raise mine when I back up, I need to make a very sharp turn usually when parking or fitting in an RV spot, or I raise it when going slow and I am about to make a sharp turn. Mine auto goes down when I hit 14 mph. That is the speed indicated in my manual and is verified by my experience.

I cannot imagine why yours goes up when you put the parking brake on. There is no reason for that I can think of.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
MrBill-ski - I have a 2002 Affinity with a tag. My tag comes up when I move the tag up switch on the panel to the left of the drivers seat. The rocker switch on mine is just to the right of the engine brake switches. My tag is not interconnected at all to the parking brake. I raise mine when I back up, I need to make a very sharp turn usually when parking or fitting in an RV spot, or I raise it when going slow and I am about to make a sharp turn. Mine auto goes down when I hit 14 mph. That is the speed indicated in my manual and is verified by my experience.

I cannot imagine why yours goes up when you put the parking brake on. There is no reason for that I can think of.
This is how mine works, and basically what I do, also - that is if I don't forget to.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #6

Hi Peralko, Smitty, Bob and SRH. Thanks for your responses and sorry for the slow acknowledgement. We've been parked for several weeks at the Sea Mist RV Park at Dam Neck Navy Base in Virginia Beach, VA and I only just now had a reason to fire up the coach to test some of your suggestions.

Alas, my problem statement wasn't quite right: the tag raises when in Neutral and stays up until I put it in Drive or Reverse, when it immediately re-inflates the bags to lower the axle.

It doesn't matter whether I raise it with the parking brake on or off. It comes up just fine when in Neutral, but drops immediately when I put it into Drive or Reverse. I also tried raising it WHILE ALREADY IN Drive and Reverse, and it won't raise.

I think I'm going to have to take it into a shop for a deeper look. I'm guessing Smitty is right and I have a bad sensor that thinks I'm rolling when I'm not.

Thanks, Bill
Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Bill: Yes, I would definitely have it checked. If you post what you find out that will be great!
All the best!