Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Air Bags....Manual Leveling Question(s)

No MH for me yet....(still lurking) but I have a couple of questions re manual leveling.

1. I noted on a '99 CC Affinity for sale that it has air bags (of course) but manual leveling. I'm thinking auto leveling was not available then, perhaps. In any event, is manual leveling vice auto leveling a pretty big deal? Also, I have read on another forum that a DP owner could hear his HWH auto leveling system constantly exhausting as he was driving slowly through Yellowstone with the driver's window open .....evidently auto leveling on almost every curve. Amazing.

2. SOoooo....would a coach with the manual system be leaning to port while driving on an interstate with a 30MPH wind from starboard.....about the same amount as a spring-type coach w/o air bags would lean? (I am "guessing" that a unit with auto leveling would be compensating ...... but maybe the "auto" part is locked out at higher speeds?)

All enlightenment greatly appreciated.

Ed Sievers in Fairview, TX
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #2

That Affinity came with auto leveling just like our coach did. If it has manual leveling it means the auto system is no longer working for whatever reason.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #3

OK , I'm thinking we have a bit of a problem with terms here.
Manual leveling VS auto leveling , refers to the jack system for setting your coach up for the night. Push one button VS , dump the air and control each jack individually.
Auto ride height control, is the system that helps keep the coach on an even keel while driving, most ( if not all ) coaches with air suspension have this feature.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

I don't believe we're talking ride height level. His coach and mine came with a auto leveling system that uses the air bags to level the coach when you set up for the night. Hit the on button twice, and the coach levels itself. Jacks were not generally used on Affinitys.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
OK , I'm thinking we have a bit of a problem with terms here.
Manual leveling VS auto leveling , refers to the jack system for setting your coach up for the night. Push one button VS , dump the air and control each jack individually.
Auto ride height control, is the system that helps keep the coach on an even keel while driving, most ( if not all ) coaches with air suspension have this feature.
Ah Skip, Country Coaches of that year level with the air bags, there are no jacks.

The HWH auto system requires a couple of pushes of the level button and then the computer levels the coach. If you want, you can dump the air and then hit the level button. Doing it this way takes longer to level because you have to re inflate a bag or two to get level. I pull in and hit the level button and the computer than decides which bags to deflate to level the coach,

The leveling system doesn't come into play while in travel mode. Going around corners will still give you a lean but the ride height height valves will keep the coach level to some extent.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

[QUOTE=dons2346;1601484]Ah Skip, Country Coaches of that year level with the air bags, there are no jacks.

QUOTE]
I stand corrected.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #7

My answers in red below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
No MH for me yet....(still lurking) but I have a couple of questions re manual leveling.

1. I noted on a '99 CC Affinity for sale that it has air bags (of course) but manual leveling.

That rig, depending upon its current condition, is probably one of the very best production coaches you can target. It is top of the CC production lineup.

I'm thinking auto leveling was not available then, perhaps. In any event, is manual leveling vice auto leveling a pretty big deal?

No, on all automatic air leveling systems, one can adjust the attitude of the parked coach manually if one so chooses.

This feature also is handy at very, very low speed if your rig has to squat to enter the garage door or rise to get over a hump in the road.

My 1995 Magna has the auto air leveling from HWH.

Also, I have read on another forum that a DP owner could hear his HWH auto leveling system constantly exhausting as he was driving slowly through Yellowstone with the driver's window open .....evidently auto leveling on almost every curve. Amazing.

Drove there, but did not hear the leveling system exhausting. The brake air dryer valve exhausts but not just on curves.

2. SOoooo....would a coach with the manual system be leaning to port while driving on an interstate with a 30MPH wind from starboard.....about the same amount as a spring-type coach w/o air bags would lean? (I am "guessing" that a unit with auto leveling would be compensating ...... but maybe the "auto" part is locked out at higher speeds?)

I have detected no lean of the air bag springs due to side winds. The ride height system likely compensates for that event.

Our rig has been pushed around a bit in the Dakotas with steady 30+ mile broadside winds across the entire state.

A air suspension system is far superior in comfort and handling to a metal spring based system (IMHO and experience).

All enlightenment greatly appreciated.

Ed Sievers in Fairview, TX
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Re the Auto Level on a '99 Affinity

Thanks a TON for all the responses. I am a lot more educated than I was....for sure.

The more I think about it, I suspect there may be a typo involved here (perhaps the word "manual" should read "auto" in the leveling description.) This beautiful Affinity is listed at PPL in Houston and it is surely priced right if there are no major problems. It is a bit outside my budget line, but it sure makes one drool.

I note apparent typos in PPL ads from time to time; e.g., they currently have a Tiffin Allegro Bus that touts a 275HP 8.3 ISC CAT. I am still a novice, but I don't believe the term "ISC" belongs with the term "CAT"?

Thanks again guys......and safe travels. Ed S.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Thanks a TON for all the responses. I am a lot more educated than I was....for sure.

The more I think about it, I suspect there may be a typo involved here (perhaps the word "manual" should read "auto" in the leveling description.) This beautiful Affinity is listed at PPL in Houston and it is surely priced right if there are no major problems. It is a bit outside my budget line, but it sure makes one drool.

Thanks again guys......and safe travels. Ed S.
If that one is outside your budget line, we might consider selling ours after Country Coach has finished refurbishing the chassis--it does have automatic leveling!
Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #10

Air Leveling

I have a 2007 Tribute and the HWH is great for auto level. where we have the problem with the air bag leveling system is the rocking sensationand motion felt even on level ground. It feels like sometimes you aren't stable and on a boat.. Another owner mentioned placing stabilizers in the the front and the back to support and give more of a grounded feel. Anyone had this issue and a fix for it?

Thanks CG
cgadberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgadberry View Post
I have a 2007 Tribute and the HWH is great for auto level. where we have the problem with the air bag leveling system is the rocking sensationand motion felt even on level ground. It feels like sometimes you aren't stable and on a boat.. Another owner mentioned placing stabilizers in the the front and the back to support and give more of a grounded feel. Anyone had this issue and a fix for it?

Thanks CG
On level ground dump all the air. I do not have slides, so I level first and then dump most of the air. Seems to stay level when done.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling